Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'delete please'

Options
  • 07-02-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Okay,me and a friend arrived in Galway Sunday night all ready to watch the Superbowl. We both travelled from Mayo(He has accommodation in the City). My mate was at Eyre Square Hotel a week previous and the bar man told him to come to their SUPERBOWL PARTY because they were going to provide FREE FOOD. So at the thought of this i decided to travel to Galway, who wouldn't? Superbowl, free food, Galway?.... Arrived in at Eyre Square Hotel, i don't drink alchohol so i ordered a Mi Wadi, charged at 1EURO, which is ridiculous!. Furthermore, the hospitality was terrible. We sat down at approx 10:10 and when food NEVER arrived i decided to just ask. I approached the bar, and said is the kitchen open, no was the reply i then asked, was there not free food supposed to be provided? the answer i received....'Not that i know of no' So then i told the bar man,(shortish with glasses) that i heard their was food provided, he said maybe later i said ok. I then proceeded to walk back to my seat when i was promptly ushered back toward the barman and this is what i was told 'You ARE NOT EXPECTING TO WAIT THEIR ALL NIGHT WITH TWO MI WADIS' i just said sound. Waited for approx 20 mins, Superbowl was about to start and i still did not finish my Mi Wadi when the same barman approached me and my friend just a few seconds after the American National Anthem and told us to buy something or get out, we decided to buy something but when we approached the bar he challenged us by saying where we are from and that we looked at him like he had two heads, all this being while we NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG All we did was ask was their free food, we were then told to GET OUT AND WE ARE NOT WELCOME. So we did. Basically, ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!, POOR HOSPITALITY,COMMUNICATION AND BASICALLY A TERRIBLE ATTITUDE FROM THE BARMAN Never seen the likes of this hotel, disgusts me. Has anyone had similar events occur with this hotel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ow my freakin eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

haha thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

By the time I got to the end of your post I had lost all sympathy but yes their attitude was poor, especially after you had travelled all that way for free food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

ebenezer is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What's with the funky writing. Your first mistake was going there for it. Free food wouldn't usually be enough to sway me on a bar. Garveys across the road show the Superbowl most years. I think last year they did a special deal on Pizza for it too. I think The Dail bar did some special for it too. I wouldn't have stayed there..vote with your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

they were dead right. you went to a pub to watch a match on a channel which sky charge a fortune for and you were expecting them to provide you with food and drink for FREE

I wouldn't have went there if they did not say to my friend that they were providing free food. So your point is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You're a contender for this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454434

It'd have been cheaper to buy some frozen wedges & cocktail sausages in Tesco and deep fried them at home rather than driving down from Mayo to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

996tt wrote: »
    they were dead right. you went to a pub to watch a match on a channel which sky charge a fortune for and you were expecting them to provide you with food and drink for FREE

Get real !!! FFS you can walk into a pub anytime and watch anything thats on TV. THey're not called public bars for nothing .It is not a private residence. You do not have to buy a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Em, i think the bigger issue here, same as a recent thread about Tescos is the insane attitude of people in the 'service' industry. with all the govt investment in education re: catering/ pub/ retail, this is the outcome??

as for buying a drink, again this type of short-sightedness is exactly one of the probs. a business must build a relationship with clients - even if they never see them again. why/ word of mouth.

by being nice, at the very least polite, and ideally accommodating this thread would be in praise of eyre sq hotel, instead it's the opposite.

and it's clear the poster was offended enough to bother writing his post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

996tt wrote: »

heh, ya. He was expecting to drink Mi Wadi's all night - free, as he expressed surprise/disgust at being charged for it - and chow down on free food to watch, as you say, a premium satellite channel that yes costs a fortune for pubs.

I'm getting the cheapskate vibes big time, I can only imagine it was all the more palpable and obvious to the barman at the time.

When pubs offer free food - it's for their patrons, not for the great unwashed to descend on their establishment like locusts and fleece them for all the nuggets & cocktail sausages they're worth.

Better luck next time, boyo.

Get real !!! FFS you can walk into a pub anytime and watch anything thats on TV. THey're not called public bars for nothing .It is not a private residence. You do not have to buy a drink.

that makes so little sense i dont know where to begin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Shane.C wrote: »
    uhh,'boyo' i was ready to purchase at the counter when i was told i was not welcome

No, you decided to buy something after being asked to do so after requesting free food despite only having bought a mi wadi.

So, just to clarify:
    • Went to a bar to watch the superbowl.
    • Purchased a Mi Wadi in order to do so.
    • On top of expecting to watch the superbowl all night whilst buying nothing, you also expected to avail of free food, yet complained about the E1 it cost for the Mi Wadi.
    • So you basically expected to watch the game, eat food, and drink for E1 and seemed outraged when this was pointed out to you as completely unreasonable by the barman.
    • You only actually attempted to 'buy something' when this incredible stinginess was pointed out by the barman, and rightfully so.
    All we did was ask was their free food

:rolleyes:

Sound like a total scrounger, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bossman07

are you sure your not from Cavan:)

you are winding us all up i reckon with this thread or a total scrooge the cheek of it asking if they had free food. Whilst giving out about spending a €1

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

I know of the barman You are talking about, he is the biggest wanker I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.
    Funnily enough I'm pretty sure he is actually the Bar Manager, I saw him embarrass a customer in front of his girlfriend the other staff and me and my mates over something trivial.
    He has no business working in the Services industry in my opinion, no wonder that place is always empty (and the rest of the places in that chain - barring functions).
    P.S. Sky in commercial premises isn't that expensive (and I do know what it costs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Went to a bar to watch the superbowl, correct just like most of Galway.

Most people buy a drink or two. Could be coke, doesn't necessarily have to be alcohol. Most people don't walk into a bar expecting free refreshments and a comfortable place to watch premium TV and act indignant when called on it.
    Purchased a Mi Wadi because i was thirsty, didnt know you could read minds, mystic Meg are you?

Sorry, so now you're actually saying that had you not been thirsty you would not have even gotten a mi wadi at all, so in essence expected to sit down and avail of food without spending a cent. You're just making yourself sound worse to be honest.
    Mi Wadi is actually free in quite alot of bar/restaurants that i have been too, simply because i outline the price of the Mi Wadi doesnt mean im unintitled to watch the superbowl.

Free with meals or drinks, sometimes yes. You can't exactly go into many bars and ask for just a Mi Wadi, FOC, and sit there to drink it.

Actually, seeing as the Bar pays for the premium TV, should they feel someone who begrudingly spends a euro on Mi Wadi whilst utilizing their facilities is unentitled to be there, I wouldn't disagree. That you actually asked about free food I would imagine is what really irked them more so then the Mi Wadi. They're not a homeless shelter.
    What i expected was to enjoy the game, purchase Mi Wadi WITHOUT being thrown out and it their was no free food then that was fine by me

Hang on. First, you're travelling the whole way down from Mayo on the strength of the free food, next you're apparently indifferent to the free food? Which is it?
    as i was about to walk away and watch the game. MY first question to the barman however was is the kitchen open, my mate purchased an american sandwich their not so long ago and i was gona try it out, obviously not.

At past ten on a Sunday night? Not many pubs serving food at that time...
    Stinginess? i walk into a bar, i purchase a refreshment, i sit down to watch the game, if their was no free food,no big deal. Barman however, thought otherwise. Whatever happened to the nice people?

You walked into a business, expecting a free drink as evident by your disgust at the cost of Mi Wadi, and to be able to watch premium TV for several hours without paying anything, as well as eat their food which even the most challenged simpleton understands are for 'paying customers'. So originally you were hoping to spend about 50c (I can only assume given your reaction to paying 1E, possibly you expected the whole night including food and refreshments to be completely without cost to yourself) watch the game for a few hours, eat some food, and are actually shocked that that didn't work out for you? Seriously. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Agreed. Mi Wadi isn't cost free to pubs. Sky Sports costs a fortune. Staff cost a fortune. Opening the place until that hour on a Sunday costs a fortune.

You travelled a long distance to a pub and expected to be fed and watered all night for free? Some quote from a barman isn't a binding contract. The place owed you nothing. Cop on.

Agreed. Mi Wadi isn't cost free to pubs. Sky Sports costs a fortune. Staff cost a fortune. Opening the place until that hour on a Sunday costs a fortune.

You travelled a long distance to a pub and expected to be fed and watered all night for free? Some quote from a barman isn't a binding contract. The place owed you nothing. Cop on.

Fair enough statement, however, did it need to have involved being thrown out of the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

5 people in the place and you're asking for free food.

You're lucky he didn't bar you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Maybe you didnt stand up for the National Anthem? We dont like that kind of irreverence down in the Big City you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Did your mate that was with you buy a drink that night?
    Was this the same friend who was in the bar the week before,if not maybe whoever told you about the free food was winding you up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

It's sounds like the barman was a bit twattish, but to be fair you could have splashed out and at least bought a coke or something, rather than sitting there expecting free food and free entertainment for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

superbowl was shown free on bbc 1 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

skelliser wrote: »
    superbowl was shown free on bbc 1 btw

And if the OP flicked around a bit during the breaks Im sure Jamie Oliver was on some other channel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I think i know the barman you are talking about, i never give out about barmen but that guy is the biggest wanker of a barman in all of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ArtSmart wrote: »
    by being nice, at the very least polite, and ideally accommodating this thread would be in praise of eyre sq hotel, instead it's the opposite.

There would be no thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I drive into town sometimes on a saturday night with my friends and normally get miwadi as I don't wanted to be wide awake / scraping the sugar off my teeth when I get home and when I was ever charged for the 'priviledge' I would just change my mind and leave it behind me on the counter.

The fecking bottle costs <2 quid and being the designated driver I would have expected pubs to promote responcible drivers instead of squeezing out every euro they could.

I know some places offer free minerals to the designated driver when there are 3 or more drinks bought in the round.

I'm glad the OP brought this up so I can cross the eyre square hotel off the list of pubs I would ever consider going to.
    I hope that particular member of staff, who clearly has zero people skills, enjoys massive failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Caliden wrote: »
    I drive into town sometimes on a saturday night with my friends and normally get miwadi as I don't wanted to be wide awake / scraping the sugar off my teeth when I get home and when I was ever charged for the 'priviledge' I would just change my mind and leave it behind me on the counter.

Woman walks into a bar.
    Barkeep says "what'll you have?"
    Woman says "MiWadi, please."
    Barkeep hands her the MiWadi and asks her for some money.
    Woman says "Oh! It's not free?! In that case I've changed my mind."
    Woman walks off leaving the barkeep to empty the MiWadi down the sink.
    Meanwhile, seven children in Africa die of thirst.

I'm glad the OP brought this up so I can cross the eyre square hotel off the list of pubs I would ever consider going to.
    I hope that particular member of staff, who clearly has zero people skills, enjoys massive failure.

Lads, I know there's a recession on, but would ye ever stop being such a shower of fecking cheapskates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ficheall wrote: »
    Woman walks into a bar.
    Barkeep says "what'll you have?"
    Woman says "MiWadi, please."
    Barkeep hands her the MiWadi and asks her for some money.
    Woman says "Oh! It's not free?! In that case I've changed my mind."
    Woman walks off leaving the barkeep to empty the MiWadi down the sink.
    Meanwhile, seven children in Africa die of thirst.

Better than paying for it, muttering under your breath and coming on the internet to complain about it like 9/10 people do.

Also, since when did pointing out someone was a prick (on more than one occasion) mean you were a cheapskate?

• Advertisement

The fecking bottle costs <2 quid and being the designated driver I would have expected pubs to promote responcible drivers instead of squeezing out every euro they could.

I know some places offer free minerals to the designated driver when there are 3 or more drinks bought in the round.

in fairness your situation is completely different to the ops

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement