Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Summons has mistakes - legal??

• 08-02-2011 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,

A solicitor who I engaged about 6 years ago and paid £1k to, but who provided minimum help. Started chasing me for money. I disuputed the amounts, including fact that no Section 28 letter was sent etc etc.... anyway; they were pretty poor at providing legal advice.

They have sent me a civil summons - which has my surname spelled incorrectly, my address is wrong (explaining why I didnt receive some letters from them) and by chance I got one letter from them with copy of summons... also I am not resident in an EU country.

Is there any point "fighting" this or could I justifiable ignore this summons since "legally" its not addressed to me.

p.s. I am still in dispute over their costs which they have changed a couple of times.....

any pointers in the right direction gratefully received!! :)
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Minor faults, such as spellings, etc can be corrected in court on the date the case is heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not so much for civil cases, as mistakes will not be tolerated by many judges. What might happen is the case is struck out and they can get their house in order and reissue proceedings.

It is true for criminal proceedings that minor errors will be allowed but not so much in civil matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

What about if a civil summons has the wrong date on it? As in if the date is wrong in all but one place on the summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No use what so ever. They can simply amend it at court and with it being civil it can be reissued anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The OP states he does not live in a EU country, so I assume that includes Ireland. He has not stated how the summons was served, do you OP live in a country that is part of Brussels convention, if not Brussels convention country was motion granted to serve summons. OP states bill goes back 6 years if so was it more than 6 years then statute of limitions may apply.

Get a Irish solicitor or local lawyer to deal with the matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement