Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro - disappointing speeds

• 08-02-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I recently got the Digiweb Metro 8MB package, but have been very disappointed with the download speeds. I've often been getting under 1MBps on it.
    Support say this is due to contention and there's nothing they can do.
    Are these the speeds I'm likely to experience for the next year?
    Anyone else on Metro have these speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What are those download and upload with?

Test a file on HEAnet server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Sorry, those are done with speedtest.net
    How would I test with HEAnet?

But which speedtest.net?
    Since magnet free TV streaming launched some of the Speed test servers are slower to access.

Try different ones, Limerick, Galway, Dundalk, Dublin. If speed is different, then there is congestion outside Digiweb.

Download Ubuntu ISO or some similar large file. File download speed (bytes) x8 to x10 is actual Internet speed (bits, there are 8 bits per byte, but the overheads of protocol etc slow byte transfer).

Oh, I just clicked the "Begin Test" button which should choose the least congested server.
    I'm pretty sure the speed is accurate enough though - I can't watch a Youtube video or similar.

Dublin, Limerick, Galway and Dundalk all tried - they range between 1 and 2MBps.
    Downloading Ubuntu is about 250 KB/s

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

fjon do you want to pm me your account details and I will escalate the issue to IT support and see if there is a problem with your service.

Thanks
    Marion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tore100

Hi every one, first time ever in few yrs 12 mb download and 1 upload Metro extra limerick
    Big problem speed is PERFETTO morning time come to the evening down to 1Mb a huge drop of 11 Mb not Bad eh?
    why they "DIGIWEB"advertise SPECIAL DEALS WHEN THEY CANT DELIVER !?:mad: IM Paying 60 euro what for ?
    I have a solution boys for every one
    drop the contract and move on let them go burst.... then maybe they know that we are the main people and not just a numbers.../\

fjon wrote: »
    Dublin, Limerick, Galway and Dundalk all tried - they range between 1 and 2MBps.
    Downloading Ubuntu is about 250 KB/s

So you are getting just over 2Mbps. Something is broken. PM the Marion in Digiweb.

Just got a PM from Marion. He (she?) explained the situation and hopefully it will be resolved in the coming weeks.

[/B]182606_1418314558206_1842914007_771160_1630864_n.jpgi have done few more speed test and just got the same result.... what game are they playing ? Digiweg i think i wont be paying your wage any more very soon from now.... im not going to let you take more money for a crap service out my bank acc/[/B] The last test at 16:54 this evening Download speed 1978 Kbps and the upload 842 Kpbs when it should be 12 Mb Download and 1 Mb Upload a big difference my friends... no difference on the monthly charge !!!One of my Screen shot , from a 12 Mb download and 59.94 euro a month thats what i getting everyday " do i have the rights or not ? still waiting for digiweb to reply to me , i have sent them one more email but got nothing back yet ..........

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Tore100 have you spoke to someone in customer care? If not you can PM me your details and I will check it is not an isolated issue for you.

Thanks
    Marion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukk

Hi guys,

I have signed with digiweb just maybe a week ago for 8Mb Metro Wireless broadband.
    They have a great customer service, thats for sure. No complains about that.

Unfortunately speeds are never around 8Mb when I need them, they are on the other end of the scale; 1-2Mb is all I get between 6pm and midnight!!! I get 8 Mb only at like 7am in the morning.

Tested with speedtest.net for two days, hour by hour between 6pm and midnight. It’s ridiculous, isn’t it?!?

This is not enough to watch youtube on lowest settings. Not enough to talk to my family on skype with video switched on.

I contacted them and like i said their customer service is very good, got a reply to collect some test data, which I did and then all they said was that my connection is shared with other users. Of course I know that, but hey 1-2 Mb instead of 8Mb is a bit too much of a difference!

been with upc before and it was great, but cannot now because I moved to a new place, ehh.

Is there any reasonable way I could cancel my agreement now? Would like to switch to another provider, but I will do my research before I choose one.

Having a great customer service doesn't fix the problem my friend !!! i have sent them 3 emails containing some screen shoots like the one that i have posted in here and guess what?
    no joy yet... but im sure of one thing they have lost a customer , i have been with digiweb for i think 3-4 yrs and only in thelast few weeks i have notice this !!! the have a direct debit for the amount 59.94 a month:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukk

so got a call from digiweb, after I sent them an email asking for cancellation. they agreed to cancel the service without extra charges as they couldnt improve the speed. I think that is fair enough and I would love to stay with them (as they seem like a decent company) if they could provide the speed that I am looking for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

im having the same problem. Paying for 8mb.... getting 30-100kb on downloads. The download speed isnt steady... usually jumping from 5kb to 100 and back down.

It takes me 3 hours to download 300 mb..... bloody joke.

I spoke to customer care and they told me "its probably where im download from" which it isnt, as i've tried several places, different servers and test files which i've also tested in my work and friends broadband and have worked perfectly....

basicly its "pay for 8.... get 1/2 a mg at best and be happy with it"

f*ckin joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

never have any problems with digiweb myself, could be anything thats causing your problems from a over subscribed area to a bad signal issue

heres my speedtest and pings on the 8MB/1MB metro

1228548880.png
    ping to irish server
    37923308.png
    pings to uk servers
    37923335.png
    37923398.png
    37923431.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if your dsl is reliant on an eircom line your screwed.... eircom have rubbish lines once you live more than 1km from the nearest exchange.

better off switching to digiweb's wifi service instead.

Advertisement