Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a voice recorder to a webpage

• 08-02-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm a programmer (MATLAB and C mostly) but need to develop a web-page for another project I'm working on.

It doesn't need to be pretty but it must be functional.

Basically, I want to conduct an interview remotely. I plan on sending people a list of questions and a link to a web-page where I can record their responses.
    I've done some HTML/PHP/SQL years ago, but I'm looking for the least painful method.

Thanks,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Never tried it myself, but you can probably do this with either Flash or Silverlight (v4). Google should turn up some material, eg;
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2065797/how-to-record-voice-files-using-php-flash

From some poking around, it's not something you'll be able to do on most shared hosting, you'll need to be running your own servers. It also doesn't sound particularly easy and/or cheap, so unless you really need to do this, I'd give it a miss and have the users email/form submit their answers. It's also going to be a lot easier on the users - they don't have to get a microphone working on the client end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

that's going to be tough to coordinate with your users unless they're a relatively tech savvy market, and if it's not an everyday necessity it seems like a lot of trouble to go to. why not just use skype?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This is pretty awesome :)
    Tasks done by ListenUp:

* ListenUp runs on the client computer.
    * ListenUp records audio and uploads it to the server.
    * ListenUp downloads audio from the server and plays it.
    * ListenUp enables the web developer to change the look of ListenUp or control ListenUp using JavaScript.

Tasks done by You or Your Software:

* Your Software runs on the server.
    * You write the script to receive the uploaded audio(same technique used to handle HTML FORM data).
    * Your Software can add other funtions such as voice email, voice forums, voice messaging, etc.(we can provide examples).
    * You write the server-side application.

Advertisement