Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit Recipes?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

A friend gave me two rabbits to cook but i haven't a clue what to do with it or what it even tastes like! Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Stew or casserole - deffo.
    Split each into six pieces - fore legs, hind legs & breast. Dust in seasoned flour & brown very quickly in butter on a high heat. You just want the joints coloured but not cooked. Set to one side. Then deglaze the pan with some cider or stock (chicken or veg - I prefer the former).

In a pot or casserole dish add some oil & sweat your veg of choice for a few minutes. I'd go for something like carrot, turnip, onion & maybe some celery with a few bay leaves & some thyme thrown in. Then add the cider/stock from the pan, place the rabbit joints on top of the veg & top up with your liquid of choice until almost covered.

Place on a low simmer on the hob or on a medium heat (130C) the oven & cook gently for 90 to 120 mins. You could pop in some spuds for the last 45 mins for them to soak up the juices.

Enjoy. I'm jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

As HBs recipe above - leave out the turnip and add some bacon. Cook the stew, fish out the rabbit, cool and debone and return to the sauce. Cool the sauce. Line individual pie dishes with shortcrust pastry, fill with rabbit sauce, top with puff pastry, eggwash and bake at 180c for 45 minutes. These freeze really well (cooked). Reheat from frozen at 140c for an hour by returning the pie to the pie case. I made a dozen pies for the freezer yesterday. 7 rabbit and 5 venison.

I knew I had missed something. Bacon. Nice idea on the pies. Lucky you to have the time to do this. Mrs Billy & the kids are hungry feckers who don't give me time for the finishing touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I knew I had missed something. Bacon. Nice idea on the pies. Lucky you to have the time to do this. Mrs Billy & the kids are hungry feckers who don't give me time for the finishing touches.

I've been in Minder's house at the weekend. The kitchen is in the centre of the house, and turns into an internal cave of mass production at weekends, leaking smells of spice and sauce and richness, the heat of an oven and the steam of various pots bubbling on the stove, leeching into the rest of the house. Like most caves, however, you'd want to be a bit wary of sticking your head in there uninvited... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

....I'm only a Bear with a sore head if there was too much Leffe the night before...

• Advertisement

Is this you Minder?

One gun for getting the wabbits, the other for protecting the kitchen. :)

147116.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've done this recipe a few times and it's amazing
    Rabbit in Mustard or Lapin a la Maille

During the 18th century, Monsieur Maille created truly royal mustards, many of which are still in use today. He was the official vinegar distiller to the king, and it is said that Mme de Pompadour would commission his aniseed vinegar by the barrel. He was famous throughout the continent for his flavored vinegars, which he then made into equally famous mustards.

Many grocers today carry the Maille label of mustard. It comes in a squat jar with a black label. The mustard itself is wonderfully coarse, full of golden, crushed seeds bathed in a heady vinegar base. It is precisely the type of mustard that makes this dish so special. Its tartness and rough texture give the sauce depth and body, making it robust enough to blend successfully with the whole wheat pasta, yet the creamy base is mellow enough to bring out the sweet, subtle flavor of the rabbit. If you cannot find Maille mustard, then substitute with a coarse ground Dijon.

Ingredients

1 rabbit, 2-1/2 to 3 pounds
    salt
    fresh cracked pepper
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    3/4 pound whole wheat spaghetti
    1 cup creme fraiche or whipping cream
    10 to 14 fresh sage leaves
    2 tablespoons Maille or coarse ground Dijon mustard
    Preparation

If the rabbit is whole, cut it into the standard six pieces: 4 legs and 2 tenderloin pieces. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.

Cut the sage leaves into very thin julienne; kitchen shears are ideal for this, or use a very sharp knife. Set the sliced sage aside.

In a large skillet or flameproof casserole, heat 1 tablespoon butter and the canola oil over medium-high heat until hot. Brown the rabbit pieces on both sides. This should take about 3 minutes per side.

While the rabbit cooks, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving some of the pasta water. Using the same pot, heat 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and toss to coat. Cover and remove from the heat while you continue with the rabbit.

When the rabbit has browned, add the white wine and chicken broth to the pan, scraping up any browned bits, then cover and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Stir in the creme fraiche, mustard and sliced sage leaves. Heat on medium until the sauce coats the back of a spoon and all flavors are blended. Taste to correct the seasonings, adding salt and pepper if desired.

To serve, place the pasta on a serving platter. Arrange the rabbit pieces on top and pour the sauce over the rabbit and pasta. Garnish with fresh sage leaves, if desired.

Read more: Recipe: Rabbit in Mustard or Lapin a la Maille http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/recipes/lapin.html#ixzz1DNXlXtzm

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

^^this is how I usually cook rabbit. Otherwise civet-style with a red wine sauce, similar to the cider recipe above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just as Hill Billy's but I'd, also, add bacon and use a brown beer with some mustard for the liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Thanks everyone for the recipies! I THINK I may have been given two rabbits in the package and there are only two of us to eat, so I may get to try both the Casserole and the Lapin a la Maille, two very different dishes I would imagine :)

Can anyone give me an idea what rabbit tastes similar to meat wise?

On an aside, we had the most BEAUTIFUL fillet steak last night, bought from my local butcher, full of juicy flavour and melt in the mouth. An expensive treat but worth it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

to coin an oft used phrase, 'tastes just like chicken' and it does, only slightly 'gamier' or 'fruitier'. Actually that mustard recipe works really well with chicken. Just a point about rabbit, it is an extremely lean meat and when it overcooks, it's really horrible. Just take it out 5 minutes before the end and by the time you plate up and serve it'll be just right

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rabbit tastes a bit like goat, although if you have never eaten goat that might not be much use.

Advertisement