Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom ngb

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

just got a letter in the door saying i am being uprgraded free to their next generation broadband 8mb line.

has anyone been upgraded already? is there much of a difference?

i have a 3mb line. never thought i t was slow. mind you i am not a big internet user and the xbox only takes up so much :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Got the same letter. A shame the 30GB limit isn't going up, though. Hopefully the speed increase will help.

Coverage map is available on http://www.ngb.ie/ Rush/Lusk are green which means they're due to changeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Martron wrote: »
    just got a letter in the door saying i am being uprgraded free to their next generation broadband 8mb line.

has anyone been upgraded already? is there much of a difference?

i have a 3mb line. never thought i t was slow. mind you i am not a big internet user and the xbox only takes up so much :D

I had 7mb broadband with Eircom and it was useless, especially for xbox. As soon as UPC was available in the area I switched to their 30mb offer. Works out 20 euro cheaper than what I was paying for eircom and the change in speed is noticeable.

I did upgrade from 3mb broadband to 7mb broadband on eircom but didn't notice too much difference really, very rarely got a 7mb connection was always about 2 or 3mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I was upgraded from 3mb to 8mb a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i dint think i would get near the 30gb limit

this is next generation seemingly and there is no congestion!

well will have to wait and see . signed up for email notification when i switches over.

upc braodband not availible in my estate yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Floppybits wrote: »
    I had 7mb broadband with Eircom and it was useless, especially for xbox. As soon as UPC was available in the area I switched to their 30mb offer. Works out 20 euro cheaper than what I was paying for eircom and the change in speed is noticeable.

I did upgrade from 3mb broadband to 7mb broadband on eircom but didn't notice too much difference really, very rarely got a 7mb connection was always about 2 or 3mb.

Maybe you fell for the thing I nearly did.Its up to 7MB, if your line can only take 3, than your still charged for the up to 7.Even if your upping it from 3 to..well 3 Look into it.HTH,Cathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

cathy01 wrote: »
    Maybe you fell for the thing I nearly did.Its up to 7MB, if your line can only take 3, than your still charged for the up to 7.Even if your upping it from 3 to..well 3 Look into it.HTH,Cathy

Cathy, I checked with eircom before getting the 7mb bundle and they said yes you can get the 7mb, other than that I wouldn't have got it.

To me Eircom should be hounded by the regulator to provide the speed that they advertise, it is a rip off if you are paying for 7mb but not getting it. I was delighted when finally I was able to switch UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Oh I was told them same, I can order it and get it, but the clause is its UP TO 7, not 7.My line only does 3 or 4.Hence why it made not a blind bit of difference.
    Floppybits I feel the same, its a rip off if you pay for something and end up not getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Yeah, the words UP TO are the key ones, I found the same, and then after querying in the broadband forum, I realised the cleverness of their marketing. If you are only getting 3MB I would for sure downgrade to that package, at least I get 5MB. :rolleyes: If only UPC broadband was available...sigh...:(

Advertisement