Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cooper Helmet Photos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Maybe its because I haven't played hurling in a long time, I cant see anything new about the helmet?

There were versions looking pretty much identical to the ones in the pictures doing the rounds when I last swung a hurl in anger, and that was about 8 or 9 years ago?

Having said that I dunno if they were home made patch up jobs or bought as an all in one but the design was the same.

Actually, just checked back on some photos and I was at a game in 2009 where players had the same style helmets but made by Myrca

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I don't think they changed very much of the appearance but i believe the reason for the change was to make them compatible with the player injury scheme.

Can someone explain how these helmets are adjusted? I have a large mycro but its a little too tight and after half a match it starts to hurt. The XL is too loose so maybe the cooper would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 M.R.B

By looking at the pics I would say the main differece is thatthe faceguard has been changed, it looks like the "Killkenny Guard" which is prefered by most !

In regards to the the sizing issues, on both sides of the helmet there is a square path of "Screw Holes" (at a gues theres prob 6x6, so 36 possible holes), therefore to make it bigger, the screw is simply moved into a different to suit the wearer. Its rather difficult to explain in writing, so i hope this helps ! ;)

I used to have a mycro, and switched to cooper, and con hand on heart say its much more comfortable ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

I've a big head and no Cooper was comfortable but the XL mycro is savage comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 scrappycoco

any word on the sale date of the new helmets? are they available yet? checked website but doesnt seem to have been updated in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

I can see from the pic the changes are:

- The front. It looks like the top part is slighlty curved, ususally it is straigt across.

- Matte finish. A few of the newer helmets have the matte finish, the older ones were gloss.

- Looks like the plastic may be a bit thicker = harder and more safe. Obviously I can't tell for certain by looking at the pics.

- Padding: Looks like it is a bit thicker

- Kilkenny faceguard.

Does anyone know when they're available and from who? My cooper was swipped and I'm using one of the big round Myrcos (think Eamonn Morrissey when he was playing for Dublin). It's sh*te!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tyuis

Where did you loose the helmet man? Bad thing to happen. I remember Eoin Kelly (Tipp) was being interviewed on the field after a game by TG4, when he realised some young lad ran away with his helmet.

Always felt that the round helmet looked good on a full back. Made him more dangerous and intimidating looking. Like he would ate raw spuds. But maybe thats not the look you're going for.

New Cooper looks good and have to say I'm glad they didn't change it too much. You shouldn't ruin a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Anywhere i can get a cheap helmet? damn things are too expensive

Just after ringing them up about possible sale date..."defo wont be this month (April), hopefully be out next month but I can't possible be sure"

Being Cooper with their love of setbacks and poor predictions...prob mid-summer before it hits the shelves.

Vanhalla wrote: »
    Anywhere i can get a cheap helmet? damn things are too expensive

Hit donedeal.ie, always see people selling their helmets at reasonable prices. Chance of getting a wee bargain.

• Advertisement

tyuis wrote: »
    Where did you loose the helmet man? Bad thing to happen. I remember Eoin Kelly (Tipp) was being interviewed on the field after a game by TG4, when he realised some young lad ran away with his helmet.

Always felt that the round helmet looked good on a full back. Made him more dangerous and intimidating looking. Like he would ate raw spuds. But maybe thats not the look you're going for.

New Cooper looks good and have to say I'm glad they didn't change it too much. You shouldn't ruin a good thing.

I had it out in my shed during the off winter season, went out to get it there for my first junior game of the season to discover it had vanished. Searched everywhere and no luck. No-one in the club is wearing anything similar either!

My choices were whittled down to whatever else the shed had to offer: the blue round mycro, a kids new style myrco (that was about 30 sizes too small :D) and one of what can only be described as the mycro bucket helmet!! Think DJ Carey when he was a young lad (you know the one). I can safely say I would rather retire at 22 than play a match wearing that!!

Haha yeah they suit a big hairy full back alright, I dont think i can pull it off in the full forward line though ha!

Yeah they look great, not too much of a change. TBH im thinking of hitting up Elverys and getting a Marc helmet - they look comfy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

tyuis wrote: »

I know what you mean about the round helmet, don't know why but it was often the case that the lad in the round helmet was the nutjob on the team who would be partial to a bit of wild pulling!

Remember the micro helmets that were around before the round ones?, huge odd shaped yokes that looked like deep fat fryers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tyuis

Ya I loved those helmets, twas like they had a plateau on top where water could lodge. I reckon that I saw an earlier version of that helmet being used by one of Russel Crowe's Gladiators.

Has anyone bought one of these new helmets?

After months of using that horrible round mycro, I've finally manned up and bought an sk109 this morning!

Will report back when I recieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Has anyone bought one of these new helmets?

After months of using that horrible round mycro, I've finally manned up and bought an sk109 this morning!

Will report back when I recieve it.

I have one, you'll love it :D

Personally myself I changed the faceguard off for a killkenny faceguard,
    But thats personal preference and not needed the faceguard that comes with them is fine.

I had one of the old coopers before this and I rather the sk109.

Got the cooper. Played one game.

Fit is perfect. Very comfy. Plastic is good quality. Very sturdy and looks cool.

I will consider changing the faceguard once I've played a few games.

Verdict: Great. Worth the money.

Advertisement