Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D610 laptop Motherboard Power up issue

• 08-02-2011 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was wondering if there's anyone out there with experience in debugging laptop motherboards.

I have a d610 that has an intermittant power up problem. Checked all the usual suspects to no avail. Just before the problem started it done an over temp shutdown, but thermistor and two temperature measurement diodes are fine.

Psu section seems fine too. Removed battery incase that was causing it. Same in docking station and power supply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Hi all,

Was wondering if there's anyone out there with experience in debugging laptop motherboards.

I have a d610 that has an intermittant power up problem. Checked all the usual suspects to no avail. Just before the problem started it done an over temp shutdown, but thermistor and two temperature measurement diodes are fine.

Psu section seems fine too. Removed battery incase that was causing it. Same in docking station and power supply.

Had the same problem with mine. It was the power jack, they are notoriously unreliable with dells. The first dell (D610) I had, was under warranty and they replaced the board. The second one I had (XPS 1330) was no longer under warranty and I sent away one time to get repaired. There are allot of companies doing this sort of replacement. I have since stopped buying Dell's as a cause of this consistent failure of the jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I checked the jack it's fine, having the same problem on the docking station...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Moved this here as I thought it might get more answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Just repaired my sisters one , Similar sounding problem , there should be a small power board under the bezel for the power . I got a new one off ebay seemed too solve the problem .

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Had the same problem with mine. It was the power jack, they are notoriously unreliable with dells. The first dell (D610) I had, was under warranty and they replaced the board. The second one I had (XPS 1330) was no longer under warranty and I sent away one time to get repaired. There are allot of companies doing this sort of replacement. I have since stopped buying Dell's as a cause of this consistent failure of the jack.

Thats odd. Because with 2,000 Dell laptops in constant use over four years I have seen no jacks in a Dell laptop go. That includes D610's. I saw charging circuits go in one or two, but no more then the usual failure rate for parts.

@OP, go to the dell drivers site and download the current diagnostic tools. Its a invaluable tool in identifying a problem. I would start with a memory test, as from personnel experience when a Dimm is failing it can stop the laptop from booting up sometimes. You just get a quick green power light and then it turns off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Went to eBay and picked up a used motherboard for €50, back up and running fine now.

Did you look in detail at the charging circuit?

Yea a faulty dim will usually cause the caps lock light to flash ten times then shut down.

When I've some more time I'll look at the old one again..

Advertisement