Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regs for bathroom fan

• 07-02-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi lads can somebody clear up this matter for me.
    Do all bathrooms have to have an extractor fan with its own isolating switch, or is it just bathrooms with no window.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bountyhunter87

you could wire it of the light, then it can be isolated by swithing of the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 The Cookie Monster

All bathrooms in new houses/apts must have fans and must be isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 The Cookie Monster

you could wire it of the light, then it can be isolated by swithing of the light.

If its your own home, this would be best and cheapest option, you can get fan with time delay, so when you switch off light, the fan will still operate for selected period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055803392
    covered here
    needs its own isolator that switches off;
    feed
    switched feed
    neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bountyhunter87

If its your own home, this would be best and cheapest option, you can get fan with time delay, so when you switch off light, the fan will still operate for selected period of time.

best to get a non timed one because youd need a permanent live for the time delay one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it's in the rules

-a fan shall have an isolating switch in it's vicinity which switches all phase/line conductors

-if a fan and light are switched together the isolating switch shall be downstream

-if the the fan has delay off ,the isolating switch shall switch all live conductors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

I will have to put an isolator on it as its a rewire of an old cottage, wasnt sure if that reg was still in place as I heard a while back it wasnt, e-mailed reci but never got any response so just thought id ask here.

Thanks for your help much appreciated

the rules don't seem to say you have to use DP isolation for a standard fan

anything in the zones except selv is rcd protected

lights in zones are separate rcd/rcbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

question related to this thread:o
    a friend has asked me for a standard fan with the intention of wiring it trough a switch, at present there is a 2 gang switch for the bathroom/ landing lights and he wants to change it for a 3 gang and use the live at the switch to switch the fan on/off and pick up a neutral locally from the ceiling rose in the bathroom. is this acceptable and does this type of switching conform to isolation. it all seems doable to me but doesnt seem to conform to my interpritation of the regs posted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Your friend will need a swich wire from the 3rd switch to the fan which I don't think he has in place.
    The neutral needs to be able to be isolated also and the setup you describe doesn't have this either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

cast_iron wrote: »
    Your friend will need a swich wire from the 3rd switch to the fan which I don't think he has in place.
    The neutral needs to be able to be isolated also and the setup you describe doesn't have this either.

yeah ive given him a few meters of 1.5 pvc/pvc that he plans to run from the switch up to the fan from l1 on the switch. and hes getting his live feed via a strapper from the com on the bathroom rocker.he has a t&e coming from the board to power a shaver light, not in use and ive told him to use that and loop it down to a fan isolating switch beside the bathroom light switch. just to clarify, does the isolating switch have to be double pole.

cast_iron wrote: »

the rules don't seem to mention isolating the neutral for standard fans

although i always do

it may be allowable to use a standard switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

May as well put the proper fan isolating switch in i would say. I usually run up the switched feed and permanent feed + neutral through the fan isolator even if its a non timed fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

M cebee wrote: »
    the rules don't seem to mention isolating the neutral for standard fans

although i always do

it may be allowable to use a standard switch
    Interesting. Begs the question as to why isolation switches are used at all!

Advertisement