Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study for 2012

• 07-02-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hope those of you who have gone through or are doing the Leaving can give some advice.

Son will be sitting the Leaving cert next year, 2012, What study should he be doing each evening and at the week-end now so that his life will be a bit easier when he gets closer to the exams.

Thanks. :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i didn't do any proper study in 5th year.
    you really should just do your homework and do a bit of study for class tests or summer exams and you'll be grand. Just work hard at the stuff in class this year so it goes into your head and it'll be easier to revise when he's in 6th.

Depends on the student. Some people need to study hard to do well and so studying and planning are very important. Other people find it more helpful to just keep up to speed in class and then do intense revision 2 months or so from exams (not just the LC, I mean christmas and summer exams and class tests etc.). Personally if I had done consistent study from 5th year, I might have gotten a better mark, but I would have been constantly stressed out for two years straight. I didn't do enough work, but I greatly increased my mark (IMO) by staying calm, getting all the right sleep, getting out, not panicking. The LC is important for getting into college but I know a few people who worked so hard for it they're slightly lacking in other areas now. I also know a few people who worked far harder for far longer than me who didn't do very well at all because they completely burnt themselves out. Maybe it's a bit early to be monitoring your son's study?

If however you're just looking for an idea of what he could (not should) be doing, it's recommended here that leaving cert year should be four hours a night (http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre.asp?id=292), and I'm pretty sure that when I was in 5th year the recommended time was either an hour or half an hour less than the recommended time for LC year. So roughly 3-3.5 hours a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

It depends on the student really, if he's doing ok in school there really is no need to start doing any proper studying in 5th year!! I'm in 6th year now, and I didnt really do study except for tests...... just tell him to do all his homework properly and not half assed esp in essay writing as most of my previous essays are really helping me now for my mocks...! Oh and really start studying at the start of 6th year cause now I really regret not studying earlier and is stressing out for the mocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I did no study at all in 5th year. As long as he does his homework and studies for class tests he should be okay. Doing homework every night helps so much in remembering things next year and helping him understand then next year. If he's having problems understanding things in a certain subject then maybe grinds every couple of week would help, but besides that I'd focus on homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

paulgalway wrote: »
    Hope those of you who have gone through or are doing the Leaving can give some advice.

Son will be sitting the Leaving cert next year, 2012, What study should he be doing each evening and at the week-end now so that his life will be a bit easier when he gets closer to the exams.

Thanks. :confused:

Definitely work hard in 5th year, makes life a hell of a lot easier. A good 5th year is half the workload. Do all homework even if it takes him an extra couple of minutes. Study before chapter tests etc. It really helps. Don't let him become arrogant and have the " I know all the stuff for this test, I'll be grand" he should still revise some notes

From Christmas 2012, he study 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Give him his friday and saturday night off but study the other 5 days. That two hours should include homework. When getting closer to the mocks up that by half an hour or add an extra day. After the mocks take a few days off and restart then about 2 weeks later. Be sure to take plenty of notes so you can consult them easily rather than looking through a book. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement