Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked Ham...what to do with it?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi All,

I got given a lovely big ham by my boyfs auntie on Sunday. It had defrosted on the long drive home so we said we'd cook it straight away rather than put it back in the freezer. I boiled it and then finished it off on the oven, and it's absolutely lovely. Really tasty, not too salty, house smells like Christmas again :)

Only problem is now I'm not sure what to do with it. I know we'll get through it, there'll definitely be no waste, but my brain is stuck at: Sandwiches with piccalilli or pasta carbonara. Seeing as I'm actually trying to reduce my intake of bread and pasta, I'm a little stuck.

Can you think of anything else I might do with the ham? I was going to make a pie with leeks and mushrooms, but with a sliced potato topping, kind of like a dauphinoise, instead of pastry?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ham freezes really well sliced, and if you heat it in the microwave when it's defrosted it tastes as good as the day it was cooked . You could also do some thick slices like gammon steaks and fry them when they've defrosted.

The pie sounds lovely - I'd put a spoonful of wholegrain mustard in with the sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

If it's already been frozen then I don't know if you should be freezing it again?

But yeah the pie sounds good, and definitely a bit of mustard in the sauce. Good shout there.

An alternative to carbonara would be to have it in pasta with chopped plum tomatoes, herbs, some fresh garlic and chill and whatever other veggie matter of your choice. I'd go for some olives and probably courgette. Spaghetti or tagliatelle works well. Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It was raw when frozen the first time. Absolutely no issue with freezing it again now that it has been cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Hill Billy wrote: »
    It was raw when frozen the first time. Absolutely no issue with freezing it again now that it has been cooked.

I know you can't freeze raw meat twice I just wasn't entirely sure about re-freezing after it's cooked. A cooked ham will keep in the fridge for several days anyway so probably no need to freeze any unless it's a very big ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Thanks for the advice, going to go with all of them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Pea and Ham soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I know you can't freeze raw meat twice
    Freeze meat twice is no different to defrosting it and putting it in the fridge for a day.

The reason you shouldn't do it has nothing to do with freezing twice.

Advertisement