Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can he declare for scotland??

• 08-02-2011 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

can james mccarthy still play for scotland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

yep....he only played in a friendly for us so stil eligible for the scots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

As he is yet to play a competitive match, I think he can still play for Scotland. I'm not sure why he would want to play for them unless there has been some type of offer from the SFA(which they are denying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

i have a sneaky feeling that martinez is advising him to miss the friendlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

how more reliable is a source saying he wants to play for Ireland than a source saying he wants to play for scotland. I personally dont believe that he would switch, but until we hear it straight from the player it is just guessing. What it has shown is that after 2 years that Trap's communication skills still leave alot to be desired....Manuela Spinelli needs to be given the boot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

tbf if I was him and I was seeing the likes of Paul Green getting a game ahead of me I'd rather declare for Scotland too.

LowOdour wrote: »
    how more reliable is a source saying he wants to play for Ireland than a source saying he wants to play for scotland. I personally dont believe that he would switch, but until we hear it straight from the player it is just guessing. What it has shown is that after 2 years that Trap's communication skills still leave alot to be desired....Manuela Spinelli needs to be given the boot!

She can take Trap with her.

She can take Trap with her.

and we should bring back staunton too:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Agreed LowOdour.Communication from Trap is an ongoing problem.Dunno about sacking Manuela but Irish players and fans deserve better from the team management including th FAI management

and we should bring back staunton too:rolleyes:

..whatever floats your boat.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Trap says Martinez called him and was very clear that he is worred about Wigans position in the league and that McCarthy was very important to them and would appreciate if he could be withdrawn from the squad... seems understandable enough.

The two Caldwell brothers are at Wigan though so I wouldn't be surprised if they were in his ear about playing for Scotland. If Richard Dunne can help persuade Clark to declare for us, the Caldwells can do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭baldbear

Didn't McCArthy receive alot of sectarian abuse when he was playing in Scotland? The Scots are trying to get him back in the team is the word.

Trappatoni's communication skills are pretty poor anyway so he's not the man to keep players happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

wynters wrote: »
    Trap says Martinez called him and was very clear that he is worred about Wigans position in the league and that McCarthy was very important to them and would appreciate if he could be withdrawn from the squad... seems understandable enough.

The two Caldwell brothers are at Wigan though so I wouldn't be surprised if they were in his ear about playing for Scotland. If Richard Dunne can help persuade Clark to declare for us, the Caldwells can do the same.

The thought of playing international football beside Gary Caldwell should be enough to persuade him to stay with Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Think its a joke he hasnt gotten a game in a competitive match for us anyway, even as a feckin sub so that he cant decide to play for Scotland and he is available to whoever comes in after Trap goes.......Wouldnt blame him if he got offered the chance to play and decided to declare for Scotland, as has been mentioned, Paul Greene is getting in the team ahead of him. its a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The lad seems to be under alot of pressure from the scottish media to declare for them..........but i think the whole international declaration thing is a bit of a mockerey. It needs to be looked at!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

There was a mention in the Guardian today that there are fears he will declare for Scotland. Seriously Trap needs to get this lad capped asap:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

For what its worth (Preparing to be torn apart:o )

i thought Houghton was talking sense on the subject tonight on RTE..

I dont think any of the blame for this situation lies with trap.. Mccarthy has been called up 3 times and opted to stay away twice.

I dont think anyone fully agrees with team selection, however...Granted it takes a long time but any player who really deserved it haS been called up by trap.. mccarthy likewise. some people just seem to want to jump on any chance to crucify the manager.

I dunno what people want, should we have just guarenteed him a start in every qualifier since he came on the scene at hamilton... maybe give in to that numpty jamie o haras demands while we were at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Nuigforce wrote: »
    For what its worth (Preparing to be torn apart:o )

i thought Houghton was talking sense on the subject tonight on RTE..

I dont think any of the blame for this situation lies with trap.. Mccarthy has been called up 3 times and opted to stay away twice.

I dont think anyone fully agrees with team selection, however...Granted it takes a long time but any player who really deserved it haS been called up by trap.. mccarthy likewise. some people just seem to want to jump on any chance to crucify the manager.

I dunno what people want, should we have just guarenteed him a start in every qualifier since he came on the scene at hamilton... maybe give in to that numpty jamie o haras demands while we were at it?
    He better fcuking include him in the Macedonia squad, even if he does only give him five minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Daily Record
    IRELAND star James McCarthy was last night at the centre of a major international incident.

The Wigan midfielder opted to play for the Republic rather than Scotland but he asked to be left out of Giovanni Trapattoni's squad for Tuesday's Carling Nations Cup tie against Wales.

The Italian wants McCarthy to pledge his allegiance, especially now it is being suggested the former Hamilton player might be having second thoughts.

The 20-year-old has played for the Irish but not in a competitive match and Trap said: "McCarthy must choose. He plays for Ireland or he plays for Scotland. "I spoke to Roberto Martinez and he said the player had asked to be left out of our of squad."

It is unclear why he asked to be left behind but Scotland manager Craig Levein would only say: "What I can tell you is my policy has not changed.

"I will search high and low to find players who can enhance the squad."

lol@ "Major international incident" hyperbole at its best.

It's certainly a big coup for Scotland if they can get him playing for them though, cracking player who is improving all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/9393158.stm

McCarthy 'needs time to decide international future'
    Wigan manager Roberto Martinez says midfielder James McCarthy faces a "very, very deep" decision to make over his international future.

I'd like to know whats driving this self doubt over his future because if its because of Trappatoni and his man management skills, i'd want him sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Dempsey wrote: »
    I'd like to know whats driving this self doubt over his future because if its because of Trappatoni and his man management skills, i'd want him sacked.

Have to agree, he has already messed up with Ireland and Reid, those you might be able to understand, if he manages to lose McCarthy a lot of people will not be happy at all.

Just heard on the radio that Martinez says he was pulled out for treatment on his recent injury, if Trap has not tried to get in contact with McCarthy personally during all the talk the last couple days i would be very unhappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Frisbee wrote: »
    tbf if I was him and I was seeing the likes of Paul Green getting a game ahead of me I'd rather declare for Scotland too.

What do you mean ahead of him? He has to actually turn up before anyone can be picked ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

keane2097 wrote: »
    What do you mean ahead of him? He has to actually turn up before anyone can be picked ahead of him.

being called up would be a help in that then, wouldn't it. He should have been in squads last season, and was left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Would love to see Meyler get fit and have McCarthy beside him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Trapottoni says he might not even select McCarthy for the game against Macedonia (BBC).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

And now this in the Irish Times
    Thursday, February 10, 2011, 16:06
    Fresh doubt over McCarthy's Ireland future

Soccer : Fears over the international allegiance of midfielder James McCarthy grew this afternoon, with Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez suggesting the young Scot is in doubt over whether to continue playing for the Republic of Ireland.

McCarthy sat out Ireland's Carling Cup Nations victory over Wales on Tuesday, apparently at the behest of his club, but after a conversation with Martinez, Giovanni Trapattoni suggested the youngster withdrew himself.

Having only just recovered from a serious ankle injury, the decision might not have cause controversy had Trapattoni not appeared sceptical as to the motives of the call, while in the same pre-match press conference Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given questioned the desire of young players.

Regardless, Trapattoni insisted yesterday McCarthy was in his plans and likely to get a call for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia next month. “After that,” the Italian said pointedly, “it is up to him.”

Martinez, however, has cast serious doubt on whether that is a call the 20-year-old is ready to make and says he faces “a very, very deep” decision, despite declaring for Ireland some time ago. He could yet switch jerseys because his only appearance in green came last year in a non-competitive match against Brazil.

“I do not know if it is a decision for him to make now or not,” Martinez said this afternoon. “We need to give him plenty of time. We need to respect him.

“He wants to help Wigan. For me that is fantastic. It (international football) is something he needs to think about with his family, with his friends. It is something very, very deep. But I do not think he has focused on that at all, although it is great to have two nations fighting over you.

“James is probably the most mature 20-year-old in football. It is a compliment to him. I don’t think it is going to affect him. It is going to give him a more arrogant feeling if you want.”

Martinez insists he kept Trapattoni fully informed about McCarthy, who was withdrawn after he scored twice in the 4-3 victory against Blackburn, even if their accounts of the conversation differ slightly.

“It wasn’t the right time for him to go,” he said. “He could not have coped with the physical demands. That’s it really. I spoke with the Republic of Ireland staff to make sure they knew the programme James was on.

“When James got injured late in October he was so disappointed he just wanted to get back fully fit as quick as a he could. He told me then he needed to forget his international career and that was the conversation we had.

“If you look at his performance on Saturday, James McCarthy is going to be one of the top footballers in Europe. What a player to have for your country or club.”

Though he refused to be drawn on it this week, Scotland manager Craig Levein is certain to be encouraged by the noises coming out of Wigan, renewed with hope that one of the game’s hottest properties could be back on the international market.

As an Irish fan I am genuinely worried we are about to lose another great talent. And also not too happy with Trapattoni atm with regards to how he is treating the players. We need players like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Maybe he's waiting to see who wins the nations cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Trap did say that if he's fit McCarthy will be selected for the Macedonia match. Scotland don't have a competitive fixture until September and no friendly lined up until May against Wales and ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

darkman2 wrote: »
    Trapottoni says he might not even select McCarthy for the game against Macedonia (BBC).

We NEED McCarthy, he's the most promising young talent we've had since Robbie Keane. Really wish Trap had selected him for the Armenia squad and brought him on even for 10 seconds, then there would be none of this B.S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

If McCarthy defects I'm going to suicide bomb the FAI headquarters.*

*Joke - In case the Feds have some sort of internet filtering system for these kind of statements.

I will be a very, very, angry man, however.

We had 4 years to play him! Four fcuking years! Unbelievable Jeff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Everybody here is jumping up and down saying that this guy should be capped at all costs and as soon as possible, rushing him in before Scotland's next game etc.

Personally I do not think that that is a good approach.

The guy decided at the age of 15 that he would play for Ireland.

It was a very big decision and 15 is a very young age to be making a decision of that nature.

He is 20 now and there is a huge maturity gap between a 15 year old and a 20 year old.

Maybe he would prefer to play for Scotland.

If he is rushed into being capped then he could regret the decision and then we would have another Stephen Ireland on our hands.

If he has doubts he has to come clean and tell both ROI and Scotland that he is unavailable until he makes up his mind.

Then he should go away and have a good think about it and make up his mind and let everone know and let everyone move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

MOG7 wrote: »
    Have to agree, he has already messed up with Ireland and Reid, those you might be able to understand, if he manages to lose McCarthy a lot of people will not be happy at all.

Reid isn't the talent some people make him out to be. Ireland doesn't want to play for the national team. Let it go!

I think it is unfortunate that Trap's excessive caution may have lost us a player with a promising future. I would find it hard to believe that there wasn't a role for him in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

darkman2 wrote: »

Link???

Because McCarthy was originally selected for the U21 squad. Ergo Paul Greene was selected for the senior squad ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crispsandwiches

Trap should have got him on the pitch in green b4 than muppet green. McCarthy declared because he grandad convined him. Yeah big scottish influence at wigan. His team mate from McArthur from hamilton is now at Wigan and he scored in what was his 1st 90mins in a senior gameon wed.So he could be a big influence on young james.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

the problem I see is Trap seems to have no man management skills or just doesn't give a ****.If we lose McCarthy it is a huge blow,he is going to be a top player,ffs he is one of our only midfielders getting a game in the EPL.A midfield of Meyler and McCarthy has huge potential,they could be a partnership for 10years.

yabadabado wrote: »
    the problem I see is Trap seems to have no man management skills or just doesn't give a ****.If we lose McCarthy it is a huge blow,he is going to be a top player,ffs he is one of our only midfielders getting a game in the EPL.A midfield of Meyler and McCarthy has huge potential,they could be a partnership for 10years.

When I think of Meyler I get that sinking feeling he is going to be a crock:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

He made a decision when he was a kid and shouldnt really be held to it. Its tough for us but if his heart isnt in it he shouldnt be forced to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Martinez was talking about this again today after the pool game. He will make a decision at the end of the season. Very worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

With this Mccarthy thing, I have a different read on it then other posters here. I'm not sure he is undecided to play for Scotland or Ireland, I think he may be undecided between Ireland and "retiring".
    He declared for Ireland when he was 15 because he was messed around by Archie Knox in the scottish setup not because he felt Irish. I feel this point has being unmade. Ireland were there to cap him internationally at youth level and thus giving him a higher profile and status. Now that he is an footballer of some repute and potential does he need ireland? Does he feel Irish? Does he care? Hes pulled out of the training camp last summer because he was tired. I'm sorry but this always translates as "not arsed" to me.
    If you didn't feel Irish would you really want to bother if your already on your way to playing for one of the top clubs without need for the exporsure international football brings. Does he want to play with Sean St ledger, Liam Lawrence and Glenn Whelan or would he rather play with really good players at club level and concentrate on that.
    Some lads just don't care about international football.
    Reading between the lines of what Trap and Martinez have said I think this could be the case.
    His dad wants him to play for Ireland so lets hope he listens to him but the same was true with Stephen Ireland and that didn't work out although hopefully McC isn't a headcase like daddy dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dots1982 wrote: »
    With this Mccarthy thing, I have a different read on it then other posters here. I'm not sure he is undecided to play for Scotland or Ireland, I think he may be undecided between Ireland and "retiring".
    He declared for Ireland when he was 15 because he was messed around by Archie Knox in the scottish setup not because he felt Irish. I feel this point has being unmade. Ireland were there to cap him internationally at youth level and thus giving him a higher profile and status. Now that he is an footballer of some repute and potential does he need ireland? Does he feel Irish? Does he care? Hes pulled out of the training camp last summer because he was tired. I'm sorry but this always translates as "not arsed" to me.
    If you didn't feel Irish would you really want to bother if your already on your way to playing for one of the top clubs without need for the exporsure international football brings. Does he want to play with Sean St ledger, Liam Lawrence and Glenn Whelan or would he rather play with really good players at club level and concentrate on that.
    Some lads just don't care about international football.
    Reading between the lines of what Trap and Martinez have said I think this could be the case.
    His dad wants him to play for Ireland so lets hope he listens to him but the same was true with Stephen Ireland and that didn't work out although hopefully McC isn't a headcase like daddy dick.

Very true.

Who knows who was influencing him at the age of 15 to declare for Ireland over Scotland, and who on this board is to say how Irish the guy feels just cos he has Irish grandparents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

People citing his decision to play for Ireland at 15 don't seem to be making any reference to the fact that he lined out for us v Brazil at a much more mature 19 y/o. What's going on his mind there? Does he want to play for us even then or was it just a chance to have a kick-about with Kaka and co?

Personally I think he can fúck off if his heart isn't in it. At this point he shouldn't be missing friendlies as he isn't even an established player for us. He should have turned up those two times he was called unless there was something genuinely wrong with him.

This whole thing sounds like bad business. Personally, I'd rather have a donkey like Green flopping around the pitch whilst bursting a gut than have another show-boating unreliable luxury like Keane or Ireland causing trouble in the camp with their half-hearted attitude. Tho I'm sure all the 'win at any cost' fans on here will disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

bonerm wrote: »
    People citing his decision to play for Ireland at 15 don't seem to be making any reference to the fact that he lined out for us v Brazil at a much more mature 19 y/o. What's going on his mind there? Does he want to play for us even then or was it just a chance to have a kick-about with Kaka and co?

Personally I think he can fúck off if his heart isn't in it. At this point he shouldn't be missing friendlies as he isn't even an established player for us. He should have turned up those two times he was called unless there was something genuinely wrong with him.

This whole thing sounds like bad business. Personally, I'd rather have a donkey like Green flopping around the pitch whilst bursting a gut than have another show-boating unreliable luxury like Keane or Ireland causing trouble in the camp with their half-hearted attitude. Tho I'm sure all the 'win at any cost' fans on here will disagree.

To be honest both time he pulled out, he wanted to work hard to get his place in the Wigan team (look at how he's reaping the rewards of that now) and the second time, well i'm not really anyone is sure of how that developed, there's conflicting stories. The press here really has us thinking every second player is some sort of troublemaker. A nation eats it's own and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/james-mccarthy-still-wants-to-play-for-ireland-says-father-2011-02/
    the Sunday Times Paul Rowan asked Willie McCarthy, father of the player, if there was any personal issue with Trap.

“That is rubbish,” he said. “Hopefully, Mr Trapattoni will pick James for Macedonia and he will play.

“I don’t understand where all this is coming from. James has made his mind up and he is not going to change it.”

I'd say if James McCarthy paid any attention to sites like this he'd think a lot of people were genuinely retarded.
    Visiting some of the Irish football forums and reading opinions on facebook, you could easily get the idea that Giovanni Trapattoni “has it in” for Wigan midfielder after his omission from this week’s senior Republic of Ireland squad, or that the 20 year old could well switch back to Scotland. Neither of these opinions are true, and based on direct quotes from both men, you can see why. We’ll see McCarthy in senior competitive action soon, rather than later.

JAMES McCARTHY ON…

His long-time ambition of playing for Ireland, 2007:
    “I have always wanted to play for Ireland and when the manager Sean McCaffrey picked me for these fixtures against Italy, I was delighted. I know that I’ll have to work very hard to get a spot in the team because they are a good side. I was born in Scotland but my mother’s family are from Donegal. My grandfather, Paddy Coyle, was a big influence on me before he died and it was my intention to represent Ireland if I was lucky enough to be selected. I was a Glasgow Celtic supporter as a kid and my grandfather used to tell about the history of Celtic and the Irish International team. I spent some time in Ireland with my relatives when I was younger and my aunts and uncles are coming along to the games during the week. My parents are coming over from Scotland, too. The lads have been very welcoming of me. I just want to come here and do as well as I can. I’m just a normal 16-year old who loves playing football. In my spare time, I like to play snooker and go bowling with my friends.”

His admiration of the other Irish players, 2007:
    “Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and Stephen Hunt were nice to me when I was down at Reading and were thrilled to hear I was in the Irish squad. I had a chat with Darren O’Dea and Aiden McGeady at Celtic and the staff at Liverpool were also brilliant to me. Robbie Keane is a player I admire, he’s very exciting to watch and scores plenty of goals for Ireland. I’m a midfielder who likes to get forward and support the strikers, so Roy Keane was the player I took most interest in when he was playing.”

Being overlooked by Scotland as a youth, 2007:
    “Scotland didn’t pick me. Scotland never came in for me last season and Ireland did so I went for them. I’m not that bothered. I’m just happy to be playing international football. You’ve got up to under-21s to change your mind but I don’t know what I will do. Nobody from Scotland has been in touch, although I think they have been to watch me. If they want to pick me, they pick me. It’s not up to me, is it?”

Not changing back, 2007:
    “It’s always the same when you get an interview here in Scotland. “They’re always asking so ‘what’s happening, are you going to change?’ and it’s at the stage now where I just say ‘we’ll see what happens’ to put them off and get them off my back. I won a Player of the Month Award but spent my entire time talking about that. But I’m happy where I’m at, with Ireland. The fuss can be annoying, but it doesn’t really bother me.”

Being called-up at under-21 level, 2008:
    “I’d just like to say a big thanks to all the Ireland fans who have been so supportive of me and the other lads coming through. It’s great to have made the under-21s, I can’t wait to play at that level for Ireland. I’m really looking forward to it. I’m very happy with the progress I’ve made so far for club and country. Hopefully Ireland fans will be seeing a lot more of me soon.”

Sticking with Ireland, 2008:
    “I won’t be changing my mind. “I’ve been part of the Republic set up for too long now and I’m proud to be part of it.”

Not having to decide, 2008:
    “I know people have been giving me stick and they’ll probably continue to do so but that’s not my problem. The fact is if Scotland had asked me to play first I would have said ‘yes’. They didn’t though, Ireland did and I don’t regret that decision for a minute. Even if Scotland had come in afterwards I would probably have had a major dilemma on my hands but it was never a decision I had to make. Fans can give me stick if they want but you can’t choose to play for a country if the option isn’t there.”

His grandfather’s alleged last wish, 2008:
    “I won’t be changing my mind. I’ve been part of the Republic set up for too long now and I’m proud to be part of it. I loved the experience with the Under-21s and it was brilliant to get my first cap. People think I chose to play for the Republic because my granda asked me to. It wasn’t his last wish, like some people think. He always said he would have loved to see me play for Ireland but that’s not the reason I made my decision. The chance came for an international cap and I decided to go for it because Scotland never asked me. There was never any indication they were going to either. I know I’m still young but I wanted international experience and it meant a lot for me to get it with Ireland.”

Being pulled out of the under-21 squad through injury, 2008:
    “I was supposed to be away with Ireland for a friendly but the gaffer has pulled me out because of a slight thigh strain. I don’t want to speak about the stories about Scotland because I haven’t spoken to the gaffer about it yet.”

Being embarrassed by changing countries, 2008:
    “I’m really flattered that Scotland were interested in me. It’s a huge compliment. The fact is I’d already made my decision. Ireland have been absolutely brilliant to me and my family and I couldn’t turn my back on them. I felt that if I had done that I would have embarrassed myself. All I want to do is play football – I don’t want to embarrass myself by chopping and changing countries.”

Yet more media speculation, 2010:
    “I don’t intend to drag this subject out again. There was some speculation about me changing my mind but I really don’t want to get caught up in all this again. Gary Caldwell has had a couple of words in my ear since he joined us from Celtic but I’ve made my choice to play for Ireland and I’ll be sticking with it.”

Making the senior squad for the Brazil friendly, 2010:
    “It’s absolutely unbelievable to meet all the players; all of them have been great as well. I’m absolutely delighted to be in – to get a call-up is an unbelievable achievement for my family and myself.”

Winning his first cap, 2010:
    “I was delighted just to get on the park and make my debut. That’s it put to bed now [the Scotland speculation] and from day one I wasn’t going to change anyway. I just need to keep working hard with my club and hopefully get more international recognition. I was a bit nervous about being the new boy in the squad but everyone made me welcome. They are a good bunch of lads and I am delighted to make my debut. It is brilliant to be honest to make your debut against top opposition like Brazil and the only disappointment was the result.”

Pulling out due to injury, 2010:
    “It would have been great to add to my senior caps but I was nursing a niggling back injury. It was going into a spasm and affecting my hamstrings. I spoke to my manager Roberto Martinez about it and he advised me to pull out of the Ireland matches in case I sustained any more damage.”

OFFICIAL FAI STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF JAMES McCARTHY, 8 October 2008

“Hamilton Academicals midfielder James McCarthy, 17, has decided to reaffirm his commitment to the Republic of Ireland national teams following significant media speculation recently.
    James is flattered by the genuine interest shown in him by Billy Stark and George Burley in recent weeks with a view to him being selected by Scotland.
    However, he is now in his third season with the Irish set up, having already represented them at Under-17, Under-18, Under-19 and Under-21 levels, despite still being a month short of his 18th birthday.
    James feels he would be letting too many people down by switching from the Irish at this stage. He is content to end the speculation and now just wishes to concentrate on his club commitments with Accies in the SPL where he is thoroughly enjoying the involvement and demands upon him there.
    Hamilton Academicals are delighted to see our young players gain international recognition with Scotland, having had three players capped at various levels already this season, but would also firmly and fully back young James on this particular occasion.
    The club are quite happy to support what has been James decision. Hamilton manager Billy Reid is delighted with the player’s progress at the club, which has been tremendous considering his young age and feels that the player is fully deserving of the various club and international interest in him.”

GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI ON…

Calling up McCarthy, 2008:
    “I think he will play for Ireland, and we will look in future to choose him. I know that he thinks about it, and that he has two possibilities – Scotland and Ireland – but I think he will choose Ireland. I think we will have a possibility to look at him. I think we will choose him, and I am always positive.”

McCarthy’s versatility, 2010:
    “McCarthy can play right, left. I saw him two or three times. I’d like to ask him which position he likes. He can play behind the striker, sometimes left, sometimes right — we need to look at his quality and personality. Sure he has talent — like Rivera, Mazzola, they became very great with experience. They had good quality. It’s important when this personality develops. He’s fast and confident on the ball. He could be important for us.”

Selecting him against Norway, 2010:
    “We looked at McCarthy against Brazil and continue to keep an eye on him. We called him into the squad for the games against Paraguay and Algeria but he phoned and said he was tired and wanted a rest. Another opportunity will come for him, possibly against Norway in November. I want to see him in a friendly. Norway are a strong team and a game like that will build his mentality. So we will try things against Norway and maybe try McCarthy.”

Trying out McCarthy, 2010:
    “Obviously, we look for other players. McCarthy, we look at him and not only him. Maybe one or two others. McCarthy plays for his club. On the bench we have players who are not playing for their clubs. It is also another chance for (Keith) Fahey.”

Changing the system to suit McCarthy, 2010:
    “I’m not afraid to change the system. It depends on the players with you. Now, we have McCarthy, and I think he could play behind the striker, like Stephen Ireland could. When I managed Inter Milan, we played this formation. You need time and you need players for this system.”

Not calling McCarthy up for the Wales match, 2011:
    “It’s too tight. He only just returned from injury the other day. McCarthy is important. We need players in this position, who can play the No 10 or maybe behind. He was only on the bench on Saturday. Maybe he play reserve games. We also have other solutions, like Fahey, but we will continue to follow him.”

MARCO TARDELLI ON…

New Irish players, 2010:
    “We have many new names, Cunningham, Coleman and McCarthy. We need those players to go forward. I think we needed to find the new Irish players, maybe McCarthy, maybe Cunningham, Treacy is a very good player. I don’t think [he'll change back to Scotland], he plays with the U-21s, I don’t know why some papers say this.”

LIAM BRADY ON…

Watching McCarthy at Wigan, 2009:
    “We’ll have to watch and see how young McCarthy gets on at Wigan; see can he handle the Premiership. He’s a very good young player. I think Giovanni has shown that if someone demonstrates that they can do it, he’s not afraid of putting them in.”

NOEL KING ON…

Calling McCarthy up to the Under-21 squad, 2011:
    “I spoke to James and he is very happy to come to Cyprus and play for us if he’s fit and able. Him not being in the senior squad wasn’t even mentioned, he is keen to play for Ireland and that’s not in doubt.”

WILLIE McKAY, McCARTHY’S AGENT ON…

Media speculation, 2010:
    “He is an Ireland player and that’s who he wants to play for. It’s all rubbish. He wants to play in the first-team for Ireland and so do all his family.”

BILLY REID, HAMILTON MANAGER ON…

Fear of international burn-out, 2008:
    “He has had to cope with the demands of playing three times a week in the SPL and that’s a big enough ask without throwing full international football into the reckoning. I’ve been lucky with the Irish FA because every time I’ve felt James needed a break they’ve been accommodating with the Under 19 and Under 21 squads. But to go and ask them to go easy on him in full internationals is a different story. They wouldn’t allow it and neither would James want it. It’s very hard to preserve his talents. He was shattered after back-to-back games against Rangers so I put him on the bench for the Motherwell game. He came on and was the best player on the park. He’s too good to leave out so I’m pleased he doesn’t have added pressure of playing for Ireland.”

CRAIG LEVEIN, SCOTLAND MANAGER ON…

Trying to change McCarthy’s mind, 2010:
    “I had a brief chat with James but I didn’t get any encouragement there at all. As far as I am concerned, the door is closed on that one.”

Re-opening that door, 2010:
    “You have to remember that our job is to select the best players available,” he said. “It’s not to decide who is available. Every player who is eligible to play for Scotland is on the radar. I had a conversation with James going back to when I got the job and he indicated he wanted to play for Ireland. I don’t close the door on anything. We’re not in a position where we have enough quality players to say, ‘sorry, we don’t want anyone’. Again, when it comes around to it, the situation is as Nigel alluded to and Giovanni said: players will play for who they want to play for. Once they get over 21 years of age or are capped in a competitive match, that’s them aligned to that country. But up until that point, the opportunity is there to change from one to another. We’re not closing any doors to anybody so we’ll wait and see.”

ROSS MATHIE, SCOTTISH UNDERAGE MANAGER ON…

McCarthy choosing to play for Ireland, 2007:
    “We have watched the player on numerous occasions by Archie Knox , members of the Youth International Youth Teams backroom staff and myself. He recently was involved in an Under 18 tournament with the Republic as well as being a member of their Under 17 Squad last season. It was indicated very early on that he wanted to play for the Republic because of his Grandfathers dying wish.That is something that we have to respect.”

TERRY BUTCHER, SCOTTISH ASSISTANT MANAGER ON…

Poaching McCarthy, 2008:
    “Scotland are interested in taking on board any quality player and he certainly is a quality player. He’s had a great season so far and a great career so far, albeit a short one. We are looking at players who are probably more of a senior level, players like Kris Commons and James Morrison, who are established. But, if you can get ahead of the game and get players on board at an early stage, I’m all for that. Aiden McGeady was one that was missed before but hopefully McCarthy won’t be. It’s down to the player at the end of the day, he has the ultimate choice. It’s nice when you have a lot of countries chasing you but hopefully he will turn out for Scotland and hopefully that will mean being part of a squad who is playing well, winning matches, and qualifying for tournaments.”

ARCHIE KNOX, SCOTTISH YOUTH COACH ON…

Watching McCarthy as a teenager, 2008:
    “To suggest I was asked to watch McCarthy and deemed him not good enough is nonsense. The laddie and Billy Reid did articles in the paper saying Scotland hadn’t shown interest in him and he was going to Ireland. That’s his right. Ross Mathie, who was in charge of the Scotland Under-16s and 17s at the time, decided the boys in his team were as good as McCarthy. That’s fair enough. But after they did the articles I went to see Billy and told him it was wrong to say we hadn’t shown an interest. I urged Billy to tell the boy not to put all his eggs in one basket. We were happy for him to go and look at the Republic’s set-up but we never closed the door for him or felt he wasn’t good enough. He burst on to the scene for Hamilton but Ross decided to stick with the squad he had. No one at the SFA closed the door and maybe if James had been more patient he’d have got his chance with Scotland.”

RONNIE MacDONALD, HAMILTON CHAIRMAN ON…

The FAI’s knowledge of Irish Scots, 2009:
    “Anybody who can go to McCarthy and say we don’t want you – and that’s what happened – really can’t complain when he chooses to play for the Republic of Ireland. I think James will end up in the Premiership. I don’t think he’ll stay in Scotland. The way he handles the stick he gets is unbelievable but the boy would have played for Scotland if he’d been asked early enough. The Irish really know how to get these kids – and we have another two at Under-15 level who have been taken into the Irish set-up even though they were born in Scotland. I bet you the Irish FA know the grandparentage of every kid playing with every team in Scotland. They do their homework. Why wasn’t anyone from Scotland speaking to James and his parents when he was 15? It was obvious he had talent. The Irish? They capped him at Under-16 level and they gave 48 members of his family tickets for his first game. They showed him they cared about him. Scotland didn’t so the boy went there. But it isn’t the same as with Aiden McGeady or Ray Houghton who wanted to play for Ireland from an early age because of family ties. James would have played for Scotland, believe me. But by the time Scotland decided they wanted him, James had decided to stay with the people who had made him feel welcome from an early age.”

ROBERTO MARTINEZ, WIGAN MANAGER, ON…

Advising McCarthy to ignore the media, 2010:
    “I spoke to James and told him he should not listen to anybody. You need to listen to your feeling about where you want to be playing. I know that in Scotland they made a huge meal out of it and they let him know how they felt and probably that could make a bearing on his decision. It is important for any player as representing your country is probably where you are going to be achieving your biggest memories of your career going into World Cups or European Championships. But I have said to James he needs to make his own decision. The moment you allow people to influence your decision, you are going to make a wrong decision. He is playing for the Under-21s for Republic of Ireland and he has a clear idea of that at the moment. He has played in Scotland for many years, so he understands the football feeling around that country, so I am sure James will come up with the right decision. I think he should not listen to anyone; maybe his mum and maybe his environment. But I know that in Scotland they made a huge meal out of it and they let him know how they felt when he chose Republic of Ireland and probably that could make a bearing on his decision. But James is a very mature boy. He is an impressive character and, if he listens to his feeling, he will make the right decision.”

ALLY ROSS, JOURNALIST, SCOTTISH SUN ON…

McCarthy and McGeady, 2008:
    “His only advice came from fellow turncoat Aiden McGeady, who, through no desire to have the heat taken off him, I’m sure – encouraged the move. Hell mend them both, because the fact is playing careers are very short. Once that is over, and assuming he doesn’t go to live in Ireland (these football converts never do) he will be a stranger in his own land. His world has just shrunk. And not just in terms of the millions of Scotland fans who will no longer smile in his direction. Commercially he’s a bad lot”.

http://greenscene.me/2011/01/trapattoni-and-mccarthy-in-quotes/

The only one that seems to be spouting the rubbish is Roberto Martinez

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/james-mccarthy-still-wants-to-play-for-ireland-says-father-2011-02/

I'd say if James McCarthy paid any attention to sites like this he'd think a lot of people were genuinely retarded.

http://greenscene.me/2011/01/trapattoni-and-mccarthy-in-quotes/

ally ross RaAhBBk4Tjkl01c4M5sZhRioo1_500.png

Advertisement