Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Accommodation

Options
  • 07-02-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Mods move this if it is not appropriate. I wouldn't post it except that it is an emergency

My sister recently had a serious issue with her pregnancy and had to be sectioned this past wednesday in the university hospital. She was 6 months pregnant so the baby will be in the hospital for around the next 3 months. My sister will also be in hospital for a week or so to recover.

Financially they are not the best off. My Brother in Law recently lost his job and now my sister is also out of work for the foreseeable future due to this. Just wondering if anyone can let us know if they of any low cost apartments that are going in the city that they could rent on a month by month basis (preferably within a walking distance to the hospital)

I appreciate that accommodation threads may not be permitted here but the last few days have been traumatic to say the least and would be extremely grateful if anyone could help us.

Regards,
    Allen (apoch632)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Do ye have transport? I feel for your sitation. Where do ye live now? Tuam has some really cheap accomadation for example(link) and I am sure you could negotiate terms with the agencies. Please let us know how all goes. Hope mother and baby recover well.

Make sure to get all the benefits entitled to through the social... St Vincent De Paul can provide help too.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1006130

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Headford is cheap for rent and about 20 minutes of a drive...

You might get some sympathy from one of the hotels. If you give them the business for meals they might give you a room...?? I know some have been charitable in the past for people that travelled here and had some emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Do ye have transport? I feel for your sitation. Where do ye live now? Tuam has some really cheap accomadation for example(link) and I am sure you could negotiate terms with the agencies. Please let us know how all goes. Hope mother and baby recover well.

Make sure to get all the benefits entitled to through the social... St Vincent De Paul can provide help too.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1006130

They would need to live in the city if possible. They couldn't afford the petrol in and out of Tuam every day which is why we are trying to get as close to the hospital as possible. Also with how early the baby was born there are gonna be bumps in the road while she is in the hospital so would need to be as close as possible.

We are getting onto the social welfare and I will get onto St. Vincent De Paul as well.
    Cheers

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Headford is cheap for rent and about 20 minutes of a drive...

You might get some sympathy from one of the hotels. If you give them the business for meals they might give you a room...?? I know some have been charitable in the past for people that travelled here and had some emergency.

Cheers for the idea. Will get on it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe something like this? Not the cheapest but close to hospital.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=985703
    €150 Weekly Furnished, No Minimum Lease
    Spacious 1 Bedroom Flat available to let now.
    Fully furnished and located within minutes walk of UCHG, NUIG, Dominick Street and Shop Street.
    It is the only flat in the building so it is secure and quite.
    Ideal for a single professional or a young couple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I would ask the hospital themselves as they would constantly see family members looking for nearby accommodation because of loved ones being in hospital for a prolonged period.

What kinda budget have they so we can help better? Clybaun hotel are 39 euro a night per room when booked in advance. Also would you consider renting a room instead?

What kinda budget have they so we can help better? Clybaun hotel are 39 euro a night per room when booked in advance. Also would you consider renting a room instead?

I'll find out as soon as a I can. Should be by tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

One of my kids was born 3 months early too so she can expect to be at least 4 months in hospital. The staff at the Special Care Baby Unit at UHG are unbelievable. My kid is perfect now.

I strongly suggest you contact the newly formed Irish Premature Babies charity who will have lots of advice Their website is www.irishprematurebabies.com and there is a helpline phone number and a buddy system.

Also, the excellent Irish Parenting Rollercoaster website have a very active forum www.rollercoaster.ie

If your sister needs someone to talk to, send me a PM with contact details and my wife will chat to her about our experience.

How much is your sister able of pay for an apartment? I just phoned someone I know who will get back to me tomorrow. They might take €100 per week for a 2 bedroom apartment in Salthill.

I will post here again tomorrow.

apoch632 wrote: »
    I'll find out as soon as a I can. Should be by tomorrow morning

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1002567 something like this might suit on main bus route is a B&B in summer as far as I know so homely enough for himself and I am sure they will too have a heart to this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

There is a social work dept in the hospital; one specifically for people in the mental health unit who have been sectioned and also a dedicated maternity unit team. I would most def approach these as soon as possible as they have contacts etc in the city and can direct you to some helpful places

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

biko wrote: »
    Maybe something like this? Not the cheapest but close to hospital.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=985703
    I don't see how your going to get accommodation cheaper than fuel. I could go to Dublin and back a few times for €150 in my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I know people are trying to help suggesting renting a place outside the city but when you have a baby in the SCBU you really need to be as close as you can to the hospital. My daughter was only 6 weeks early but for a time she needed to be fed every 1 1/2 hours, i only live in Newcastle but i even found it difficult to make it on time sometimes.
    As ErnieBert said, contact www.irishprematurebabies.com they do fantastic work and are a real comfort, it's always good to talk to someone else who's been thrugh the same.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how your going to get accommodation cheaper than fuel. I could go to Dublin and back a few times for €150 in my car.

Maybe you dont realise the seriousness of this. The newborn is 3 months premature and his wife still bed bound. He needs to be near the hospital.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There is a social work dept in the hospital; one specifically for people in the mental health unit who have been sectioned and also a dedicated maternity unit team. I would most def approach these as soon as possible as they have contacts etc in the city and can direct you to some helpful places

I think he means C-Sectioned, I read it the same at first.

You could try putting an ad in the advertiser. Someone with an empty property might help you out.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think he means C-Sectioned, I read it the same at first.

You could try putting an ad in the advertiser. Someone with an empty property might help you out.

Thats a good idea... Talk to Galway Advertiser or Galway Bay fm are very obliging for this kinda thing. And yes lol the OP meant c-section, thats quiet enough to worry about right now. ;)

Yes I meant C-Sectioned. Sorry for any confusion

Also I am posting this on behalf of my sister and brother in law

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe you dont realise the seriousness of this. The newborn is 3 months premature and his wife still bed bound. He needs to be near the hospital.
    Sorry it's just originally cost of fuel was brought up as a determining factor for staying close by. I think it should be taken out as it won't cost less to stay in the city rather than drive from outside it where everything's cheaper.

I think the radio option is probably the best one. If they could put out a request there's probably a few B&Bs near by the hospital. I suppose he would need to be very close as it can take just as long to drive from one side of the city to the other as it would to drive from Tuam to Galway during peak traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My sincere apologies OP that I misread..but again, contact the social workers in the maternity ward. They are busy but dedicated to helping mums and babies

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how your going to get accommodation cheaper than fuel.

Trips there and back three four times a day, seven days a week, would still add up.

TBH, it makes me cross when some posts saying "can ye help with X", and the response is basically "Nah, you don't need X, try Y instead". Sure it's sometimes helpful, but this isn't one of those times.

OP, if you don't get help from the social work dept (and you should, 'cos it's their job!), try the local parish priest (Westside or perhaps St Joseph's in Presentation Rd) - they may know a local family with a granny-flat or similar that would be lent for next to nothing with the right strings pulled. (It doesn't matter if you or your SIL/BIL don't believe in God/Church/whatever - it's the priest/parish who are being asked to be Christian here, not your family :) )

Personally I wouldn't recommend a B&B in this situation: they'll need a bit of space rather than just a bedroom if they're going to be there for several months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement