Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furnishing a rental house?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

what exactly does a landlord have to provide when fitting out a house to rent?
    i recently rented my house and the tennants are already making a lot of demands.
    they're asking for a living room table,(there's 1 there but they say it needs to be changed) a tv stand,a toaster and an ironing board,do i have to provide these things?
    they also complained about the quality of the mattresses on the beds,said they were of very poor quality.i don't think they are,am i required to replace them or can i leave them as they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any places that ive rented

there has been

hoover
    toaster
    microwave
    oven
    kettle
    fridge
    dining table + chairs
    Couch / set
    tv stand

some have had irons and ironing boards included some have just had the ironing board.

Providing the items are in a reasonably good order and not trashed, I would be happy with them. Some people arent happy with the decour, and the are requesting items based on something that doesnt suit with their style. Frankly they should have decided that when they viewed the place. So what i am saying is if its in good nick to use then let them lump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

If the mattress is genuinely crap - broken springs or sagging - then you should replace it.

Kettle, pots and pans, hoover, toaster and ironing board/iron I've always bought my own. There's a PDF that was posted here before that lists what you must supply but I cna't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suppose this is down to how much you want to keep them.
    living room table,(there's 1 there but they say it needs to be changed)
    On what grounds? Surely they saw it before they rented the property.
    a tv stand,
    No. Not your fault their TV doesn't have a stand. Make sure they have a TV licence.
    a toaster
    No. Would you use a toaster that previous tenants had?
    an ironing board
    No.
    they also complained about the quality of the mattresses on the beds,said they were of very poor quality.
    I would investigate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

living room table - we rented a place without a coffee table and had to buy our own... it is pretty necessary. But you have one already, why don't they like it? Is it broken?

tv stand - most places we rented didn't have this. Since we had our own coffee table after the first place, we just used their coffee table to hold the tv (we put felt feet on our tv to keep the furniture from being scratched)

toaster - eh, yeah, every place we rented had one. They cost what, a tenner? Get them a toaster.

ironing board - again, every place we rented had one. Tenants are used to it, they're not expensive, but they are bulky when moving which is why it's annoying for tenants to have to have their own.

mattresses - if they're uncomfortable, the tenants will move out. If you buy a new mattress make sure you get one of those full plastic zippered covers for it so that it won't get stained - and make sure you check it when they move out, both sides. It will be much more likely to last several tenancies if you cover it like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

They don't have to provide anything, a house or apartment can be unfurnished.

I know a guy who only puts in essential equipment like a cooker and washing machine. No cutlery or plates, microwave anything like that. He told me he got pissed off people ringing up saying their toaster wasn't working properly. The Iron is on the blink. If people want a better bed they have to buy them self's and take them with them when they go.

I wish the Irish model would move more towards the US and European model of apartments that are unfurnished would save a lot of hassle of deposits and disputes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

The table is not in the best condition to be honest and I was intending on replacing it.if I have to I'll get a cheap tv stand,toaster,kettle etc but I just wanted to see if it was the norm to supply these things.
    The guy viewed the house and didn't seem to have a problem,all he asked was if there was a dishwasher and I said no.I get the feeling its his partner making all these demands..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Would the slightly crappy table do as a tv stand? Maybe with a lick of paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

TV stand, toaster and ironing board - tell them to provide their own, I don't see why you should provide these. Some landlords do, some don't. I wouldn't want to use some crumby toaster that someone else had been using, so to me it makes sense for them to have their own (or toast the bread on the grill of the cooker like a lot of people do). If the living room table needs replacing, do that, and they can use the old one as a tv stand if they wish.

The matresses I would inspect - if they are not in good condition then I would replace them TBH. Sucks having a manky saggy old mattress to sleep on.

FWIW I rent, and I own my own TV stand/press thing, iron and ironing board, don't use a toaster, have own kettle/microwave/kitchen accessories, coffee tables for the living room, and my own mattress too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tagine

they are really taken the piss
    i have rented for 10 years some place had toaster some dont
    never rented anywhere with iron an ironing boards
    where they blind folded veiwing house which i think they werent so they seen wat they got
    was it in lease tat u would get these for them?
    so i would tell them house was been taking as since so if they want toaster BUY ONE THEMSELVES
    if there want iron BUY ONE THEMSELVES:):):):)

Advertisement