Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice For Travelling With 23 Month Old.

Options
  • 07-02-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

My daughter and I will be going to Florida at the end of March, it'll be her first time on a plane and it'll be just me travelling with her. Does anyone have any hint and tips for me please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Pick up a couple of small new toys/books and produce them during the flight. They'll keep her attention for a while and keep her entertained.
    If you have access to a portable dvd player this can also help on the flight.
    Bring plenty of snacks for her and a change of clothes in case of accidents.

THis is just a quicky but I'll get back when I think of more.

btw, we've have our 22 month old on several flights at this stage and all the above helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

valium sandwiches for mommy. dvd player for baby. Big old apology sign for the rest of the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

valium sandwiches for mommy. dvd player for baby. Big old apology sign for the rest of the passengers.

Have to admit that the valium sandwich is very tempting!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Get one of those magnet drawing boards for her,my little girl gets hours of fun out of hers and a box of crayons and a colouring book are good ideas too.
    Don't forget your favourite story books and bottle of calpol;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep one of those magnadoodles things (picked one up in Smyths before Christmas for €6), my 25 month old loves it! Also, crayons/colour pencils and colour books.

I find calpol doesn't help mine sleep and nurofen does the job... a bottle or something to suck while taking off for ears popping...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

The last time we flew with baby rylie the plane was boiling before we took off and then freezing cold- just bear that in mind.

Can you pick up a new toy- we got him the vtech laptop and didn't give it to him until we'd taken off and he loved it, distracted him for ages! Other advice we've been given is to bring loads of snacks, a portable dvd player if you have one, colouring book and crayons, dodie/bottle for takeoff and landing, oh and a valium sandwich is a great idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

HI

i flew shannon to new york and from newyork to orlando, in total 24 hours travelling. My guy was 22 months and we purchased a seat for him, thank god we did, it would have been a total nightmare otherwise. He slept and watched videos mostly (they have tvs on the back of seat and you can assess loads of movies and cartoons for yourself and the kids) however landings and take offs were a nightmare thankfully they are only 30mins each. At the airport we had a 4 hour break so had food and pushed his buggy around looking at the shops.

When you arrive at your destination your gonna be tired and cranky, the little one will get more sleep than you so will be fairly lively.

Have a good holiday, you dont need to bring toys with you on the plane as they only create more hassle and baggage.

Make sure you have a seat for your toddler as well even if it costs an extra 600, it will be the best money you have ever spent. (my lads seat cost 300€ each way continental airlines)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'm definitely buying her a seat of her own, i played with the idea of having her on my lap but for her comfort and for mine i decided to fork out the extra money.
    Thanks for all the tips guys, will be buying/borrowing a portable dvd this week and getting the dvd selection together also a magna-doodle is on the shopping list!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭etar

Get a portable DVD player with USB port and put the DVDs on a memory stick. It will cut down on luggage

Advertisement