Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Wales - Nations Cup - 08/02/11 - 7:45PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Another victory for Trap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Fahey must start the next game in central midfield.

good game,wales where not good ,good start too nations cup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Mister men wrote: »
    Another victory for Trap. :)

What do you mean 'another'? Mostly draws and losses in the last twelve months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What do you mean 'another'? Mostly draws and losses in the last twelve months.

I think we've won more than we've lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

mars bar wrote: »
    I think we've won more than we've lost.

Dropped points in the ones that mattered though.

Wouldn't get carried away by beating such a weak Wales side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Did Duffer call it the Aviva cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good result. Wales weren't up to much. The positives to be taken out were good debuts from Coleman and Clark. I thought Walters improved in the second half after a poor first half. The goals were well taken too. Gives Trap a few more options going into the Macedonia game.
    Fahey must start the next game in central midfield.

I reckon Andrews will be back in alongside Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

God the attendance was phenomenally poor, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Good result. Wales weren't up to much. The positives to be taken out were good debuts from Coleman and Clark. I thought Walters improved in the second half after a poor first half. The goals were well taken too. Gives Trap a few more options going into the Macedonia game.

I reckon Andrews will be back in alongside Whelan.

Have a feeling it'll be that too, but please, please no. That's a 'mare situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

sdonn wrote: »
    God the attendance was phenomenally poor, wasn't it?

would have it been the cost of tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Did Duffer call it the Aviva cup?

Yep! Carling all over the wall behind him too!:D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Did he just say "Chris C**ters"? Lol, Freudian slip if ever I heard it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Trilla wrote: »
    oh dear, I'd be fooking delighted if we lost 1-0 here and played ten times better than we have.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

oh dear, I'd be fooking delighted if we lost 1-0 here and played ten times better than we have.

We lost a world cup playoff a while back and played 10 times better....I wasn't too delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    We lost a world cup playoff a while back and played 10 times better....I wasn't too delighted.

Ye World cup playoff and the Carling Nations cup are more or less the same. You know what I mean, Wales were terrible and I would have liked to seen us play an awful lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ye World cup playoff and the Carling Nations cup are more or less the same. You know what I mean, Wales were terrible and I would have liked to seen us play an awful lot better.

I see where your coming from , but it's either your glass is half empty or half full .

Shoite performance & win

Or

Shoite performance & loose .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tbqh I take any win Ireland get and I'd look on it as a positive. Trap will be Trap but overall he's doing alright with a limited bunch of players and that's not going to change as the majority of us fans want gratification through qualification asap. Ergo pretty much no emphasis on youth/development in favour of playing those who have shown solid/steady form in the past - no risks taken for the most part.

The funny thing is; if you manage Ireland in FM11 you end up picking the same players as Trap! :pac:

Poxy attendance. I wonder will FAI to an FAI Cup Final and drop the price of tickets to €15-20 for future Carling matches?

What was the official attendance? I heard 25k on the radio.

Something like €15 in for either end behind the goals would be fair I'd say. You'd probably fill them at that, I know I'd go.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Did Stokes get a run out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Anyone know what the estimated attendance for tomorrows game is gonna be? I couldn't see it even making 5000.

nope, wasnt in squad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Him or Best didn't make the final squad.

It's embarrassing. Even the fact that they're charging 20 quid for that match is beyond ridiculous. Should be 10 quid, no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Dont understand all the hate for Gibson. When players like Paul Green and Glenn Whelan who cant get a game for stoke are picked ahead of him its more of a worry. Would like to see more of Wilson. At least Gibson offers us goals. All Gibson haters are Man United fans who are used to watching him compete against Anderson, Fletcher, Scholes and Carrick. For Ireland he's competing against Green, Whelan, Andrews and Wilson. I think i would rather have Gibson starting ahead of Green who all he seems to do is fall over every time he goes near the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

nope, wasnt in squad

Ah,thought he made it.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Green, Whelan, Andrews and Wilson.

Thing about this is we have Wes Hoolahan, Andy Reid, Fahey and McCarthy who can play there...disappointing Gibson has only the above mentioned to compete with for a CM place

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    It's embarrassing. Even the fact that they're charging 20 quid for that match is beyond ridiculous. Should be 10 quid, no more.

25k @ €20 = 50k @ €10

Economics of it probably comes into it [even for the FAI] the costs associated with the 25k would be far less than the 50k.

Ah,thought he made it.

Maybe he came in for Best, he definitely wasn't in it at one point. Didnt get a run out which was disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

cson wrote: »
    25k @ €20 = 50k @ €10

Economics of it probably comes into it [even for the FAI] the costs associated with the 25k would be far less than the 50k.

But it would give the competition more credibility along with creating a better atmosphere, and people respecting the FAI more.

But it would give the competition more credibility along with creating a better atmosphere, and people respecting the FAI more.

I agree but atm money > than all those things for the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The guts of Ireland's starting Eleven took on a Wales team which was devoid of Gabbidon, Ramsey,Bellamy, Bale, and Collison. They were also devoid of any skill, panache, or attacking nous. In the frist half, Ireland played conservatively and got no reward. In the second half a more ambitious effort transpired, and Ireland stamped its superiority on the game.

If Ireland had not won this game comfortably, it would have been an indictment of those on the pitch. A depleated and indifferent Welsh team MUST be beaten. Thus, it was a relief to see the goals fly in.

My Ratings

S.Given 6 Little to do all night. One minor scare, but nothing serious.
    J.O'Shea 6 A comfortable night, not that he was willing to seek more then tha
    C.Clark 7 Seemed to enjoy his debut. Strong in the air, and willing to come insi
    R.Dunne 7 Another rock like performance. Dealt well with Earnshaw's pace.
    S.St Ledger 6 Also comfortable. He was well capable for the long ball.
    G.Whelan 6 Never likely to control midfield, but performed well against poor opponants
    S.Coleman 6 Another decent debut. Perhaps a little more ambition is required
    D.Gibson 6 Also unable to control a game. Beautiful strike for the goal
    D.Duff 7 The major outlet for chances. Well positioned for the goal.
    J.Walters 5 Improved immensely in the second half.
    K.Doyle 5 Quiet night against James Collins. Made one decent effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

cson wrote: »
    I agree but money > than all those things for the FAI.
    FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

FAI should show some fckin respect and tell us the attendance during the game. Are they to embarrassed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Anyone know why Doyler was taken off at half time? Think I heard one of the commentators that he was injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Jim wrote: »
    Anyone know why Doyler was taken off at half time? Think I heard one of the commentators that he was injured?

Nah it was pre-planned that he would play 45 mins max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

MOG7 wrote: »
    Him or Best didn't make the final squad.

Best was injured and pulled out on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

DH2K9 wrote: »
    FAI should show some fckin respect and tell us the attendance during the game. Are they to embarrassed?

In fairness they did tell the attendance in the first few games in the new Lansdowne but they were so made up it was farcical. They didnt count the gate, they counted the tickets handed out to clubs and companies etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The amount of players missing was disappointing.

However, I have to admit to being quite happy with the the idea of this tournament compared to some friendly against a Eastern European nobody. You can (usually) guarantee a committed performance from the four teams involved.

That being said, Wales were pretty poor. We have more strength in depth though obviously so the injuries hurt them more than us.

Gibson really could be a source of goals for us if we can justify playing him regularly, I don't know what to do with Coleman - the wings is probablyt where we are strongest with Duff, McGeady, Lawrence and Hunt. Right back makes more sense but I doubt Trap will go for someone so offensive in a back four. Clarke looks a handy utility man, Kilbane looks to be done so left back is an issue for the moment.

Delighted with how Long has stepped up this season - he was the MOTM in the Slovakia game and is on fire for his club. Life after Keane and all that.

Given is the biggest worry at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Absolutely delighted for Keith Fahey. He hasn't been on the best run of form for Brum, so that goal should do him the world of good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

noodler wrote: »
    The amount of players missing was disappointing.

However, I have to admit to being quite happy with the the idea of this tournament compared to some friendly against a Eastern European nobody. You can (usually) guarantee a committed performance from the four teams involved.

That being said, Wales were pretty poor. We have more strength in depth though obviously so the injuries hurt them more than us.

Gibson really could be a source of goals for us if we can justify playing him regularly, I don't know what to do with Coleman - the wings is probablyt where we are strongest with Duff, McGeady, Lawrence and Hunt. Right back makes more sense but I doubt Trap will go for someone so offensive in a back four. Clarke looks a handy utility man, Kilbane looks to be done so left back is an issue for the moment.

Delighted with how Long has stepped up this season - he was the MOTM in the Slovakia game and is on fire for his club. Life after Keane and all that.

Given is the biggest worry at the moment.
    Long was terrible when he came on tonight..Hes not good enough to break the Doyle/Keane partnership, and how Best is doing for Newcastle I think Best should be ahead of him, Best is a big lad aswell so he can do what Doyle does abit aswell, Long cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

If that's the attendance tonight, then the RDS would be more suitable for tomorrow's game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Long was terrible when he came on tonight..Hes not good enough to break the Doyle/Keane partnership, and how Best is doing for Newcastle I think Best should be ahead of him, Best is a big lad aswell so he can do what Doyle does abit aswell, Long cant.

Thought he was very bright when he came on.

Just named young player of year. Great attitude to game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Why were Ireland wearing white btw? Was it just to plug a new jersey or is this something to do with "tournament rules" etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Long was poor enough when he came on but I'm happy enough with the options he gives us, he's very direct...

Duff was deadly last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Pauleta wrote: »
    In fairness they did tell the attendance in the first few games in the new Lansdowne but they were so made up it was farcical. They didnt count the gate, they counted the tickets handed out to clubs and companies etc

Why are you saying 'in fairness'? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i doubt they would have gotten many more people going last night even if it was a tener. they only got 20K cause of block bookers having tickets and alot of them didnt even turn up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

adamski8 wrote: »
    i doubt they would have gotten many more people going last night even if it was a tener. they only got 20K cause of block bookers having tickets and alot of them didnt even turn up

Probably wouldn't have went myself only for I'm a block booker and still pissed off that my ticket cost me €40 rather than the €35 that it cost everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Wouldn't have gone even if it was free - don't think the price of the ticket is the problem here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement