Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Election Campaign Questions

Options
  • 08-02-2011 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I just received a flyer in the post relating to the Labour Party's local representative election campaign. It was delivered by An Post and I am curious to know where they got mine and a former tenant's names and address from. When I checked the voting register I navigated to the Galway City Council section and entered my details. This came up blank. If I can't find my own details how did the Labour Party get them?

Also, if this information is held by Galway City Council or if they are responsible for the information, should it not be confidential as stipulated in their privacy policy? Despite Labour's status as a political party they are still 3rd parties aren't they or do political parties have some kind of clearance:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

General Statement

Galway City Council fully respects your right to privacy, and will not collect any personal information about you on this website without your clear permission. Any personal information which you volunteer to Galway City Council will be treated with the highest standards of security and confidentiality, strictly in accordance with the Data Protection Acts, 1988 & 2003.
    Collection and use of personal information

Galway City Council does not collect any personal data about you on this website, apart from information which you volunteer (for example by e-mailing us). Any information which you provide in this way is not made available to any third parties, and is used by Galway City Council only in line with the purpose for which you provided it.

Would a political party have to pay the same 55 cent for the delivery of a flyer seeing as it's a letter/postcard size?

I know very little about the whole voting register and the accessibility of voter's information so I'm just asking. I thought the register was only there to ensure valid voting and not for electoral campaign purposes.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

electoral register

Advertisement