Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin: Where to Start???

Options
  • 08-02-2011 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys,

My husband and I are moving to Dublin from South Africa in 5 weeks, and our accommodation (family friend) has just fallen through. Can anyone give us advice on where to start looking for accommodation in Dublin?

I've had a peek at some ads on Gumtree, and will discuss these with my hubby this evening. Accommodation seems fairly expensive, so we're considering shared accommodation for a start, until we can get settled in our jobs (steady income) and can afford a place of our own.

Besides Gumtree, where are the best websites to check out potential accommodation (and arrange for viewings or even just short-term stays when we arrive next month)??

Also, where can we find out more about Dublin life in general - getting around, which areas to avoid and which are must-see. Any tips would be much appreciated, as we've never been to Dublin (or anywhere in Ireland!) before (though hubby has travelled all the way across Europe years ago!)

Thanks so much!!
    Angela

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

try daft.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AngelaKruger

ntlbell wrote: »
    try daft.ie
    Thanks ntlbell - found it in another post on this forum just a moment ago too. 2 recommendations, I'll definitely have a look around :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

www.daft.ie
    www.myhome.ie

in order to give you recommendations, we would need a bit more information

i.e. Where are you going to be working; are you looking for city or rural; will you be relying on public transport etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AngelaKruger

irishbird wrote: »
    www.daft.ie
    www.myhome.ie

in order to give you recommendations, we would need a bit more information

i.e. Where are you going to be working; are you looking for city or rural; will you be relying on public transport etc.
    Right now I'm still applying for jobs - hopefully I'll have a few interviews lined up when we arrive, but most of the companies seem to be near Dublin city centre, so definitely city accommodation or nearby. Public transport definitely, at least for the first while.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

haven't used this myself but might be of interest;

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

This one is not too bad either:

http://www.yourlocal.ie

Advertisement