Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'delete please'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Ficheall wrote: »
    Woman walks into a bar.
    Barkeep says "what'll you have?"
    Woman says "MiWadi, please."
    Barkeep hands her the MiWadi and asks her for some money.
    Woman says "Oh! It's not free?! In that case I've changed my mind."
    Woman walks off leaving the barkeep to empty the MiWadi down the sink.
    Meanwhile, seven children in Africa die of thirst.

:rolleyes:

OP, If there was a big group of you and they were all buying drinks(not splashing out for 1 euro mi wadi), I might have some sympathy. As it stands, however, it seems as though you and a friend went into a bar and expected to be handed free food, drink, heating, shelter, service etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Caliden wrote: »
    Better than paying for it, muttering under your breath and coming on the internet to complain about it like 9/10 people do.

Better for who?

If someone went into a restaurant, ordered a meal, were given said meal and asked to pay, and then decided they'd changed their mind - would you say that was reasonable?
    Also, since when did pointing out someone was a prick (on more than one occasion) mean you were a cheapskate?

The cheapskate inference was moreso drawn from the complaining about having to pay for a drink in a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

If a pub wants to offer free soft drinks to designated drivers as a service/promotion then good luck to them, if they don't and that is what you want then go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Better for who?

If someone went into a restaurant, ordered a meal, were given said meal and asked to pay, and then decided they'd changed their mind - would you say that was reasonable?

You'd be doing well to miss the prices on the way in and on the menu if you went to a restaurant.
    You would be doing equally as well if you managed to spot a price for a dash in pubs.
    Have another go at that analogy there, good lad.

The cheapskate inference was moreso drawn from the complaining about having to pay for a drink in a bar.

I believe the OP's point was that he was singled out in an empty pub for getting miwadi and enquiring if there would be food.
    If the pub was packed with people and he was drinking miwadi for the night I sincerely doubt much wouldve been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Barman sounds like a twat to be sure. However having worked as a barman for over 18 years, anyone who comes into a pub at 10 o'clock at night and expects to be there till 4am and the first thing they do is ask is have ye free food and I'll just have a mi-wadi, deserves to a bit of scrutiny and questioning. I think if you asked was there a superbowl party on tonight, if he said no, then there goes the food and any special offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Get real !!! FFS you can walk into a pub anytime and watch anything thats on TV. THey're not called public bars for nothing .It is not a private residence. You do not have to buy a drink.
    Oh how so wrong you are. Deluded springs to mind

SparKing wrote: »
    I know of the barman You are talking about, he is the biggest wanker I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.
    Funnily enough I'm pretty sure he is actually the Bar Manager, I saw him embarrass a customer in front of his girlfriend the other staff and me and my mates over something trivial.
    He has no business working in the Services industry in my opinion, no wonder that place is always empty (and the rest of the places in that chain - barring functions).
    P.S. Sky in commercial premises isn't that expensive (and I do know what it costs)
    He'd have no business working as a manager in the service industry if he lefy thh OP sitting there all night for a euro

I drive into town sometimes on a saturday night with my friends and normally get miwadi as I don't wanted to be wide awake / scraping the sugar off my teeth when I get home and when I was ever charged for the 'priviledge' I would just change my mind and leave it behind me on the counter.

The fecking bottle costs <2 quid and being the designated driver I would have expected pubs to promote responcible drivers instead of squeezing out every euro they could.

I know some places offer free minerals to the designated driver when there are 3 or more drinks bought in the round.

I'm glad the OP brought this up so I can cross the eyre square hotel off the list of pubs I would ever consider going to.
    I hope that particular member of staff, who clearly has zero people skills, enjoys massive failure.
    I'd say your friends love hitting the town with you if they have to leave every time you get asked for money for a miwadi:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I think the barman could have been more tactful but I also think he was right to tell the OP to leave. As a former bar manager myself that would really drive me crazy; people coming in expecting free stuff regardless of who told them or not.

Also, what's the story with people thinking MiWadi should be free :confused: It's great when it's given for free, or even at a cheap price, especially if there are children looking for drinks all the time but it should not be expected.

Actually, now that I mention kids, I have seen kids hound bar staff for free miwadi so perhaps it's a deterrent more than anything to charge something for it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I couldn't get in because my tickets had no hologram, there appeared to be no such team as the Spungoes...and they were printed on crackers.

• Advertisement

Shane.C wrote: »
    Fair enough statement, however, did it need to have involved being thrown out of the place?

Why not? Even if there was free food it would have been there for people drinking a few pints etc and spending some money, he should have charged 3 euro for the miwadi tbh.

You cant just go into a pub and expect free drink and free food and free subscription television.

This should be in the "stingiest things stingy people do" thread in after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This thread is epic. OP, come around my house and eat my food, drink my MiWadi, watch my TV whenever you like. Hang onto any petrol receipts too. Oh wait....

'FFS

I read the OP hoping there would be some sort of code hidden in the bolded words but alas, it made no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

FFS indeed. Anyone in town is perfectly entitled to walk in to any pub in town, drink nowt but miwadi (or nothing if they choose not to pay for it), watch the telly provided, and eat the food provided.
    Anyone.

As for deemign the OP a cheapskate, that's all beside the point.
    The point is that there's nothing wrong with being in a pub and not spending money.

As for looking for the food he'd heard about, there's nothing wrong with asking for that either.

Jesus, there's an awful lot of judging here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

996tt wrote: »
    they were dead right. you went to a pub to watch a match on a channel which sky charge a fortune for and you were expecting them to provide you with food and drink for FREE

no they weren't. If thats how this place treats its customers than I will be sure to let everyone know not to touch the place. So what if he was just drinking miwadi - he could have sat there with a glass of tap water if he wanted, its a public bar. If they were told they were to be served food, then they had a right to ask for it. The silly barman was probably upset at him not drinking alcohol, but in fact he should have been looking at the bigger picture - if they had enjoyed their night, they would have spread the word on how great it was, which would mean more business from friends/families, etc.

996tt wrote: »
    that makes so little sense i dont know where to begin

it's simple really - a bar is a public premises - you can sit down with a glass of tap water and watch tv if you want.

Most people buy a drink or two. Could be coke, doesn't necessarily have to be alcohol. Most people don't walk into a bar expecting free refreshments and a comfortable place to watch premium TV and act indignant when called on it.

Sorry, so now you're actually saying that had you not been thirsty you would not have even gotten a mi wadi at all, so in essence expected to sit down and avail of food without spending a cent. You're just making yourself sound worse to be honest.

Free with meals or drinks, sometimes yes. You can't exactly go into many bars and ask for just a Mi Wadi, FOC, and sit there to drink it.

Actually, seeing as the Bar pays for the premium TV, should they feel someone who begrudingly spends a euro on Mi Wadi whilst utilizing their facilities is unentitled to be there, I wouldn't disagree. That you actually asked about free food I would imagine is what really irked them more so then the Mi Wadi. They're not a homeless shelter.

Hang on. First, you're travelling the whole way down from Mayo on the strength of the free food, next you're apparently indifferent to the free food? Which is it?

At past ten on a Sunday night? Not many pubs serving food at that time...

You walked into a business, expecting a free drink as evident by your disgust at the cost of Mi Wadi, and to be able to watch premium TV for several hours without paying anything, as well as eat their food which even the most challenged simpleton understands are for 'paying customers'. So originally you were hoping to spend about 50c (I can only assume given your reaction to paying 1E, possibly you expected the whole night including food and refreshments to be completely without cost to yourself) watch the game for a few hours, eat some food, and are actually shocked that that didn't work out for you? Seriously. :rolleyes:

maybe this premises should take a leaf out of the book of other premises in Galway, who, when showing a match will serve buckets of cocktail sausages, chips, nuggets as a gesture - they don't discriminate between people with a pint, or people with a glass of water - they do it as a gesture of goodwill.

maybe this is why these other premises will be found to be quite full and full of atmosphere when premises like the one discussed here is usually empty.

no they weren't. If thats how this place treats its customers than I will be sure to let everyone know not to touch the place. So what if he was just drinking miwadi - he could have sat there with a glass of tap water if he wanted, its a public bar. If they were told they were to be served food, then they had a right to ask for it. The silly barman was probably upset at him not drinking alcohol, but in fact he should have been looking at the bigger picture - if they had enjoyed their night, they would have spread the word on how great it was, which would mean more business from friends/families, etc.
    Public Bar is an old term that is still used today. If it was public to the meaning you seem to have taken from it the public bar would be open all the time to everyone. The fact is a public bar is actually private property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Id love to know what the OPs real boards user name is, ive a feeling they have also posted in this thread recently:rolleyes:

it's simple really - a bar is a public premises - you can sit down with a glass of tap water and watch tv if you want.
    Is it really? I'm sure the owner of this public premises would have something to say about that.
    How can a private building be a public premises?
    You need to think about this argument again i fear

• Advertisement

If the OP is genuine and not just trying to stir i do feel he is a cheapskate and imo deserved to be thrown out of said premises.
    Public House closing hours on a sunday night is 11pm and since the Superbowl started after 11pm he has no divine right for the manager to do him any favour and sit there for hours spending maybe 2 euro

wet-paint wrote: »
    FFS indeed. Anyone in town is perfectly entitled to walk in to any pub in town, drink nowt but miwadi (or nothing if they choose not to pay for it), watch the telly provided, and eat the food provided.
    Anyone.

As for deemign the OP a cheapskate, that's all beside the point.
    The point is that there's nothing wrong with being in a pub and not spending money.

As for looking for the food he'd heard about, there's nothing wrong with asking for that either.

Jesus, there's an awful lot of judging here.
    How ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oops thought I had closed this earlier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement