Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Right in the city centre on the right hand side as you walked towards the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

STIG83 wrote: »
    Where was this in Waterford?

Where The Brasserie is now up from Alfie Hales Sports Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Cheers didnt know where it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Probably more around my area but Crystalvision where the Silver Star chinese is and the little shop in where the post office both at Cleaboy. Also, that shop (Matties I think?) on the hill where the City Vets is, the fella in there was sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cake Man wrote: »
    Probably more around my area but Crystalvision where the Silver Star chinese is and the little shop in where the post office both at Cleaboy. Also, that shop (Matties I think?) on the hill where the City Vets is, the fella in there was sound!
    ah I forgot about crystalvision. The birmigham chap that worked there was sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

seanybiker wrote: »
    ah I forgot about crystalvision. The birmigham chap that worked there was sound.

Yeah himself and another lad owned the place, many moons ago that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

I miss the Urinals in Ballybricken and the pens for the fairs. Lovely aroma off of them both....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I remember you could get children's videos for like 50p or something!

And I used to often have to run into Mattie's Hill Stores (I think) on the way to school in the morning. Either there, The Corner Shop or White's on Keane's Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

chelloveks wrote: »
    Wimpy's Burgers
    Where was this in Waterford?
    Nolanger wrote: »
    Right in the city centre on the right hand side as you walked towards the quay.

A tale of two Wimpy's.......
    In the Eighties it was in Arundal Square(The Brasserie)
    In the Seventies it was in Broad St, near here........

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.260278,-7.111824&spn=0,0.019205&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.26019,-7.111818&panoid=uDq3HUxUyolMN4dUL5ui9w&cbp=12,50.7,,0,17.03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The hill is called Mattie's Hill. The owners had a different name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

dayshah wrote: »
    The hill is called Mattie's Hill. The owners had a different name.

Yeah but it was called Mattie's Hill Stores in the late nineties, I'm almost sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Enjoy your bank holiday! He used to always say that every time you'd rent a video on a BH weekend, nice chap alright who would talk for hours about football given the chance!

Also Doc's before it became the Post Office and The Butchers before that became Ladbrokes!

And of course when The Cleaboy pub had pool tables!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Cheers didnt know where it was

The original Wimpy was around where Conway Briscoe Jewellers (Dillons) are now.

Can still taste those knickerbocker glories.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I remember a green grocers being in that spot before crystal vision. The Green Grocers started renting videos as well for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

The cream buns and sallies from Walshes Bakery - lovely with a cup of tea on a cold morning;)

This is a not really place I miss but wondering what happened to the Internet cafe place across from the people's park? It was a couple of rows down from Dominos, it was upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Foam Parties in Club LA.
    They were this biz.
    I remember the frist one where they didn't dilute the foam properly and everyone got a rash off it. :D
    Was still the best night i ever had in their.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Nuphor

This is a not really place I miss but wondering what happened to the Internet cafe place across from the people's park? It was a couple of rows down from Dominos, it was upstairs

They moved here to Gladstone street: http://www.ctcentre.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

cococoady wrote: »
    Foam Parties in Club LA.
    They were this biz.
    I remember the frist one where they didn't dilute the foam properly and everyone got a rash off it. :D
    Was still the best night i ever had in their.

People catching a rash after antics in Club LA and blaming it on "undiluted foam." Poor excuse my friend :D
    I'm actually too young to remember it. It was Masons by the time I started going out. Or was it called something in between Club LA and Masons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

kfallon wrote: »
    Enjoy your bank holiday! He used to always say that every time you'd rent a video on a BH weekend, nice chap alright who would talk for hours about football given the chance!
    I remember a green grocers being in that spot before crystal vision. The Green Grocers started renting videos as well for a while.

Haha Waterford is too small. I remember all these things. Yeah the green grocers started with the videos and thats how it turned into the video shop if I remember correctly. John, the Aston Villa supporter, he used to run a fantasy football competition for all the lads in the area, we would put a fiver in for the prize. I never won :( We would listen to the football commentary on BBC radio in his van outside and shout into him whenever someone scored.
    kfallon wrote: »
    And of course when The Cleaboy pub had pool tables!
    I spent many a Sunday playing pool all day long in there as a child :)
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah but it was called Mattie's Hill Stores in the late nineties, I'm almost sure.

Yes, you're right.

• Advertisement

Lol i remember people always out at his van alright. He was sound though ya pop in for a video and still be there an hour later talking ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dan133269 wrote: »
    People catching a rash after antics in Club LA and blaming it on "undiluted foam." Poor excuse my friend :D
    I'm actually too young to remember it. It was Masons by the time I started going out. Or was it called something in between Club LA and Masons?

Ya, the Rhythm Room.

Nuphor wrote: »
    They moved here to Gladstone street: http://www.ctcentre.net/
    Cheers i didnt know where it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Davey Mac's

O'Regans at the end of Bunker's Hill
    Wyleys

Wasn't the Book Centre where Elverys is now originally?

The Grand Central on Ballybricken - the inventors of the potato scallops and the best ever tbh - went to school with Colin "Scallop" Whelan

The hump back bridge in Bath Street - what a nighmare in the mornings

Twamleys in Ballytruckle

The Marteen in Ballytruckle - owned by Willie Tubritt I think - emptiest shop I was ever in in my life but Willie was a gent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Wasn't the Book Centre where Elverys is now originally?
    Think so. It was a few doors away from Burgerland.
    The Grand Central on Ballybricken - the inventors of the potato scallops and the best ever tbh - went to school with Colin "Scallop" Whelan
    Haven't seen Scallop in years.

Furlong's TV shop on Gladstone Street and Heusen on O'Connell Street.

Sages Barbers in O'Connell Street. The shop on the corner of Vulcan Street and O'Connell Street that was there before the Arts shop used to have a genuine buffalo head from the old West on the wall.

Suirside Radio, WLR and ABC when Pirate Radio was cool. They played music then (a bit like MTV in the early days). Crosslane Video. The Big W CB radio club and the Urbs Intacta one (?). (Used to meet in different pubs and on different nights.) CB radio - the Instant Messenger of its day. The computer shops (Chipshop on High Street, Finn's Camera Shop and a few others). The slots/gaming arcade where the Book Centre is now. Mods/Rockers/Punks.

Watching the battle scenes for the Kubrick movie "Barry Lyndon" being filmed down the Island lane.

Ardkeen stores when it was a small shop. The Cove shop.

Voyager internet cafe when it was down on the Mall. (First internet cafe in Waterford, I think.)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

That's right. Before that it was Butler's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah himself and another lad owned the place, many moons ago that was!
    Yeah I remember you could get children's videos for like 50p or something!

And I used to often have to run into Mattie's Hill Stores (I think) on the way to school in the morning. Either there, The Corner Shop or White's on Keane's Road.

Are you lot talking about the crystal vision that used to be where the Ardkeen quality food store is now or was there another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Are you lot talking about the crystal vision that used to be where the Ardkeen quality food store is now or was there another one?
    There was a Crystalvision in the Ardkeen stores place when the Ardkeen stores were down where Supermacs etc is now. There was another video rentals shop in the same place before it (late eighties). The Crystalvision one was very early nineties but I think it only lasted there for a few years.

Regards...jmcc

Were on about the one that was up byte cleaboy where silver star is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

The auction galleries on o Connell street.
    Browsing around all the junk in there.

Advertisement