Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sig SHR970

Options
  • 07-02-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Is there anyone on this forum that has one of these rifles. I own one myself but have never met any other owners. They seem to be quite rare, it's a pity I think they are a top class piece of kit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cra

I guess these rifles a rarer than I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Just googled it, nice bit of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

cra wrote: »
    I guess these rifles a rarer than I thought

Pictures :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

sig_str970.jpg
    It's just another olt action

Data: SIG LTR 970
    Caliber(s): 7.62mm NATO (.308Win) ant .300 Win magnum
    Operation: Bolt action, rotating bolt
    Barrel: 609 mm
    Weight: 4.43 kg empty without scope
    Length: 1143 mm
    Feed Mechanism: 4 (.308 win) or 3 (.300 win mag) rounds detachable box mag.

Both STR and SHR 970 models are based on SHR (Swiss Hunting Rifle) actions and manufactured by SIGarms, Switzerland. The SHR model is marketed as "Lightweight Tacticla Rifle", while STR is addresed as "Long range Tactical Rifle". The STR model, has McMillan stock, while SHR model has (unknown) stock. Both stocks made from polymer.
    SIG 970 action is designed with quick interchangeable barrels/calibers, with bolt locking directly into barrel.
    The barrel itself has heavy contours and id fluted to reduce weight and improve heat dissipation. Both .308 and .300 win mag barrels has integral muzzle brakes.
    Rifle has 3 positions safety mechanism ("Fire", "Safe, Bolt locked", "Safe, Bolt unlocked"). Cocking indicator is located on the rear of the bolt. Receiver is drilled and taped to accept scope mounts.
    Exact accuracy is unknown, but one could expect it to be 1MOA or less with proper ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

sig_str970.jpg
    It's just another olt action

Data: SIG LTR 970
    Caliber(s): 7.62mm NATO (.308Win) ant .300 Win magnum
    Operation: Bolt action, rotating bolt
    Barrel: 609 mm
    Weight: 4.43 kg empty without scope
    Length: 1143 mm
    Feed Mechanism: 4 (.308 win) or 3 (.300 win mag) rounds detachable box mag.

Both STR and SHR 970 models are based on SHR (Swiss Hunting Rifle) actions and manufactured by SIGarms, Switzerland. The SHR model is marketed as "Lightweight Tacticla Rifle", while STR is addresed as "Long range Tactical Rifle". The STR model, has McMillan stock, while SHR model has (unknown) stock. Both stocks made from polymer.
    SIG 970 action is designed with quick interchangeable barrels/calibers, with bolt locking directly into barrel.
    The barrel itself has heavy contours and id fluted to reduce weight and improve heat dissipation. Both .308 and .300 win mag barrels has integral muzzle brakes.
    Rifle has 3 positions safety mechanism ("Fire", "Safe, Bolt locked", "Safe, Bolt unlocked"). Cocking indicator is located on the rear of the bolt. Receiver is drilled and taped to accept scope mounts.
    Exact accuracy is unknown, but one could expect it to be 1MOA or less with proper ammunition.

looks neat

• Advertisement

Thanks Tackleberrywho, I know its just another bolt action, I was just wondering did anyone else have one.

I know there are a few of them in the country, I think Jim Griffen brought them in originaly but they stopped making them in 2002.

I'll post a few pictures when I get a chance, its a little bit different than the STR model in the picture. Also Enda Walsh is making me a stock at the moment so I'll put up afew pics of that aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RidgeRunner

I bought one many years ago i 7mm Mag and I love it. By the time I wanted a different barrel, they had stopped production. I'd still be interested in a .300 Win Mag if there's one out there.

Hi ridgerunner, glad to hear that there is more of these out there. 7mm mag would be interesting. Unfortunatley barrells or any parts are nearly impossible to get, I'm trying to source a set trigger at the moment but its nearly impossible. I found a place in Switzerland that have some stuff but I am having communication difficulties to put it mildly but if it works out I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Repins

I've got one in the for sale section, It's the hunter model in 6.5x55.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wolfsshadow

just put a deposit on a .270 one, looking forward to seeing how it performs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Malaga2

did you ever get that stock made for this rifle? I think the SHR is probably one of the most underated rifles out there. Mine will put five rounds in half an inch at 100yds. Lost count on the number of deer I have taken with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Saw a guy shoot 2 rounds from sig 205 into 1/4" @ lasered 400m a few years ago. Cal 6.5x55

Sig 205 never saw a better designed rifle.

he had Leupold Mk4 scope + mounts, shooting from a bench

image-3.jpg

This one sometimes wears a Leupold MK4 3.5*10*40 with M3 turrets....I paid $479 new for her about 12-15 years ago....very hard to find today and almost impossible in a 308.

Yep got a stock custom built be Enda Walsh.

http://www.customandprecisionrifles.com

He did a great job pics do not do it justice
    rifle1.JPG
    rifle2.JPG

Beautiful....a little too much for my working rifle though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 buck1

sig shr 970

i have two of those fine rifles, one tactical macmillan stock in 308win with match barrel and one regular barrel in 270 win and 7mm mag barrel for hunting.
    a set trigger would be sweet!!!

Advertisement