Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping on 3 science subjects for the lc?

• 07-02-2011 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hey everybody.....I’m in ty at the moment but we have to pick our subjects for
    leaving cert now. As of right now I want to do a science course (possibly
    biomedical science) and I really don’t think I’ll change my mind (but ye all know how
    frigged up human nature can be sometimes ). Anyways ideally I’d love to do
    medical or scientific research later in life. I know most colleges do biology, chemistry and physics in the first year but our school only runs biology and chemistry which I’ll definitely be doing, along with german. However I need a fourth subject. I was going to do history because I love it but then i have no back up with that so some sort of business maybe?? Our school never runs physics because there’s never enough interest but i think there is enough interest this year......

phys-chem isnt really an option because I don’t think anybody wants to do it (but then again I could be wrong)

So basically what im trying to say is, is it too difficult to keep on 3 science subjects and am i leaving myself at a disadvantage by pigeon holing myself into science? (although,ya i really love science ) Everyone I know thinks im mad to be thinking about keeping on 3 science subjects so I need an outside opinion.

Thanks!!

*edit
    I did higher level maths for the junior cert and had an absolute chronic teacher so came out with a c (couldnt afford grinds...will have ta figure out something for the lc :P) but i actually thought id fail (im serious,she was awful.......)Yes i know science and maths go hand in hand but am i completley screwed? i actually amnt that bad at maths,i dont hate it,it just takes me a good while ta wrap my head around it!! so regarding physics (and science in general)...is the standard im at in maths honestly good enough?? :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If you really love science then go for it. I do all three sciences and despite what people may say its not too much science!! When I was in TY I didn't like anything else but I was perfectly happy to spend all day doing science, which I basically get to do now! As opposed to thinking about pigeon holing or whatever, what do you enjoy studying (as much as anyone can enjoy studying), because its a lot easier to spend 2 hours at subjects you like versus 2 hours at a subject you hate/find boring.

The great thing about science as opposed to say History or English is when you are right you are right. There are no marks going for expression, so if you want to get a really high mark if you work hard you will get it.

Yeah when people say they want to do three sciences, other people go "woah, that's tough", but it sounds tougher than it is. There is a certain amount of crossover between the sciences (particularly phys and chem) so it isn't actually that bad. Go for what you're interested in. If it turns out you change your mind and don't want to do science in college, points are points, so the subjects you do will stand to your benefit either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I think if you're that way inclined it's a smart decision, I'm doing all 3. Other than that the combination of H.E. Accountancy/business and biology seems to overlap somewhat too and was quite high as an option in my year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

I'd say go for it. But you don't necessarily need all 3 science subjects. For my Leaving I did Biology and Chemistry and this year I'm doing those along with Physics. But when you go to college, they start Physics from the beginning. Either that or I just find Physics easy.

I would definately advise doing Chemistry because that is kind of the "central science" and opens up a lot more doors than Physics and Biology. You may even decide to pursue Medicine and Chemistry is mandatory in that respect.

As for a fourth choice subject, I'd advise a language. Most Universities these day's require one. I did German and loved it so if you're good at that, you could get high points with it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

By choosing 3 sciences and a language, you're not closing yourself off from any college courses. Requirements are only for sciences and languages, there's never a requirement for a Business subject, not even for Business/Commerce courses.

If you really enjoy the Sciences, then do pick them, but if there's one your just picking for the sake of having all three, then it wouldn't be advisable.

I only do Biology (I do Business, Economics, Biology and French) and I hate Biology. I only picked it to have myself covered for any course that I may have wanted to do, but alas now I don't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Doing at least 2 sciences and a 3rd language leaves you open to *almost* every college course in the country, if you can get the points of course. :)

I'm doing the 3 sciences, and that "too much science" stuff people tell you, is, frankly, a load of bullshít. I loved science in Junior Cert and was good at it, then in LC it suddenly becomes 3 (not including maths) subjects out of 7, very nice! :) It's safe to say that I enjoy LC much more than I enjoyed JC because I picked the 3 sciences, I like nearly all my LC subjects.

If you can't do physics, I wouldn't be too miffed. 2 out of 3 ain't bad, and it won't stop you doing anything science related. :) You can't do physics or chemistry (seperate) and phys/chem (combined), so if you're gonna do chemistry (which I'd highly recommend), then you can't do phys/chem. If you love history, then do history instead of physics! :)

Pick the subjects you *like*, as they are the subjects you'll most likely go onto study in the future, if you like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭GirlsAloud

I do all 3 sciences.. Don't do it if you don't love science.. I did like science, but It's just got too much for me and I can't stand it any more Hahah... (:
    xxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

jumpguy wrote: »
    Doing at least 2 sciences and a 3rd language leaves you open to *almost* every college course in the country, .

I wouldn't say almost every college course. A decent amount of courses require a C3 in honours Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Off the top of my head there's not a single course in the country that requires a business subject / arts subject (Geography, History etc) yet there's plenty of courses where a science is required. You're in no way limiting your choices by doing all sciences and if you enjoy doing science without a doubt do all 3, make sure you do a 2nd language though. AFAIK every Uni in Ireland requires that you have a 2nd language. Choose the 3 subjects you like the most, there then straightaway the 3 easiest to learn as you enjoy them which makes a huge difference. You may need a HC3 to apply for some courses but the majority of science courses also accept ordinary, it's only Engineering which usually requires a HC3 or above and computer sciences in Trinity, I know CS in Ucd can be gotten with an ordinary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I was just coming to ask the same question. (sorry for asking in your thread vamp but our queries seem so similar I though it'd be pointless starting another) I was looking at medical research after school and was considering the 3 core sciences (Phys, Chem, Bio) so as to maximize the options available to me down the scientific route but was advised by the guidance counsellor that I would be taking on an excessive work load when coupled with HL Maths and possibly Applied Maths outside school. I would also be taking HL on Irish and English as well.

So ye are saying that the work load isn't as heavy as they make out? BTW, I didn't have any problems with these subjects JC, breezing through the Science exam on minimum study with only a little more effort put into maths (got A's in both maths and science in the JC, and A's in both in the mocks as well with a 92% in maths.)

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I was just coming to ask the same question. I was looking at medical research after school and was considering the 3 core sciences (Phys, Chem, Bio) so as to maximize the options available to me down the scientific route but was advised by the guidance counsellor that I would be taking on an excessive work load when coupled with HL Maths and possibly Applied Maths outside school. I would also be taking HL on Irish and English as well.

So ye are saying that the work load isn't as heavy as they make out? BTW, I didn't have any problems with these subjects JC, breezing through the Science exam on minimum study with only a little more effort put into maths (got A's in both maths and science in the JC, and A's in both in the mocks as well with a 92% in maths.)

The work load for some is heavier than others. I know for Chemistry that you don't have a massive folder of notes for Biology, but that it's a very specific course (formulas/theories/etc).
    Biology is just an extremely long course. I'm in 6th year now and we're still not finished the course. The other Biology class has 6/7 chapters left to do, and my class has 1 (Our teacher went through the course fast..).

If you really enjoy all of the Sciences it'd be a good idea to take them all up, but if you find one tough, then you'd probably be better off to take on a different subject.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    The work load for some is heavier than others. I know for Chemistry that you don't have a massive folder of notes for Biology, but that it's a very specific course (formulas/theories/etc).
    Biology is just an extremely long course. I'm in 6th year now and we're still not finished the course. The other Biology class has 6/7 chapters left to do, and my class has 1 (Our teacher went through the course fast..).

If you really enjoy all of the Sciences it'd be a good idea to take them all up, but if you find one tough, then you'd probably be better off to take on a different subject.
    I don't find any tough, and I can learn formulae and definitions without too much hassle. I did much prefer the phys-chem side of things rather than bio for JC. The only reason I want to keep bio as I was worried some med research courses may require bio specifically rather than "a science subject" or "two science subjects"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

When I was in Transition Year, I had a similar dilemma. I felt that doing all three sciences would keep me covered quite well for any college course in that field, but at the same time I've always loved history. In the end I ended up doing physics, chemistry and history, and as I'm sitting my mocks right now I don't regret my choices.
    If you're a more versatile individual who likes both science and the humanities, I think history might be a good choice for you. When you get tired of experiments and calculations you can always switch to history, write some essays, give yourself an outlet in a form other than English essays. Then when you've seen enough long words and paragraphs you go back to the sciences.

It's a good way to educate yourself, you never become bored and keep your options wide open when choosing a college degree :).

I was just coming to ask the same question. (sorry for asking in your thread vamp but our queries seem so similar I though it'd be pointless starting another) I was looking at medical research after school and was considering the 3 core sciences (Phys, Chem, Bio) so as to maximize the options available to me down the scientific route but was advised by the guidance counsellor that I would be taking on an excessive work load when coupled with HL Maths and possibly Applied Maths outside school. I would also be taking HL on Irish and English as well.

In biology, the workload is mainly due to the fact there is quite a lot of material to learn on the course.

In chemistry, the workload is that while there is a lot of material on the course, to do well you need to understand the concepts. It's concepts that have to be understood, not learning mathematical formulae and theories (don't think there's any mathematical theories on the course, and almost all formulae needed are in the log tables). This basically involves listening in class and asking questions if you don't understand things. A bit of independent thinking about things also helps, you might just find that stuff will click. It's a very rewarding subject and when you get the stuff, the workload is really very small compared to behemoths such as geography or business.

In physics, the workload involves a bit of both. Understanding and learning, but the understanding is mainly focused on the maths side, and if you're good enough at maths, it's made easier. The course is shorter than biology, but longer than chemistry (or so it seems to me anyway, it might be the same lenght as chemistry...)

Careers teachers turning students off sciences because they percieve them as being heftier than subjects like history, business or geography really shouldn't be careers teachers. Sciences just have a different sort of workload rather than just learning stuff off by heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Physics isn't a huge amount of work, understand the concepts, learn experiments, learn definitions, you're set.

Ditto with chemistry, but with a bit more material to learn off, can be quite abstract to start off with.

Biology has significantly less understanding involved and more pure rote learning, but is interesting in parts (I hated plant biology passionately, and found most macrobiology to be quite tedious, but I loved respiration and genetics, which often trips people up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

In my school, I can pick one from each group:

Group 1: Ag sci or biology.

Group 2: DCG, chemistry, geography.

Group 3: Physics, biology.

I am also doing french.

I don't care too much about the other subjects.

Could I do geo or chemistry outside of school as well? Would it be take up a ridiculous amount of time?

I really want to do science after school, particularly chemistry related courses.

I was thinking of doing physics, geography and biology.
    I wanted to do physics, geography and chemistry, but chemistry and geography clash in the timetable.:mad:

I am also doing french.

Could I do geo or chemistry outside of school as well? Would it be take up a ridiculous amount of time?

I really want to do science after school, particularly chemistry related courses.

I wanted to do physics, geography and chemistry, but chemistry and geography clash in the timetable.:mad:
    I'm in the same boat as you but I'd say Geography is the easier of the two to do outside school. Geography is a learning subject while chemistry is an understanding one.

I'm in the same boat as you but I'd say Geography is the easier of the two to do outside school. Geography is a learning subject while chemistry is an understanding one.

Except geography involves a project. You'd either need a really good tutor/teacher to help you with it because it's worth a good percentage of the entire course. The geography class in my year had been focusing on it for a good 3/4 weeks to get it perfect, so I doubt you could really do it on your own.

@OP If you want to do a chemistry based course after college, the choice is pretty much already made for you. Chemistry > Geography. Geography isn't going to be relevant to the course that you'll be doing, whereas chemistry clearly will. I think it should be a pretty easy choice for you to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I am also doing french.

If you want to do a chemistry based course after school do chemistry now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Take chemistry obviously if you want to do science after school. Can you risk not being able to teach yourself subject, thereby potentially excluding yourself from the course you want to do? How can you say you want to do something chemistry-y and you don't even want to do the leaving cert course that much? Geography is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

I am also doing french.

Why on Earth would you pick geography over chemistry if you want to do chemistry in college? I couldn't imagine myself doing chemistry outside school without lots of grinds tbh...

Advertisement