Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish cider brands

Options
  • 08-02-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me are there any other Irish ciders available in glass bottles apart from Bulmers and Llewelynns? Is there anything brewed in the North if there's nothing from the Republic?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's Johnny Jump-Up, but it's as bad as Bulmer's.

In the north there's Mac's and Armagh Cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There's a Devils Bit cider in our local offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

trad wrote: »
    There's a Devils Bit cider in our local offie.

That's made by Bulmers I think and not a whole pile different ... possibly slightly drier but still sweet in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Any French style ciders in Ireland. Either doux or sec?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

That's made by Bulmers I think and not a whole pile different ... possibly slightly drier but still sweet in my opinion.

Nah, Devils Bit is one of the few Irish ciders that isn't made by Bulmers at this stage. Quite decent actually.

I've bought the cans once or twice recently when I've been in the mood for cider. I would've always bought Bulmers before but it's overly pricey & not really all that great anyway.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes, both.

Good price on Duche de Longueville at DrinkStore at the moment.

Sorry I mis-phrased my question. I meant French style Irish ciders. Thanks for the recommendation though!

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Nah, Devils Bit is one of the few Irish ciders that isn't made by Bulmers at this stage.
    Gleeson's make it themselves, they say. It doesn't come in glass bottles, per the OP's request, but the other Gleeson's brands Adams and Pippins do.
    enda1 wrote: »
    Sorry I mis-phrased my question. I meant French style Irish ciders.
    What makes a cider "French style"? If you just mean not-backsweetened-to-buggery-like-Bulmers, then Double L should do the job.

BeerNut wrote: »
    What makes a cider "French style"? If you just mean not-backsweetened-to-buggery-like-Bulmers, then Double L should do the job.

Actually that's a good question and one I find it hard to answer. I guess regarding the doux, its that it is naturally sweet meaning that the fermentation was stopped early to retain sugar and keeping a low alcohol percentage like 2-3%. For the brut/sec, its harder to say. I guess its dry while still not overly strong (max 5% more like 4-5%). Very effervescent and floral.

I've just never really enjoyed British - blow your face off - ciders, and am prejudiced against the Irish ones with that fear in mind.

I think I've had the LL years ago when I bought it under the counter at the Temple Bar market off the man himself I think. Like 6/7 years ago maybe... It was strong, though I was young.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

NB: Druids and the Lidl "Irish" cider are made in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Theres an Adams cider down our local, tasty stuff. I'm a Bulmers man meself but I always get Adams when I'm in there. Not sure who makes it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Theres an Adams cider down our local, tasty stuff. I'm a Bulmers man meself but I always get Adams when I'm in there. Not sure who makes it tho

Interesting. Does it come in a pint bottle?

I was thinking that recently, why is Bulmers the only cider in a pub when there's loads of other decent ones in the offies? Is it similar to Devils Bit since it seems there made bythe same company? Maybe they reckoned DB wouldn't be well received in the pubs? Where's that pub that you had it in?

why is Bulmers the only cider in a pub when there's loads of other decent ones in the offies?
    Because it's "premium". Premium means it's pretty much the same as anything else, but they advertise it heavily and they know you'll pay more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Interesting. Does it come in a pint bottle?

I was thinking that recently, why is Bulmers the only cider in a pub when there's loads of other decent ones in the offies? Is it similar to Devils Bit since it seems there made bythe same company? Maybe they reckoned DB wouldn't be well received in the pubs? Where's that pub that you had it in?

Yeah the Adams cider is in pint bottles

Advertisement