Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What distance can you log on to wireless connection

• 08-02-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I know it is possible to log on to another wireless connection from my laptop, but say I am about 1 minute walk from my brothers wireless connection and I have his security password and wireless provider details can I log on to his connection. What is the maximim distance you could connect to another wireless connection

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Only one way to find out... ;)

I doubt it would be reliable, if even possible, (unless you are a very slow walker)....
    My neighbours opposite can log on to mine, but that's about the extent of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Hmmm i dont think that far. My computer can see about 12 networks but if you try log on the signal is so weak its unusable. It logs on for a second then off. So Maybe the question should be what distance can you log onto a wireless connection without it being unsusable.
    Would also obviously depend on the router. More expensive routers further signal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Houses /apartments across the street are usually the limit for wifi.
    Though with the correct set up you can get much further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Depends on whether the protocol is 802.11 a/b/g/n distance varies
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11#Protocols

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

I've read with the certain booster aerials like this long distances can be achieved - there are also instructions online to make something similar out of pringles cans - all depends on how much time u have on yours hands i suppose . :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Firstly how far can you walk in a minute :p

Unless you're a slow walker I doubt that you would be able to pick up his signal however there are things you could do to push the signal further such as WokFi which has distance claims of 10Km and beyond with an aligned transeiver setup and line of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

it really depends on 3 things

1. wireless type (A, B. G, N) where N type has furthest range and highest speed

2. Wireless antenna gain strength... the higher the gain the further the range and better quality the signal

3. environment... the more walls the signal must pass through or the more exposure to radio wave interferences the weaker it will get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

B has the longest range because of timing issues
    G won't wait more than 300m/c (c being the speed of light)

8Km is the furthest I've connect to with 802.11B
    you can go further but you need fancy gear

Advertisement