Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Slashing Steward Numbers in Aviva...

• 08-02-2011 9:38am
    Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭

It goes to show the dire financial straits the FAI are in that they're willing to drastically cut the number of safety stewards for home internationals in the Aviva Stadium.

I know stewards myself who will be working tonight but due to the cuts, those working tonight will not be there tomorrow night.

Numbers remain the same for IRFU matches thankfully...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I know stewards myself whowill be working tonight but due to the cuts, those working tonight will not be there tomorrow night.
    Sure there's no match on tomorrow night. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Of course there are going to be reduced stewards tomorrow night. Theres only gonna be 10,000 or so there. Tonights game will have around 25,000. There were too many stewards anyway and you will struggle to get sympathy because a lot of them act like the S.S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Sure there's no match on tomorrow night. :pac:

Nothing worse when a smart comment bites you in the bum....

Northern Ireland Vs Scotland tomorrow night in Aviva :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

It goes to show the dire financial straits the FAI are in that they're willing to drastically cut the number of safety stewards for home internationals in the Aviva Stadium.

I know stewards myself who will be working tonight but due to the cuts, those working tonight will not be there tomorrow night.

Its not rocket science.

If you expect a full house, you have x amount of stewards.

If you expect the place to be half full, you have x/2

If you expect the place to be a quarter full, you have x/4

H&S and the Gardaí are the people who decide how many stewards you require. The FAI can't arbitrarily cut levels. But they can plan according to ticket demand.

Yet another pointless and innacurate cut at the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

home internationals??????:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Do stewards get paid? Remember doing it in the old Landsdowne and getting nothing :mad:

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Do stewards get paid? Remember doing it in the old Landsdowne and getting nothing :mad:

Why you do it then?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Why you do it then?:confused:

I was 16 and getting free into the match :D What do they get paid these days???

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

As in matches played at home...:D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Do stewards get paid?

Yep. They sure do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Yep. They sure do...

How much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They will need to recall them for May :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Its not rocket science.

If you expect a full house, you have x amount of stewards.

If you expect the place to be half full, you have x/2

If you expect the place to be a quarter full, you have x/4

H&S and the Gardaí are the people who decide how many stewards you require. The FAI can't arbitrarily cut levels. But they can plan according to ticket demand.

Not quite that simple.

Number of stewards needed wouldn't be directly relative to supporter numbers. Whether there are 10 or 1000 fans in a particular section, you still need a steward at certain areas/entrances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

kraggy wrote: »
    Not quite that simple.

Number of stewards needed wouldn't be directly relative to supporter numbers. Whether there are 10 or 1000 fans in a particular section, you still need a steward at certain areas/entrances.

And many of those turnstiles, like areas of the ground, will be closed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

So that explains why there were 2 cretins running around the pitch for about 5 minutes at the match this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

So that explains why there were 2 cretins running around the pitch for about 5 minutes at the match this evening.

I couldn't believe it took so long to get them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I think both the stewards were on their break

kraggy wrote: »
    Not quite that simple.

Of course, I was simplifying it for the OP as it looks like thats what he needed.

But the reality is that there will be at most 10,000 there tomorrow night. You do not need a full compliment of stewards for that. Its not scrimping to the detriment of the safety of punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I take it that's the correct term for our co-travellers on the highway of the glorious British Isles.

stovelid wrote: »
    I take it that's the correct term for our co-travellers on the highway of the glorious British Isles.

Not surprised to see you having a cut here :rolleyes: I'm sure you know well what i meant. The Home Internationals previoulsy referred to the competition involving teams solely from the UK, whiuch despite what you may long for, we are not part of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭whocares86

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh i dunno viewpost.gif
    Do stewards get paid?

Yep. They sure do...

From what i am told they get €65 a match. why are the FAI / IRFU paying them.

the stewards in Croke Park get a breakfast roll and a programme and thats it so why is the Aviva different

whocares86 wrote: »

From what i am told they get €65 a match. why are the FAI / IRFU paying them.

the stewards in Croke Park get a breakfast roll and a programme and thats it so why is the Aviva different

No they don't. Stewards at Gah games get paid more because there are two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

No they don't. Stewards at Gah games get paid more because there are two games.

The vast majority of stewards at GAA matches and events in Croke Park and other GAA grounds are volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Delaney's a tramp though, i don't need more reasons for a cut at the FAI.

The vast majority of stewards at GAA matches and events in Croke Park and other GAA grounds are volunteers.

Whatever about the sticks, I have done stewarding at CP, and the overwhelmming majority are paid. A very small amount of stewards are club men, the same proportion in rugby and football too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Whatever about the sticks, I have done stewarding at CP, and the overwhelmming majority are paid. A very small amount of stewards are club men, the same proportion in rugby and football too.

Needless condescension to the "Gah" and "the sticks" in your posts. Nothing new there. But is it really so difficult to type "GAA" or "the rest of the country"?

Anyway, as is said above, they should maybe rethink stewarding strategy given how frequently morons are getting on the pitch at internationals.

Needless condescension to the "Gah" and "the sticks" in your posts. Nothing new there. But is it really so difficult to type "GAA" or "the rest of the country"?

Anyway, as is said above, they should maybe rethink stewarding strategy given how frequently morons are getting on the pitch at internationals.

I think you will find its a MUCH bigger problem in the Gah...

But you are partially right. Idiots can get on the pitch. The issue is how long they last on there, and last night was FAR too long.

I think you will find its a MUCH bigger problem in the Gah...

But you are partially right. Idiots can get on the pitch. The issue is how long they last on there, and last night was FAR too long.

What is with your obsession with turning everything into a football v GAA debate? GAA or soccer, it doesn't matter. They are all Irish idiots doing idiotic things. We are talking about what happens at Irish soccer matches. Too often there has been idiots on the pitch during Irish games for far too long.

What is with your obsession with turning everything into a football v GAA debate? GAA or soccer, it doesn't matter. They are all Irish idiots doing idiotic things. We are talking about what happens at Irish soccer matches. Too often there has been idiots on the pitch during Irish games for far too long.

whocares86 brought Gah stewarding into it. Like a lot in GahGah land, he has a misty eyed view thats not the truth. I merely corrected him.

I don't disagree with you on the substantive. There seems to be a culture in Ireland that some fans think they can go onto the park. Thankfully this is less prevelant in civilised sports like football and rugby.

• Advertisement

whocares86 brought Gah stewarding into it. Like a lot in GahGah land, he has a misty eyed view thats not the truth. I merely corrected him.

I don't disagree with you on the substantive. There seems to be a culture in Ireland that some fans think they can go onto the park. Thankfully this is less prevelant in civilised sports like football and rugby.

I think that post shows more about your mindset than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

as are the players!!

I think that post shows more about your mindset than anything else.

I do hope so. The object of the excercise is to permeate an air of smug arrogance and look down on the bogballers and stick swingers and their cultural nationalist bull.

Stay off the pitch and stop attacking referees you louts.

I do hope so. The object of the excercise is to permeate an air of smug arrogance and look down on the bogballers and stick swingers and their cultural nationalist bull.

Stay off the pitch and stop attacking referees you louts.

That BS would make sense were you not completely and utterly contradicted by regular pitch invasions and several instances of crowd trouble in soccer games in Dublin.

Anyway, enjoy your deluded rants.

That BS would make sense were you not completely and utterly contradicted by regular pitch invasions and several instances of crowd trouble in soccer games in Dublin.

Regular? Don't think so, but the point, of course, is that there are serious sanctions for both the clubs and fans every time there is an incident. In the Gah, nothing ever happens.

Did the 'fan' who attacked a referee in Croker at the Leinster cup final recieve any sanction? Or the lad caught on camera in Tipp hitting a referee with a hurl? Or any of the indidents last summer?

Didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Anyway, enjoy your deluded rants.

Several is a lot less than the hundreds of thicks that scurry all over the pitch the second the whistle's blown in CP.

• Advertisement

Several is a lot less than the hundreds of thicks that scurry all over the pitch the second the whistle's blown in CP.

At the huling cup final in 2009 a steward who was trying to prevent the pitch invasion had his jaw broken by a Kilkenny fan.

Imagine the media if that had happened at a football game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

At the huling cup final in 2009 a steward who was trying to prevent the pitch invasion had his jaw broken by a Kilkenny fan.

Imagine the media if that had happened at a football game?

The hurling cup final? WTF is that? It's called the All Ireland Hurling final and did you not see the Stevenage pitch invader a few weeks back, he got a few column inches for that!

dcr22B wrote: »
    The hurling cup final? WTF is that? It's called the All Ireland Hurling final and did you not see the Stevenage pitch invader a few weeks back, he got a few column inches for that!

And he got a court date.

Things happen. Loo-la's exist in all sports. Its just one sport seems to never, ever, get around to prosecuting or banning anyone when it happens in their sport. But for some reason, they actually have the arrogance to get on the high horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Did the 'fan' who attacked a referee in Croker at the Leinster cup final recieve any sanction?

Ah sure he was a Dundalk fan in disguise!

Didn't you know it was cool to pretend to know nothing about hurling :pac: But honestly, calling it the hurling cup final is an embarrassing attempt to wind people up. Sadly it is not that surprising.
    And he got a court date.

Things happen. Loo-la's exist in all sports. Its just one sport seems to never, ever, get around to prosecuting or banning anyone when it happens in their sport. But for some reason, they actually have the arrogance to get on the high horse...

I take it you choose to ignore the reports in newspapers where people that come on the pitch in GAA matches are in court? Or maybe I have invented the following story up on my high horse?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/streaker-case-gaa-fan-faces-new-charge-205535.html
    A NEW charge was brought yesterday against a hurling fan who allegedly streaked during last July's Leinster final at Croke Park.
    Kevin Caulfield (24), Pondfield, New Ross, Co Wexford, was originally charged with indecency and breach of the peace.

Dublin District Court heard that those two charges were being withdrawn and replaced with a new charge of offending modesty and causing scandal.

He was remanded on continuing bail to appear again on

Also, you are not comparing like with like to compare a post-match,on-field celebrations to pitch invasions during a game. Whilst I disagree with post match celebrations on the pitch, they ARE different. Furthermore, the events you refer to in the Leinster Final last year have led to legal action. I assume your myopia means that your one eye missed those reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

did you not see the Stevenage pitch invader a few weeks back

I did, but Stevenage has nothing to do with the FAI or the LoI.

Stevenage is a place in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Stevenage is a place in England.

Thanks for the geography lesson, here was me thinking it was in Equatorial Guinea :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The vast majority of stewards in Croke Park are volunteers working for the GAA. There are some stewards that are paid and they work for frontline security, they only work on Hill 16 and also pitchside at the end of the match, they all wear black slacks and black shirts. But there are over 400 volunteer stewards in Croke Park

I take it you choose to ignore the reports in newspapers where people that come on the pitch in GAA matches are in court? Or maybe I have invented the following story up on my high horse?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/streaker-case-gaa-fan-faces-new-charge-205535.html

That has nothing to do with the Gah though - hence he was lagged. The Gardaí made that call.

Also, you are not comparing like with like to compare a post-match,on-field celebrations to pitch invasions during a game. Whilst I disagree with post match celebrations on the pitch, they ARE different. Furthermore, the events you refer to in the Leinster Final last year have led to legal action. I assume your myopia means that your one eye missed those reports.

I must have, largely because there was no legal action. Because if there was, you would have linked to it.

They aren't different in the sense the Gah banned them, but the muldooligans carried on anyway, breaking a stewards jaw anyway. As I said, imagine a LoI fan broke up a steward, the Herald would run a 6 page suppliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

dan1895 wrote: »
    Ah sure he was a Dundalk fan in disguise!

I remember they tried to pass them as Johnny come lately's that got so worked up at their 1st ever gaa match they had to run on the pitch to attack the ref :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I must have, largely because there was no legal action. Because if there was, you would have linked to it.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I thought this thread was about the reduction in stewardship at the Aviva Stadium.

As typical there are agenda posters and windup merchants who frankly are typical keyboard warriors and have a bad sporting attitude in general, COP ON. Sports are there to be enjoyed by all. Your clear insightment at other posters for the love of their local game only makes you look childish. The fact that posters cant let other posters enjoy their chosen game or multiple games is such a lazy attitude to have and obviously stems from your own personal experience at some stage of your life.

Its better to let go of your obvious hatred, life is far far too short Contempt leads to hernias and coronay disease. Get over yourselfs.

back on topic.

The invasion by 2 numtees the other night was ridiculously long. I wonder does the reduced numbers bare any impact in this case. but it was clear from the TV that there were stewards nearby obviously to the idiots on the pitch. Perhaps their spidey sense was on the blink.

They aren't different in the sense the Gah banned them, but the muldooligans carried on anyway, breaking a stewards jaw anyway. As I said, imagine a LoI fan broke up a steward, the Herald would run a 6 page suppliment.

Or maybe I don't want to spend my life posting links that you will ignore as you continue to talk BS. Anyway, another poster has linked to the article. This pretty much proves your points to be wrong.
    The GAA have conducted their own investigation into the incidents but have been waiting for the Garda investigation to be completed

You talk as if this situation was not mentioned at all by the media either at the time or when legal action was launched, which is obviously a pretty idiotic statement. Anyway, this whole argument is off topic.

listermint wrote: »
    The invasion by 2 numtees the other night was ridiculously long. I wonder does the reduced numbers bare any impact in this case. but it was clear from the TV that there were stewards nearby obviously to the idiots on the pitch. Perhaps their spidey sense was on the blink.

At the game I did not see a huge reaction by the stewards, which is a bit worrying. It was a long time before I saw any stewards getting close to them.I think the stewards near them were focusing on "their" job which meant staying in position and presumably there are others that are more free moving. I thought they would have improved their reactions after the Russian game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Pauleta wrote: »
    Of course there are going to be reduced stewards tomorrow night. Theres only gonna be 10,000 or so there. Tonights game will have around 25,000.

Tuesdays attendance 19,783

Last nights attendance 18,742

• Advertisement
Advertisement