Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp tasting kit brew beer (beginner advice needed)

Options
  • 08-02-2011 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all. I got a homebrew kit for Christmas and recently brewed up my first batch. I followed the instructions religiously and everything seemed to work fine. I bottled the beer, added some more sugar and left them to sit in the hot press for the required two weeks.

I had my first taste today, tow weeks since bottling, but the beer had a very sharp after taste. I was quite disappionted with it and I really can't think where I went wrong. Maybe this is how the beer is supposed to taste? The kit I used was Coopers Original Lager (the green one) with 1kg of brewing sugar.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Leave it alone for another week or two and see how it is then. My second brew tasted very sharp after 6 weeks but after another 4 weeks it has mellowed and is rather nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

blackmadra wrote: »
    I followed the instructions religiously
    Mistake number 1. Kit instructions are often misleading.
    left them to sit in the hot press
    Mistake number 2. Beer should never be left in a hot press. Cooper's kits are Australian and the recommended temperatures are normal ambient temperatures in an Australian house, but they're on the high side for beer.
    a very sharp after taste.
    That does sound like something that may mellow in time. If not, take this as a warning -- people have made worse first-effort beers I'm sure -- and take a look at some of the advice from experienced brewers on this thread and other places before you try again. But do try again.

Here's some good stuff on kits, with better instructions than the ones supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I have the same kit and am going to start it this week. It does seem that the instructions that come with the kit are a little vague. On the coopers site there are better instructions, but they are totally different. In the kit it says that you should ferment the lager at 21-24c. That is quite difficult to maintain, so I bought a brewbelt. Outside temperatures are -10 here, so the spare room is a little cold.

Any advice on how long and what temperature the basic Coopers Lager kit should be done at? I will add half spray malt and half sugar.

Thanks

Any advice on how long and what temperature the basic Coopers Lager kit should be done at?
    Any kit is ideal at 18C*. Lower it'll just take longer, but above 22 and you may start to get off flavours. Bear in mind that fermenting yeast generates its own heat. If the room is cold, even just a blanket will help keep the temperature up.

*In fact, any ale at all is ideal at 18. "Lager" kits are really blonde ale. Real lagers use a different strain of yeast, one which ferments at 10-12C.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Any kit is ideal at 18C*. Lower it'll just take longer, but above 22 and you may start to get off flavours. Bear in mind that fermenting yeast generates its own heat. If the room is cold, even just a blanket will help keep the temperature up.

*In fact, any ale at all is ideal at 18. "Lager" kits are really blonde ale. Real lagers use a different strain of yeast, one which ferments at 10-12C.

Should I ditch the brewbelt so, or use it now and again?

• Advertisement

Should I ditch the brewbelt so, or use it now and again?
    It depends on the temperature of your beer. If the liquid is below about 17 there's no harm in giving it a brief warm-up. But remember that too cold is much better than too warm. Just keep an eye on the temperature, and remember to sanitise your thermometer when you're checking!

BeerNut wrote: »
    It depends on the temperature of your beer. If the liquid is below about 17 there's no harm in giving it a brief warm-up. But remember that too cold is much better than too warm. Just keep an eye on the temperature, and remember to sanitise your thermometer when you're checking!

Cool. Thanks. Will the sticky thermometer strip supplied with the Coopers kit not do?

It might give you a general idea, but I can't see how it'll give you an accurate reading. Try comparing its reading with one taken in the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blackmadra

Thanks for the info guys. I fully intend to give it another shot! The beer I have now is drinkable but just not all that nice. I'll leave it a few more weeks.

While it was brewing in the bucket, I kept the temperature around 22 - 26C. by leaving it beside the radiator and using the brewbelt at night. Are you saying that this was too warm and probably responsible for the sharp taste? What temperature should I be aiming for while it is in the bucket? What temperature (roughly) should the bottled beer be stored at during secondary fermentation? In general how long are you supposed to wait after bottling before you can drink it?

Again many thanks for the advice!

Are you saying that this was too warm
    Yes.
    and probably responsible for the sharp taste?
    Hard to say. You'd expect a funky, sort-of sour, flavour from too-warm beer. Not necessarily sharp.
    What temperature should I be aiming for while it is in the bucket?
    18-20.
    What temperature (roughly) should the bottled beer be stored at during secondary fermentation?
    18-20. Fermentation is fermentation: the yeast doesn't know or care if it's doing primary, secondary or bottle conditioning ("secondary" usually means in a fermentor, once it's in the bottle it's called bottle conditioning. Be sure that fermentation has stopped completely before you bottle or the bottles could explode).
    In general how long are you supposed to wait after bottling before you can drink it?
    I find minimum two weeks, best after three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blackmadra

Cheers man. I'll let you know how it goes!

In the Coopers kit you get Brew Enhancer 2 (1KG). It states that this is to replace sugar in the brew. I had planned to put 1/2 Kg of the Brew Enhancer in with 1/2 KG of Spray malt. Now I read that the Brew Enhancer has malt in it. Should I stick my half/half plan or should I put in the whole Kg of Brew enhancer? Also when does this get mixed into the brew? Thanks

Should I stick my half/half plan or should I put in the whole Kg of Brew enhancer?
    I doubt it'll make a huge difference either way. I'd go with as much malt as possible, so half-and-half.
    Also when does this get mixed into the brew?
    When it's at its hottest. You can probably throw it on top of the can gunk before you pour on the boiling water.

Great. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement