Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Wales - Nations Cup - 08/02/11 - 7:45PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I like the idea of this tournament.

At least it will be semi competitive. February always means International Friendlies. I dont believe there would be any more benefit playing a non-competitive friendly, even against some of the World's footballing super-powers.

In May 2010 we played two successive friendlies against Paraguay and Algeria. Neither was competitive, nor inspiring. At least there will be some pride to play for against Scotland and Northern Ireland.

All round, I believe this competition will be more advantageousthen three friendlies against Brazil, Paraguay and Algeria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Ireland team news

Ireland boss Trapattoni will hand debuts to Seamus Coleman and Ciaran Clark in midweek.

Coleman, who has been in fine form for Everton this season, will start on the right side of midfield, while promising Aston Villa defender Clark has been named at left-back.

Trapattoni has yet to choose between Darron Gibson and Paul Green for a central midfield berth alongside Glenn Whelan, but the Italian has confirmed that Stoke striker Jonathan Walters will make his first start up front, partnering Kevin Doyle.

Wales team news

Speed has handed the Wales captaincy to Aston Villa centre-back James Collins, with Craig Bellamy having relinquished the role.

He will be partnered by namesake Danny Collins at the heart of the defence and they will be flanked by Neal Eardley and Sam Ricketts, with Wayne Hennessey in goal.

Andrew Crofts, Andy King and David Vaughan will line up in midfield, while Reading duo Simon Church and Hal Robson-Kanu will be in attack alongside Rob Earnshaw.

The likes of Bellamy, Ashley Williams and Joe Ledley are being rested after playing in tough local derbies on Sunday.

Boskowski wrote: »
    How do you guys actually think about this tournament anyway?

I think it's the most pointless idea anyone organizing football tournaments ever had. Maybe it's different when you're Irish and obviously I wouldn't know about that but what is the Irish squad going to get out of repeatedly playing 3 of the arguably poorest sides in Europe?

Between the schedule, the ticket prices and the participants it seems totally uninteresting. Or is it just me thinking that?

Sorry. I dont think anybody could advance the argument that Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are amongst the poorest sides in the world. Most of the former soviet states, and the Principality teams remain the poorest in Europe. In fact, Ireland, Scotland and Northern Ireland are resident in Pot Three. They may not be great sides, but by UEFA calibrations they are not poles apart in terms of ability, and this could make for competitive games. At least 24 teams rank below Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Het-Field wrote: »
    Sorry. I dont think anybody could advance the argument that Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are amongst the poorest sides in the world. Most of the former soviet states, and the Principality teams remain the poorest in Europe. In fact, Ireland, Scotland and Northern Ireland are resident in Pot Three. They may not be great sides, but by UEFA calibrations they are not poles apart in terms of ability, and this could make for competitive games. At least 24 teams rank below Northern Ireland.

You misread, I wrote 'Europe' and I do believe that argument can be made.

You misread, I wrote 'Europe' and I do believe that argument can be made.

Sorry, you cant call it "Europe" and not include the likes of Latvia, Lithuania, San Marino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Des wrote: »
    anyone hoping to watch on S4C, be warned that the commentary will be in Welsh

Can you get S4c on Upc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I might be mistaken, but aren't N. Ireland only 3 or 4 places behind us in the rankings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

roryc wrote: »
    I might be mistaken, but aren't N. Ireland only 3 or 4 places behind us in the rankings?

Ya, we are 35th, they are 38th, Scotland are 53rd and Wales are 116th.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=201

Jesus Wales have gone to sh*t... didn't realise they had fallen so much. In fairness though, I can't remember them beating anyone in years other than Lichtienstein or Luxumbourg.

• Advertisement

Scotland - 15
    Ireland - 31
    Wales - 46
    Northern Ireland - 49

out of a total of 53.

Not great in terms of playing against stronger opposition in order to improve.
    I would even argue that Scotland - albeit being much higher in the current ranking - is not actually stronger than the Republic.

So the question remains what is the Republic getting out of this? Are we expecting this tournament to create some sort of tradition thing over a 'British Isles' competition, like e.g. the Six Nations in Rugby?

Scotland - 15
    Ireland - 31
    Wales - 46
    Northern Ireland - 49

out of a total of 53.

Not great in terms of playing against stronger opposition in order to improve.
    I would even argue that Scotland - albeit being much higher in the current ranking - is not actually stronger than the Republic.

So the question remains what is the Republic getting out of this? Are we expecting this tournament to create some sort of tradition thing over a 'British Isles' competition, like e.g. the Six Nations in Rugby?

Where are you getting these figures from.

As for what are we getting out of it... errrr... we might actually win something? The World Cup is unlikely to ever be on show in Merrion Square...

Where are you getting these figures from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#Current_ranking

P.S. I think I may have made a mistake, this seems more like a club league ranking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That's league not International teams.

Only thing England will come first in.

So our ranking is low in the UEFA rankings mainly because we have such a sh*t domestic league? That sucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

We actually have a half decent team apart from the central midfield. Unfortunately, it's also the most critical outfield position. If you can't control the engine room, every match will be a struggle.

Fancy the Welsh to take us tonight tbh.

• Advertisement

Mildly amusing that the 'stars' in the radio ad have all pulled out now.

We actually have a half decent team apart from the central midfield. Unfortunately, it's also the most critical outfield position. If you can't control the engine room, every match will be a struggle.

Fancy the Welsh to take us tonight tbh.

Beyond their reasonably competent looking defence, the dont have anything to offer. The absence of the likes of Bale,Ledley, Ramsey, Collison, Bellamy and Gabbidon is a major bonus for Ireland.

I expect a 2-0 victory to the Boys in Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So our ranking is low in the UEFA rankings mainly because we have such a sh*t domestic league? That sucks...

How else would it be ranked??? It decides how many of our domestic teams get entered into UEFA's competition and at what stage!

Het-Field wrote: »
    Beyond their reasonably competent looking defence, the dont have anything to offer. The absence of the likes of Bale,Ledley, Ramsey, Collison, Bellamy and Gabbidon is a major bonus for Ireland.

I expect a 2-0 victory to the Boys in Green.

David Vaughan has been class for Blackpool this season and have you seen Andy King's goalscoring record in the Championship for a central midfielder? Only a matter of time before he's playing in the Premier League. Both would walk into this Irish team.

Hope you're right about the victory, really wouldn't be surprised if they turn us over though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

L'prof wrote: »
    How else would it be ranked??? It decides how many of our domestic teams get entered into UEFA's competition and at what stage!

I think you have your wires cross! Ireland, the national team's ranking is so low because they are sh1t. Not the league. Just to clear that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Yeah. You can't really compare it to the premier league or anything. That being said, there is a lot more people in England.

BTW, that's mad that you're from Alcaidesa. I go there all the time.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think you have your wires cross! Ireland, the national team's ranking is so low because they are sh1t. Not the league. Just to clear that up.

Nope, not my wires...UEFA rankings = club competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

David Vaughan has been class for Blackpool this season and have you seen Andy King's goalscoring record in the Championship for a central midfielder? Only a matter of time before he's playing in the Premier League. Both would walk into this Irish team.

Hope you're right about the victory, really wouldn't be surprised if they turn us over though.
    A goalscoring central midfielder in the championship would walk into the Ireland team?

Let me just go inform Wes Hoolahan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Nope, not my wires...UEFA rankings = club competitions.

Right I'm lost :pac:

Ireland are 25th in the rankings list for seeding for UEFA events.
    Whereas the LOI is 31st ranked in the leagues.

Where the LOI is ranked 31st is what is used to see how many teams enter european competition.
    Where Ireland is 25th is what is used for qualification for European events yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I would guess that the associations are not aiming anywhere near that high. But changing meaningless friendlies into something slightly more interesting is sounding like a good idea to me.

Even though the quality of opposition isn't great (for anybody in the competition), it's still a good run out and chance for the team to work together.

Actually, I think competition with teams around your own level does have benefit. The test might not be as difficult, but the team gets to hone their skills in a lower stress environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is this being streamed live on rte.ie? I dont see any mention of it in their line up

Is this being streamed live on rte.ie? I dont see any mention of it in their line up

I'd be surprised since it's live on Sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

No, they're showing highlights later tonight though.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    A goalscoring central midfielder in the championship would walk into the Ireland team?

Let me just go inform Wes Hoolahan.

Andy King is younger and better than Hoolahan though. But you have a point though, change 'would' to 'should'. Hoolahan should in the Irish squad at the very least, and ahead of Whelan or Gibson on current form but isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Pillow-check
    Duvet-check
    Ear plugs- not needed
    Dreamy Sleepy Nitey Snoozey Snooze-not needed

Ready for Borefest 2011 at 7.45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'd be surprised since it's live on Sky!

Ya, thought i may have misheard that on the radio earlier. Oh well, the pub it is then.:)

Hoping my training gets cancelled so I can watch this.

I really do love international matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Think this game will suit Sheamus Coleman down to the ground. Trap usually lets the wingers do all the attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

3-1 to Ireland for me

Can see few goals tonight.

Could be good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

2-1 win for Ireland. Can see Robbie Earnshaw and Church causing problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

0-0 at 7/1 is my bet. Hope i'm wrong and there are a few goals. But if not, i'll happily take my money instead

Stevecw wrote: »
    0-0 at 7/1 is my bet. Hope i'm wrong and there are a few goals. But if not, i'll happily take my money instead

I put everything I have on Ireland to win.

Team Lineups

Ireland: Shay Given, John O'Shea, Sean St Ledger, Richard Dunne, Ciaran Clark, Seamus Coleman, Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Damien Duff, Jonathan Walters, Kevin Doyle.

Wales: Wayne Hennessey, Neal Eardley, James Collins, Danny Collins, Sam Ricketts, David Vaughan, Andrew Crofts, Andy King, Simon Church, Robert Earnshaw, Hal Robson-Kanu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I expect this will be tough enough as it's Speed's first game as Welsh boss isn't it? I will predict Ireland to win a scrappy game by a goal.

• Advertisement

Darron 'invisible man' Gibson starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

any streams lads, in toronto, so hoping to watch it online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Darron 'invisible man' Gibson starting.
    At least its not Green ffs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

My mate just sent me this pic...not looking good for the attendence!!

It's far too early, a lot of grounds are like that at this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've backed the draw at 5/2.

• Advertisement

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It's far too early, a lot of grounds are like that at this time!

Twenty minutes. I thought there would be a bit more anyway/

any streams lads, in toronto, so hoping to watch it online

Here you go; clicky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Twenty minutes. I thought there would be a bit more anyway/

Don`t worry, if Pat Dolan is there he will fill it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

niallo24 wrote: »
    My mate just sent me this pic...not looking good for the attendence!!

What'll it be like tomorrow for the North vs Scotland.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

• Advertisement
Advertisement