Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night time paddling

• 07-02-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm looking for a headtorch select for night time paddling.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭QuinnC88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, that's helpful alright.

What kind of boating do you plan on doing?
    If it's sea kayaking, there are dedicated ones that fit onto elevated mounts on the boat that you can buy that are meant to be pretty good.
    If it's playboating, I'd recommend just getting a couple of snaplights and tying them onto the BA. You can usually figure out what's going on without the use of light by feeling what the boat's doing, and a head torch wouldn't be very effective anyway, as the water'd move the light pretty easily off balance, pointing it somewhere useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Just looking for one for some flatwater training so really only need to be able to see the stopwatch on the deck of my boat.
    Was thinking the petzl tikka but was considering something stronger for the odd time I might use it.... whether it's an endurance race or just trying to spot a landing site from a bit further out in a sea kayak.

Generally I wouldn't be using one in a seakayak, just feel the water and allow your night vision to kick in.

No point in one for playboating.... you'll just looking like one of those spinning tops that lights up.

Must say I'm a little disappointed that there weren't more people telling me the dangers of night paddling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

multisport wrote: »
    Must say I'm a little disappointed that there weren't more people telling me the dangers of night paddling.

Night paddling is dangerous... ?

How's that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Just looking for one for some flatwater training so really only need to be able to see the stopwatch on the deck of my boat.
    Was thinking the petzl tikka but was considering something stronger for the odd time I might use it.... whether it's an endurance race or just trying to spot a landing site from a bit further out in a sea kayak.

Generally I wouldn't be using one in a seakayak, just feel the water and allow your night vision to kick in.

No point in one for playboating.... you'll just looking like one of those spinning tops that lights up.

Wow, I must say I'm really trying to hold back from telling you to go fcuk yourself buddy.

You come and ask for advice, you get some, and then you say you're actually disappointed nobody was advising you against what you're looking to go and do?

This board has no affiliation to the ICU, it's not a club, there's no duty of care owed to you or any user by any user here. Take the knowledge and do what the fcuk you want with it.
    Would you like if people advised you against going paddling too? Because it's a risk sport, there are inherent dangers within once you put your boat on the water, but nobody tells you this because it's assumed you know the bloody dangers.
    There's nothing wrong with night boating, but there are inherent dangers. It's an incredibly rewarding experience, and I like doing it.
    If you want to be babysat, don't go on the fking water apart from going on an ICU course, where they'll tell you all the dangers every time you sit in a boat. They have to.

If you want to take some initiative and do your own thing, fine, but don't fking give out to people online for not goddamn babysitting you, it's bloody insulting.

For the record, the point in wearing a light when night boating, especially rodeo boating, is for others to rescue when you go tits up and can't otherwise be seen swimming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Calm thoughts. :-)

If your paddling at night you know the dangers or you shouldn't be there. To be honest it is something I dont do that regular (a few times a year) but I paddle plenty in dusk conditions. I would suggest a waterproof light. Like a guardian or lazerstik, I don't have any shares in either but they are waterproof and have about a 30hr life.

Chemsticks are grand but don't hold their brightness as well and aren't reusable.

Head torches are great for night nav or expidition paddling but make sure you have a back up in case it goes for a swim.

As a safety concern, don't have too many snag hazards on your person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Night time paddling is more dangerous than day time as it is dark and if you capsize people might not see you so they would not be able to rescue you.

Dude, if you can't figure that out, then maybe give up paddling. It can be a dangerous sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If it's for flat water training. No need for a torch.

If you want to see your stopwatch get a stop watch that lights up.

Advertisement