Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Labour

Options
  • 07-02-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Does anyone know if their is an active Labour party in UCD? I wouldn't mind getting involved if there is one:).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

kev9100 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Does anyone know if their is an active Labour party in UCD? I wouldn't mind getting involved if there is one:).

There definitely is; the chairperson in Aisling Molloy, but I have no contact details for her. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

With respect, I hate the political parties in UCD. So full of ideals and youthism which is often skewed and misrepresentative. Fair play for getting involved though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mister Smithers

Hey guys

The e-mail address is ucd@votelabour.ie. Alternatively, you can turn up to one of their events (there should be a few on soon), or they often hang out by the wall outside arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

The e-mail address is ucd@votelabour.ie. Alternatively, you can turn up to one of their events (there should be a few on soon), or they often hang out by the wall outside arts.

Cheers. Anyone know if there are any events coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Cheers. Anyone know if there are any events coming up?

There's a new members night I think coming up but if you get on to Aisling using the above email she'll tell you when. Did you miss us on refreshers day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

I noted the Fianna Fail stand was empty this year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

spagboll wrote: »
    I noted the Fianna Fail stand was empty this year

The KBC got a few hundred onto their books this year.

Fair play for getting involved Kev. :)

The KBC got a few hundred onto their books this year.

Fair play for getting involved Kev. :)

Yeah but they weren't there on Refreshers' Day (or at least they remained quite hidden). The only reason they got so many members is because of their hot whiskey night and free Michael Collins DVDs for new members. Besides KBC do not have that many active members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Also

Any idea about YFG? Signed up two weeks ago and there's apparently meetings twice a week but haven't heard from them since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

*flinches*

whats KBC?

• Advertisement

Also wrote: »
    Any idea about YFG? Signed up two weeks ago and there's apparently meetings twice a week but haven't heard from them since!

This is a UCD Labour thread. Not a thread for the Blueshirts.

Blueshirts must die, Die, DIE!! I tells you.

... or so I'm told.

spagboll wrote: »
    *flinches*

whats KBC?

It's the Kentucky Boiled Chicken Society, otherwise known as UCD Ógra Fianna Fáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

There's a new members night I think coming up but if you get on to Aisling using the above email she'll tell you when. Did you miss us on refreshers day?

No I signed up but nobody has been in touch. Any idea when that new members thing might be?

No I signed up but nobody has been in touch. Any idea when that new members thing might be?

Not 100% sure on the times but it could be another Mojito night/ get together. Again just sent Aisling an email via that address above and ask her about it.

Also, if you're interested in helping out with canvassing/ Leaflet drops for Labour's GE campaign inquire about it in the email too (it would be a good way to meet others in LY).

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

There is definitely a labour youth soc out in UCD. Joined it during Fresher's week. Got a cool Captain Morgan key ring torch and a bottle opener ... SWIIIIIIIIIIIISH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lad honestly KBC is huge this year, and was huge last year.

Its the only really active one on campus. They're just kind of hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

errlloyd wrote: »

I'm convinced it has something to do with the cheap trips to Amsterdam!!

But do you honestly think that most of its members have any interest in politics at all? The only thing closest to 'politics' that they get involved in is trying to catapult their members into Sabbatical positions, that's the primary 'activitiy' that they get involved in. The activities that UCD Labour and YFG UCD got involved in this year weren't as far removed from proper politics. The main reason why so many people joined KBC was because of the perks they had after joining;
    • Free hot whiskey night,
    • Cheap trip to Amsterdam (as another poster has mentioned),
    • Free Michael Collins DVD.
    The only 'perk' that UCD Labour had was a free Mojito night, but that's because they didn't have the money. KBC probably get a huge grant from the main FF party who obviously after years in government and receiving lot and lot of "donations" would have far greater funds than the Labour Party has at present. As I've said before, KBC & Ógra FF in general are just rich boy "how's your father" societies comparable in a way to the Skull & Bones society in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

If I'm not mistaken the last three SU presidents have been FF;and there's a former SU president up for election in Louth (James Carrol?) this year.

I lol'd when I saw the KBC stand being used as a prop for Fine Gael leaflets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

[*]Free Michael Collins DVD.

:confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Cheap trip to Amsterdam (as another poster has mentioned),
    • Free Michael Collins DVD.

Fianna Fail are claiming Michael Collins as one of them now :eek:. Doubt the Blueshirts will like that one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I joined but never went to anything. Feel bad for not being active :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DocToBe

I never saw any Michael Collins DVD's, I definitely didn't get one anyway!

DocToBe wrote: »
    I never saw any Michael Collins DVD's, I definitely didn't get one anyway!
    I definitely saw them giving out free Michael Collins DVDs some time during Freshers' Week to people to join up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone got an email address or phone number for UCD Labour ? Asap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Anyone got an email address or phone number for UCD Labour ? Asap

Im racking my brains to think what could possibly involve an ASAP emergency for contacting Labour Youth.

Advertisement