Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Wales - Nations Cup - 08/02/11 - 7:45PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Liam O wrote: »
    I think Whelan has been very good for Ireland recently. When he broke through I was very against him but he's done a good job, needs a good attacking partner beside him but Trap seems to have told Gibson to hang back too and let the wingers do the attacking.
    That may be the case, I'm probably being a bit harsh on Whelan, having my mind made up on him and all that, which I'm not normally like. But I still feel that we could have a lot better midfield partnership if Gio wasn't so stubborn. There's some very good Irish midfielders breaking through at the moment, we need to find an opportunity to field them in a system that works. We've quite a few wingers coming out now, maybe a bit of tinkering with the formation can bring the most out of what we got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Good work from Doyler. Yard or two either side would seriously have worked the keeper. And livened this game up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Doyle did really well there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

another Ireland game with a lack of imagination and passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

If Doyle had pace.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If Doyle had pace.....:eek:
    if pigs could fly! :P

Clark and Coleman combining. Lovely to see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

should have got that on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Duff with a great ball across there. No midfield back ing up the play.

Well worked free kick and a nice effort from Clark. He's looked good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nailz wrote: »
    That may be the case, I'm probably being a bit harsh on Whelan, having my mind made up on him and all that, which I'm not normally like. But I still feel that we could have a lot better midfield partnership if Gio wasn't so stubborn. There's some very good Irish midfielders breaking through at the moment, we need to find an opportunity to field them in a system that works. We've quite a few wingers coming out now, maybe a bit of tinkering with the formation can bring the most out of what we got.
    I wouldn't mind trying Clark out as a CM beside McCarthy in the next group of friendlies. Clark has looked good there for Villa but the chances of Trap even considering it are slim to none I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

If Coleman keeps doing what hes doing and doesnt make any bad mistakes he cant be dropped for Macedonia game imo.

Coleman is a great bit of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'd peddle Walters and the appalling (yet again) central midfield at half-time.

If Coleman keeps doing what hes doing and doesnt make any bad mistakes he cant be dropped for Macedonia game imo.

Which inevitably means he will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Fahey and Long on 2nd half for me.

I would presume McGeady will come back into team, so doubt he will keep coleman in the team as much as i would like him to be in it unless he keeps either keane or doyle out of team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very poor performance. Wales are awful, but we've not put them under anywhere near enough pressure. No fluidity, no hustle, loads of silly individual errors. Shocking.

I would presume McGeady will come back into team, so doubt he will keep coleman in the team as much as i would like him to be in it unless he keeps either keane or doyle out of team.

McGeady? Forgot he even existed...

McGeady will be back on the right and Lawrence will be on the bench and Coleman will be nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

That half shows that without Keane, we struggle to get into scoring positions.

Same old story, badly lacking a playmaker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

how could any sane person consider playin mcgeady or lawerence ahead of coleman on their current form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People like to pretend that Keane does nothing, and it is all Doyle. Doyle is a great target, but without Keane we have nothing in the way of creativity, no-one moving intelligently off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

To me Gibson and Whelan seem too alike to work together. Both like to get a ball short and play an equally short pass. Neither will break forward to join the attack. That leaves little option but for our wingers to beat their man and get a cross in, or a ball straight into the forwards and hope that they can do something.

We really need someone else in midfield who can drive forward with the play. Who do we have on the bench?

Tbf Doyle is more of a midfield combatant playing up front than a striker imo, for all his hard work his positioning isn't great and Walters isn't the type of partner he needs. Best has yet to be really tried out beside Doyle and his recent form warrants giving him a chance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

how could any sane person consider playin mcgeady or lawerence ahead of coleman on their current form

Well they are on a break in Russia so it is hard to judge McGeadys current form, and he finished last season very well too. He will come back into right midfield imo and Coleman will play right back, depending on the opposition of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Is that the trophy behind them? I thought it was a cup full of hightlighters and magic markers.

MOG7 wrote: »
    Well they are on a break in Russia so it is hard to judge McGeadys current form, and he finished last season very well too. He will come back into right midfield imo and Coleman will play right back, depending on the opposition of course.

dont think trap would play coleman at RB without seeing him play there first.

McGeady has done pretty well for himself in Russia, Duff, even though he is a legend should be the one to make way imo
    To me Gibson and Whelan seem too alike to work together. Both like to get a ball short and play an equally short pass. Neither will break forward to join the attack. That leaves little option but for our wingers to beat their man and get a cross in, or a ball straight into the forwards and hope that they can do something.

We really need someone else in midfield who can drive forward with the play. Who do we have on the bench?
    It's Trap's system, you could have Xavi and iniesta in there and he'd still make them play as deep lying CMs.

MOG7 wrote: »

then shift JOS over to LB and play Clark in CB or midfield...

• Advertisement

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Is that the trophy behind them? I thought it was a cup full of hightlighters and magic markers.

poor effort. must do better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

PaddyBomb wrote: »

Its the ugliest trophy ive ever seen

CNC-trophy-upright-white-1-266x400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

It's Trap's system, you could have Xavi and iniesta in there and he'd still make them play as deep lying CMs.

They are too attack minded, they would be on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Unfortunately you're right. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

I'd peddle Walters and the appalling (yet again) central midfield at half-time.

Thats your own buisness..

Long is coming on, yay!

But for Doyle. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Anyone have the attendance. Looks to be pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

roryc wrote: »
    Anyone have the attendance. Looks to be pretty low.

About 15000 if there lucky, cant really blame people to go and watch that crap

Will be dead annoying if we don't try Fahey and/or Wilson, central midfield is the huge problem area and it's just getting more and more irritating the longer Trap blanks the problem.

AW Long!

should have done better with that finish. Much better stuff from Whelan

• Advertisement

Should have hit the target at least.

Great run from Duff. Should have done better Long.

Idiots.

these 2 boys have provided the most entertainment in this match :p

its gas when no security men were running after them...

Shocking tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Sean St. Ledger really is USELESS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Fans on the pitch... no surprise really

hahaub.png

gustafo wrote: »
    Sean St. Ledger really is USELESS

He wins a lot of headers though. He has scored two headers too...

Is there a reason why we're not wearing our green jersey?

• Advertisement
Advertisement