Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

height of motorised dish off ground + diseqc?

• 08-02-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi ,have 4 way diseqc switch presently with 28,19,13 feeding it,
    have an azbox receiver,does anyone have experience of running a motor thru a diseqc switch port.i imagine motor is after switch.
    anyway the plan is to mount a new triax td110 with motor on a post concreted upright,so in mind of strong winds recently got me thinking would i miss sats to far east and west of horizon if kept within a foot of ground for shelter?
    have no trees or houses to southern horizon thankfully but was a bit exposed to south westerlys last night although my other dishes on south gable of house were hardly budging (don't fancy that big dish attached to house if it took off !,would be easier to play with on ground level?)icon7.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

hi ,have 4 way diseqc switch presently with 28,19,13 feeding it,
    have an azbox receiver,does anyone have experience of running a motor thru a diseqc switch port.i imagine motor is after switch.

In relation to diseqc with azbox it works a treat with motor after switch, others can advise on the motorised dish height i hope.
    driving motor through diseqc? - boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11 scullyonweb

thanks downwiththatsor,can't believe i missed that thread.
    great to hear it has worked for someone else ,sounds like an ideal set up with best of both worlds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Used to use NPRM's a lot in my last job when installing VSAT's, even at ground level. I don't have the PDF handy for the exact model I used but here's an idea of what they're like from a link found on google http://www.skywareglobal.com/Public/Docs/1_2m%20NPRM%20VSA001.pdf

If I remember correctly, I got ours made in Germany and were for 1.8M antenna's and 220mph wind load - was a bit overkill at times and sometimes I'd use the 1.2M NPRM's which were rated around 130Mph wind load I think.

Anyway, when the situation dictated, and especially in some countries in Africa where importation was both costly and long winded, we'd get some local metal fabricators to knock up replica's instead.

It's an option anyway and they can be set down permanent in the ground also if you wished, not necessarily only for a roof setting. What we also did at times was strengthen the upright with metal arms (it's hard to explain sorry) which helped an awful lot to steady the pole in high winds.

If it's your own garden and the missus or neighbours won't be moaning at you, you could even consider something like this at ground level, but strengthen the corner posts just to be sure -
    http://www.phaster.com/golden_hill_free_web/non_penetrating_roof_mount.html

Paint it green and grow bushes over it to hide it away :)

EDIT: Here's another link with some handy idea's if it helps at all, not just NPRM's either... http://www.tessco.com/products/productHierarchy.do?groupId=341

If you've a local FÁS course running metal fab workshops, throw them in a spec, diagram and an idea on what you want - I'm sure they'd happily knock something up for you at a low cost. I did the same myself at one stage when I had a 1M motorised dish installed on my balcony in my flat (on the top floor) in Ballymun. I needed a particularly strong and steady wall mounted post to keep the dish steady in nearly consistently high winds - the lads had it made in an hour, galvanised and all, and only asked for a few euro for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 scullyonweb

thanks for all the links nehaxak,never thought of all those options!
    think your fas idea is the best though for getting anything made up.
    ;)

Advertisement