Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Least Useful Sense Debate 2011

• 08-02-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I always believed that smell was the least useful sense but was surprised to learn that others disagreed.

It's probably because I don't have a very good sense of smell but the other senses seem to be so much more beneficial, especially for safety.

So I decided to see the general consensus

What is the least useful sense? 15 votes

Sight
    0%
    Touch
    0%
    Smell
    6%
    Busi_Girl08 1 vote
    Hearing
    93%
    Ruu_OldMadPatrickdfx-Dancorwill1977Hande hoche!jd007Aoifey!sbsquarepantsMr. Managerpragmatic1fedor.2.Screaminmidgetbrokenhinge 14 votes
    Taste
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

MadPatrick wrote: »
    I always believed that smell was the least useful sense but was surprised to learn that others disagreed.

It's probably because I don't have a very good sense of smell but the other senses seem to be so much more beneficial, especially for safety.

So I decided to see the general consensus

Certain people will rely on smell more than others. Besides, you only realise what you had when its gone and theres more to ones senses than safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Hearing
    orourkeda wrote: »
    Certain people will rely on smell more than others. Besides, you only realise what you had when its gone and theres more to ones senses than safety.

But surely safety would be the most important use of our senses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

MadPatrick wrote: »
    But surely safety would be the most important use of our senses.

Sight and hearing but for the other three would safety really be the primary focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

taste is the only one that actually doesnt hinder you if you lose it. now dont get me wrong i would go fucking ape if i lost my sense of taste(mainly because i wouldnt enjoy eating again) but i would rather lose it than another sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Common seems to be the most least used sense in Ireland.

I don't think it's the least useful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I think you need smell in order to be able to taste food properly.
    http://www.reachoutmichigan.org/funexperiments/agesubject/lessons/newton/tstesmll.html

You'd also need it to smell things like gas leaks, smoke from something burning [if yr smoke alarm was broke or u were in a place that didn't have 1]

If the stuff about pheromones is true, then smell plays a role in becoming attracted to other people, sex, and forming bonds between babies and parents.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/human-pheromones.html

I can't think of any of the senses I could easily do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You're missing quite a few senses already OP... Balance and acceleration, temperature, kinesthetic sense, pain, direction & other internal senses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This thread. It just doesn't make any! See what I did there? Ha! And again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

FatherLen wrote: »
    taste is the only one that actually doesnt hinder you if you lose it. now dont get me wrong i would go fucking ape if i lost my sense of taste(mainly because i wouldnt enjoy eating again) but i would rather lose it than another sense.

This.

Taste is also the least analytically employed sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Where's Sensibleken when we need him most?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As a smoker my sense of smell and taste are knackered anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Hearing
    Either smell or taste. I'd say smell because i like my tasty food! But the others would make life much more difficult if you lost them.

Advertisement