Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

could power surges be causing my problems

• 08-02-2011 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Have been having a lot of issues the last few months could these be caused by power surges
    over the last couple of months
    - got a new sky HD box about 4 months ago which gave trouble from day 1 and gradually got worse got it changed a few weeks back and the new box only lasted e few days and am on my 3rd new box
    - got a new PS3 at christmas to replace old one that went a few months before christmas(old 1 was a few years old and was a reconditioned 1 i got from sony to replace another faulty 1). since this morning the new PS3 is not working( only 5 weeks old)
    - have had terrible online issues which have been going on for months eircom eventually put it down to faulty router, a switch to vodafone and a new router havent sorted it and have been on to vodafone over a dozen times, and they keep insisting the line is ok

1 of the people sent out to replace the sky box suggested it may be power surges, there is an esb box directly outside my house, i live in a small housing estate in ratoath which has about 50 houses. ratoath has has a number of power cuts over the last 6 months

what do think ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Nuttkicker,

I am sorry to hear of the trouble you have been experiencing. Power surges are sudden spikes in voltage in your electricity supply. Repeated, small power surges can shorten the life of your appliances and electronics.

Computers, Televisions, stereos and games consoles are some of the appliances that can be affected in your home. The best way of preventing damage to your electrical appliances is with surge protection equipment. They can be found at most electrical retailers and prevent damage from sudden spikes in voltage. There is some more information on our website here.

From your post I understand that this is an ongoing matter. I would recommend that you contact ESB Networks and raise a voltage complaint. They will measure the voltage your receive. Your can contact them by email here or by telephone on 1850 372 757 (Monday - Saturday 8.00am - 8.00pm).

Many thanks
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NuttKicker

cheers i rang them this morning they will sent someone out and moniter the line for 10 days then send a report. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Out of interest, if the cause turns out to be something induced by the provider e.g. voltage spikes etc. will the op's costs be covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Tommy21,

This type of situation is dealt with by ESB Networks. They take care of the maintenance and repair of the Electricity Network. As Nuttkicker mentions, they will monitor the supply into the house for a set period. If a fault is discovered on the network side, ESB Networks will advise the customer of what steps will be taken to rectify the situation.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Hi Tommy21,

This type of situation is dealt with by ESB Networks. They take care of the maintenance and repair of the Electricity Network. As Nuttkicker mentions, they will monitor the supply into the house for a set period. If a fault is discovered on the network side, ESB Networks will advise the customer of what steps will be taken to rectify the situation.

Many thanks
    Chris

I get you Chris, I meant in terms of his damaged electrical good, but presumably ESB Networks can only answer that? Just something that struck me is all as to what might happen if it happened to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

NuttKicker wrote: »
    cheers i rang them this morning they will sent someone out and moniter the line for 10 days then send a report. Thanks

So how is it going with the voltage monitor?

Advertisement