Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice

• 07-02-2011 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

What subject should I choose for 5 year business or economics? What is involved in both, what requires more work etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What subject should I choose for 5 year business or economics? What is involved in both, what requires more work etc.?
    I'm in 5th year and do both Economics and Business. (Economics at home). In my opinion if your looking for the A go for Economics. Much smaller course, more repetitive and a lot is common sense. I'm very good at Business so I get A1's in every class test but I am telling you do NOT PICK IT!! The course is Massive and the marking schemes will screw you over. If the Economics teacher is in anyway good opt for Economics.. Started it at home after christmas and have 1/4 of the course done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

It all depends on what you're good at really.

For Business you need to be a very rational thinker. You need to understand the exact questions, the keywords mentioned, and how to make your answers relevant to the questions.

For Economics, it's just a case of learning notes off, and throwing them back on to the page.

The Business course is very long, and it's fairly unpredictable on what can come up. The marking scheme is the strictest in the leaving cert, and you'll be penalised throughout the paper for any mistakes you make.

Business pretty much covers areas like insurance, marketing, people involved in a business, types of businesses, taxes, etc..

Economics is a fairly short course, but you need a teacher with a solid understanding of it to explain it to you. There are two sides to the course: Micro and Macro, both differing from each other.

Some parts of it are incredibly boring and long, but all you need to do is learn them off by heart. Most of Economics is covered in diagrams and explanations (all of which can appear to be exactly the same...) which you just learn off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Do economics without a doubt. It's shorter, more concise and the exam is an absolute gift with lots of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Personally, I found economics more difficult and more boring. Although Business seems long, it's quite nice.
    There are seven topics, and what I do for revision is a topic per week. It makes the course seem a lot shorter and you don't really have to think that much, just remember key points and a lot of the explanation and example is easy to write since it's common knowledge.
    It's up to you, really, and it depends on your teachers.
    Business really is just learning it off, all you have to do to study is do some questions in your book that your teacher didn't give you for homework.

I think it's easy and it's my easy high grade in the leaving, (apart from German and Irish which I'm fluent in :p) ask other people in your school who've worked with the teachers in 5th and 6th year.

Advertisement