Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA - You and your training

• 08-02-2011 7:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey guys, Starting to Go into full time training (Or as much as I can anyway)

Currently from a martial arts sessions I'm Doing

Monday- Kickboxing 2h
    Tuesday- Boxing 1 h
    Wednesday- Karate & Brazilian Jujitsu 2h
    Thursday- Kickboxing 2h
    Friday- Brazilian Jujitsu 1h
    Sat- Open mat training & Karate Tournament training 4h
    Sunday - Free Day

I can also Do a class Saturday mourning but it's more of a Tournament style training, great for Speed and movement. And there is a strength and conditioning class which looks deadly! but ill wait a few weeks till I get into it.

Just wondering To Amateur guys training in MMA What there training is like I'm not really competing but intrested in the training.

and im wondering if this is too much? too little or what :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Where do you train? Is it a Karate dojo?

What does training full-time actually mean too? Just that you train most days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Good question.
    To be saying your training full time id say you need to be putting in 3 2h sessions a day nearly(Not all are going to be intense sessions obviously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Kerikosan wrote: »
    Currently from a martial arts sessions I'm Doing

Monday- Kickboxing 2h
    Tuesday- Boxing 1 h
    Wednesday- Karate & Brazilian Jujitsu 2h
    Thursday- Kickboxing 2h
    Sat- Open mat training & Karate Tournament training 4h
    Sunday - Free Day

When are you going to add the MMA training?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Where do you train? Is it a Karate dojo?

I train in K2C Martial arts and Fitness Center, in Blackpool co.cork its not a karate dojo, there is Karate classes held there from my original club (The complex is also owned and ran by that family) but it is a Proper martial arts Facility.

""Good question.
    To be saying your training full time id say you need to be putting in 3 2h sessions a day nearly(Not all are going to be intense sessions obviously)""

Yeah I guess saying "Full Time" is an over statement, I Training as often as I can 6 days a week 6 medium to high intensity sessions. + Open Mat Training.

""When are you going to add the MMA training?.""

Em :confused: Do I have to do a session/class called "MMA" to be training in MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

I always percieved Mixed martial arts (MMA), As a full contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills, from a mixture of other combat sports, to be used in competitions. The rules allow the use of both striking as well as grappling techniques, both while standing and while on the ground. Such competitions allow fighters of different backgrounds to compete.

I don't see why I can't just learn multiple Martial arts and take them into my Fighting/style as many MMA fighters Do.

Such as learning BJJ for Grappling and submissions & ground work (Ne waza) Karate for foot work and speed, Kickboxing for fitness, flexibility
    and Working on Kicking technique and power, Boxing for punching technique, Evasion, Fitness and power also.

I would also be doing Judo but the instructors are from macroom (Seamus Manning & Shane Manning)
    Great instructors! Shame I dont drive :(

But I do see how the styles are not interlinked in my current training, maybe Ina month or so I'll take up a class or search for a suitable camp etc. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Em :confused: Do I have to do a session/class called "MMA" to be training in MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

I don't think Makikomi meant you should be taking MMA classes but rather when do you plan on adding to your training. It seems your schedule is pretty full already.
    I always percieved Mixed martial arts (MMA), As a full contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills, from a mixture of other combat sports, to be used in competitions. The rules allow the use of both striking as well as grappling techniques, both while standing and while on the ground. Such competitions allow fighters of different backgrounds to compete.
    Do you perceive that or does wikipedia perceive that? ;)
    I don't see why I can't just learn multiple Martial arts and take them into my Fighting/style as many MMA fighters Do.

Such as learning BJJ for Grappling and submissions & ground work (Ne waza) Karate for foot work and speed, Kickboxing for fitness, flexibility
    and Working on Kicking technique and power, Boxing for punching technique, Evasion, Fitness and power also.

That's all well and good in theory but how do you gel them all together? When do you practice each discipline in an MMA context? For example, you train alot of stand up but how much of that focuses on using boxing/kickboxing to engage the clinch or shoot? I'm assuming your BJJ doesn't incorporate GnP so when do you learn that? When do you practice clinch control, strikes and takedowns?

Your schedule is very full and it doesn't seem like you have much time to add to it unless you've got alot of spare time. Make sure you're doing alot of sparring. You never mentioned if you spar regularly or not. Classes are great to learn techniques, increase power and speed but you would want to be sparring too to really get your timing and techniques down.

Best of luck with the training.

• Advertisement

Thanks shazbot,

The only time I get to gel them together is on open mat sessions with my
    sparring partners. We do allot of sparring practice in allot of the sessions and Free rolling in BJJ. G&P I practice on a downed punch bag :D
    Clinch control (under hooks etc) I practice with my buddies on open mat sessions, who learn from a MMA coach who teaches the CIT MMA Club, Justin Robbins

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Justin-Robbins-14627

who's style is wrestling and grappling dominant so I get some good training from that. (should really make some time to train in the club again) striking is no problem again with all the stand up sparring I do and from karate and take downs,
    I have good experience from Judo sessions and from karate (takedowns, ashi burrais and throws.

I dont have any problems with footwork or timing at the moment, strikes are landing good accuracy & defense from my karate training.

Still im not perfect so ill take everything into consideration and maybe free up a class or to and maybe fit in sambo or a mma style session thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

There's a lot more to ground and pound than can be learnt by hitting a bag, MMA itself has to be learnt because there is so much that meshes the styles together. If I were you I would drop the karate and kickboxing to take up Muay Thai and MMA at CIT if you can, then we're talking! But as you get better I'm sure you will be able to assess your own training and see what you're lacking etc. At the end of the day, if you're not serious about competing then it is whatever you enjoy the most!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think this is a pretty bad attitude to have when people are trying to give advice.
    It should be obvious to anyone, even casual observers of the sport that all the skils should be combined in a training pracitise environment.

You listed;
    BJJ for Grappling and submissions & ground work (Ne waza) Karate for foot work and speed, Kickboxing for fitness, flexibility
    BJJ is fine for groundwork.

But doing Karate, Kickboxing and boxing is not just overkill, its silly. There is really no need for 3 strike disiplines. Obviously, being expert in all would be great but that's not what will happen. You'd be better off doing 3 class of one striking disipline, then you'd at least reach a high level in that one quicker, rather than being an novice in 3 kinds.

Regarding an MMA class. Are you seriosuly suggesting that its a good idea to isolate all your training into each disipline and just hope that they all come together in the cage on the day of the fight.

Also, I wouldn't rely on martial arts training for fitness and power. Having dedicated strength and conditioning session would be far more advantagous.

I'd suggest dropping some striking and include some S&C work.

Monday- Kickboxing 2h
    Tuesday- Strength and conditioning
    Wednesday- Brazilian Jujitsu 2h
    Thursday- Kickboxing 2h
    Sat- MMA session
    Sunday - Free Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Mellor wrote: »
    people are trying to give advice.

what's your background mellor? just so we know what context your advice is given.

what's your background mellor? just so we know what context your advice is given.

Good question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Im not even able to start my training yet so in no way able to give advice.
    I just wanted to say fair play to you for going for it.
    As someone who hasnt been able to start for various annoying reasons i am well impressed you are getting in 6 days a week training and would consider that pretty close to full time.Since you mention as much as you can anyway.
    That seems like alot for someone not considering competing.
    But if we want to be pedantic we could say thats not full time for an actual competitor and thats probably true.
    I reckon if your not, then now is the best time to pick your favourite areas of these sports/arts and focus on 2 or 3 and the mma day sounds like a great idea for sparring to put it into practise.
    All the best with your training and i am envious of you for being able to start your training lol.
    I have had several annoying leg issues that is frustrating me no end, so like i said fair play and best of luck.

Oh and as a layman in relation to mma my own limited opinion is that kickboxing and BJJ might be a good all round start if only picking two of them.
    I would also want to add wrestling on one day too aswell though and am hoping to do so at some stage.
    It seems to me wrestling is a great way to get basic theory on the importance of position in a practical way.
    BBJ im sure is too but i think thats mostly more usefull for ground defence/submissions from what ive seen so far.
    To sum up, my favourites might be kickboxing/BJJ/wrestling as usefull ones to learn to compete.
    Im open to criticism too! The more info the better i say.

I don't have a background in any. Not unless you count Karate yers ago that I gave up to focus on other sport.

I'm guessing that there is something that you (or Makikomi) don't agree with.
    Which part is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

didn't disagree with anything, didn't read past the first line.

I think this is a pretty bad attitude to have when people are trying to give advice.
    It should be obvious to anyone, even casual observers of the sport that all the skils should be combined in a training practice environment.

You listed;

BJJ is fine for groundwork.

But doing Karate, Kickboxing and boxing is not just overkill, its silly. There is really no need for 3 strike disiplines. Obviously, being expert in all would be great but that's not what will happen. You'd be better off doing 3 class of one striking disipline, then you'd at least reach a high level in that one quicker, rather than being an novice in 3 kinds.

Regarding an MMA class. Are you seriosuly suggesting that its a good idea to isolate all your training into each disipline and just hope that they all come together in the cage on the day of the fight.

Also, I wouldn't rely on martial arts training for fitness and power. Having dedicated strength and conditioning session would be far more advantagous.

I'd suggest dropping some striking and include some S&C work.

Monday- Kickboxing 2h
    Tuesday- Strength and conditioning
    Wednesday- Brazilian Jujitsu 2h
    Thursday- Kickboxing 2h
    Sat- MMA session
    Sunday - Free Day

Sorry I didn't mean to have a bad attitude I was just confused Apologies, :)

For the three striking arts I've been doing Shotokan karate for 7 years currently a 1st Dan Black belt although I haven't graded since 2006 and am A former Traditional Karate Kumite world champion :D so I wouldn't be a novice.

I wouldn't consider doing the three striking arts as silly I find in my kickboxing class im gaining footwork, defense, Kicking power (Full contact) as well as gaining strength and flexibility. and in boxing i'm definitely gaining experience in punching power, speed and gaining more and more ability to take hits at full contact. So I see it as kinda toughing me up :D

I will be doing the strength and conditioning class Ina few weeks and be adding it to my game the one our instructor holds though is VERY tough though people have even gotten sick. so i know im not at the fitness level yet to even consider it. but its on the cards. :)

I will be looking for a mma camp or place which does mma sessions although at the moment where I train they dont but I'll be looking around and finding a suitable training facility.

Torakx wrote: »
    I'm not even able to start my training yet so in no way able to give advice.
    I just wanted to say fair play to you for going for it.
    As someone who hasn't been able to start for various annoying reasons i am well impressed you are getting in 6 days a week training and would consider that pretty close to full time.Since you mention as much as you can anyway.
    That seems like alot for someone not considering competing.
    But if we want to be pedantic we could say thats not full time for an actual competitor and thats probably true.
    I reckon if your not, then now is the best time to pick your favourite areas of these sports/arts and focus on 2 or 3 and the mma day sounds like a great idea for sparring to put it into practise.
    All the best with your training and i am envious of you for being able to start your training lol.
    I have had several annoying leg issues that is frustrating me no end, so like i said fair play and best of luck.

Oh and as a layman in relation to mma my own limited opinion is that kickboxing and BJJ might be a good all round start if only picking two of them.
    I would also want to add wrestling on one day too aswell though and am hoping to do so at some stage.
    It seems to me wrestling is a great way to get basic theory on the importance of position in a practical way.
    BBJ im sure is too but i think thats mostly more usefull for ground defence/submissions from what ive seen so far.
    To sum up, my favourites might be kickboxing/BJJ/wrestling as usefull ones to learn to compete.
    Im open to criticism too! The more info the better i say.

Thanks mate :)

that sucks about you leg issues :(

I myself had a serious judo injury - Shoulder popped out, colar bone dislocated 2 1/2 inches permanent injury! and the muscles on my shoulder blade were messed up. Hospital & over 1 year off training doing physio and rebuilding my arm :rolleyes:

but i'm 100% now :cool:

I think wrestling would be a great Idea, my training schedule is still being decided by myself and I'll see where my training goes.

Fair enough.
    Bit strange that you didn't read it is all.
    So
    For the three striking arts I've been doing Shotokan karate for 7 years currently a 1st Dan Black belt although I haven't graded since 2006 and am A former Traditional Karate Kumite world champion :D so I wouldn't be a novice.
    TBH, that wasn't immediatly clear from your OP. With a high level in one, it would be easier to include others imo.
    I will be doing the strength and conditioning class Ina few weeks and be adding it to my game the one our instructor holds though is VERY tough though people have even gotten sick.

Standard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

:rolleyes:

I don't have a background in any. Not unless you count Karate yers ago that I gave up to focus on other sport.

I'm guessing that there is something that you (or Makikomi) don't agree with.
    Which part is it?

Stop being so defensive, given that your relatively new around here and we don't know if you have a background in MMA or any M.A. background for that matter Sid asked a valid question.

So you done a bit of Karate years ago, cool.

So is that it?.

Like your not drawing on any personal experience are you?.

Btw unlike Sid I read the whole of your post, however as I don't coach MMA athletes I'm not qualified to say if your advice is good or not.

New around here?? Really?
    Wouldn't have thought so but irrelevant.

I have no problem with the question, and i'm also aware that having previous experience it would add a certain weight to the advice. But some of it was very general, like including a S&C program. Pretty standard for most sports tbh.
    Btw unlike Sid I read the whole of your post, however as I don't coach MMA athletes I'm not qualified to say if your advice is good or not.
    tbh, i'd be interested in your opinion (on my post above and on training in general) anyway from a MA point of view

Advertisement