Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! Upgrading laptop.Need advice

Options
  • 07-02-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I have a compaq presario C300.

Have had the laptop for four years. currently running off XP. Over the last few months its been saying the motherboard is about to go, save all your files etc etc...

Im keeping the laptop as it is very good, loud speakers, fast etc...

What i need help with is:

I want to put windows 7 processor on the laptop
    Also want to put a bigger hard-drive in it along with a faster RAM.

Basically i want to have a nice spec on the laptop. I will buy the parts off ebay but i need your help in telling me what parts to look for. I will get local computer shop then to install the bits and pieces.

Thanks, help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

Okay, Your laptop is a Compaq C300 Presario.... There's a c300EA and
    c300EU version, which one is yours.. Prob EA as it mentions UK version
    in the text in this

Now by "Windows 7 processor" you mean Windows 7 'capable' processor/CPU
    as Windows 7 is the operating system or OS of which you want your laptop
    to run on.

Laptops are much harder to crack open in terms of removing and adding in new hardware, especially when it comes to things like CPU's and motherboards. I'm afraid that in order to have a PC to the quality that you want it, which would be a new intel i3/i5 etc CPU you need a new motherboard that will fit into that laptop perfectly in terms of the size, cooling and the right power management, which might require modification of it's casing and other internals, costing big bucks. To be honest, your better off getting a completely new laptop.

I'm not sure about laptop CPU sockets but I'm pretty sure that the new processors run on a newer faster socket to your CPU's socket. I can tell you that RAM and Hard Drive can be very possible though... Your RAM is

1024 MB DDR2 533 MHz (2 x 512 MB) I think...
    And your hard drive... 80 GB 5400 rpm

From here mate google is your friend. I'll post if I find any compatible components for your laptop. Good luck with the laptop!

Advertisement