Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Dory Fillets

Options
  • 08-02-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi

i bought a couple of John dory fillets and am looking for some inspiration!
    anybody got any recipes? - while ive had this fish before, i've never cooked it. im sure its treated pretty much the same as other white fish but at the same time, it was a bit on the expensive side so dont want to make a ba*ls of it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I was lazy and just copied this in, but it's very good. Simple and tasty!

johndory.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I love John Dory. I personally think they are too nice to dip in breadcrumbs
    and deep fry.

I use the following recipe

Fry a small amount of finely chopped shallot for a few minutes, in a pan that just fits the fish
    Add the fillets.
    Add the juice of one orange and half a lemon.
    If that is not enough liquid to cover the fish, add a little water.
    Cook for a few minutes. The fillets are thin and will cook quickly.
    Remove the fish and keep warm.
    Turn up the heat to reduce the liquid to a sauce and add a dash of cream and season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I agree, John Dory is too nice to fry, delicate flavour and no pin bones, it's one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

thanks!! i do like the look of your Olaola, will deffo try that but maybe with a different fish
    huskerdu ur recipe is more what im after - its for a special occasion and i want to make smething really nice and tasty for myself and hubby :D
    thanks and keep em coming!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd fry it, but not in crumbs.

dredge it in seasoned flour.
    Just plain flour with some salt, pepper and cayenne is perfect. and then fry it in some browned butter for about 90 seconds each side and then just drizzle some lemon juice over to serve.

to brown the butter just but a good amount of butter in a pan at medium heat and wait until it's a nice golden brown colour and have a good amount of foam on it.

Serve it with whatever you want really, a nice green salad with a lemon based dressing with maybe some finely sliced shallots would be perfect

• Advertisement
Advertisement