Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIMP - text layers..

Options
  • 07-02-2011 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, trying to make the move from my beloved Paint Shop Pro to GIMP.. I can do the basics but one thing that I dont get is the text...

What I used to do was create one layer and call it text and then put all the basic text on it... But GIMP seems to want a separate layer for every single text item.. Is there anyway around this?

I've looked the online manual and it just says.. "In GIMP 2.0 and 2.2, each text item goes in a separate Text layer, and you can come back later to the layer and edit the text in it."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I would group layers to achieve the same effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

tba wrote: »
    I would group layers to achieve the same effect.

But it's just not the same :( ... I have to make the move to GIMP so I guess I'll just have to suffer it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Well there was a script I downloaded (cant remember where I got it) to give layer groups the dame functionality as individual layers, that might be worth looking into to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

tba wrote: »
    Well there was a script I downloaded (cant remember where I got it) to give layer groups the dame functionality as individual layers, that might be worth looking into to.

I've actually found out what was causing trouble for Paint Shop Pro... f**ken Aero mode.. caused Paint Shop Pro 9 to bring up an error at the start every time... so that eliminates the urgency to get in to GIMP...

But I do want to make the change eventually and this is a big hurdle.. I use my graphic tool to draw mockups of website before coding them.. so I would have text for menus, headers, lorum ipsum text for content... I'll try it but I can see myself having more layers for text alone than I would normally have for the whole image..

Advertisement