Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buy domain

Options
  • 08-02-2011 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

This is probably not the right place - but its the best fit.

There is a domain that is parked by godaddy by a person who obviously is not using it (nor his twitter) and I would like that domain.

It expires in April - can I pre-buy it or do I just have to wait until that date and try and buy it.

Or has anyone tried godaddys route of them negotiating for the sale?

Or could/should I contact the owner directly (whois, email)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There is a domain that is parked by godaddy by a person who obviously is not using it (nor his twitter) and I would like that domain.

Why is it "obvious"?

You have no easy way of knowing if the domain registrant is using the domain name for email or if they are using a sub-domain for various things

It expires in April - can I pre-buy it or do I just have to wait until that date and try and buy it.

You can try to back-order it, but there is no guarantee that the current registrant won't renew it
    Or could/should I contact the owner directly (whois, email)
    That can work out a lot more expensive. You'd be better off using a 3rd party agent to handle it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Ok, he could be using it for that but it is unlikely considering it is a perfect domain for actual use along with the unused twitter and hotmail account linked to the domain.

But good point I am guessing, true.

Ok thanks for the advice - I will go through an agent although I despise that particular registrar.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

If you can wait, I recommend seeing if they let it expire in April. If they don't renew it you can buy it after the redemption period (usually 30 days after it expires). You might save a lot of money this way, if an agent contacts them now the selling price will certainly be higher than the registration cost if you wait a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

That was what I was thinking, if they see interest they might bump up the price or just renew it hoping I will pay them off.

They could be using the site for what blacknight said, so this could all be irrelevant but I really do think they just bought it and forgot about or didnt get around to using it.

I suppose while I am waiting - I could actually do stuff to put onto the portfolio I am going to put up on the site...

Thanks everybody.

Advertisement