Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Irish Rum?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭

None springs to mind, besides that what do you think is the best Rum out there.
    Does anywhere stock Varadero Rum? Haven't tried it but want to.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Nice question, though I'd guess our lack of sugar cane plantations may hinder a thriving rum distillation industry.

I love rum though haven't really moved beyond Havana's range. Have to spread my wings I think!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think this stuff's Irish:
    5011026107227_2.JPG
    It's awful, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think this stuff's Irish:
    5011026107227_2.JPG
    It's awful, though.

Made in Dublin as far as I remember. I'll have a look at the bottle when I'm at work at the weekend. Horrible stuff either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Didn't we grow sugar up to a few years ago, maybe it should be brought back like the hops.

@beer nut, that clearly says Jamaican on the front of it.

that clearly says Jamaican on the front of it.
    No it doesn't.

Hi-res version.
    Edit: or see below.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I had been thinking it had something to do with Clonmel! Doesn't say if it's made here though.

ie2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wonder how many sugar beats you'd need for a cask of rum or could you even use it. I'd presume you can't grow cane sugar here.

It says on the website it's made with cane sugar. I guess they import the cane and have it distilled from that. Seems to me that having it contract distilled abroad would make a lot more sense, but then you'd put the country of origin on the bottle. Oh, unless it's distilled somewhere not known for its rum, like the UK or US.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I'm a bit suspicious whether it is actually made in Ireland at all. It just says Bottled in Ireland ... which is a far cry from even being produced in Ireland which in it's self does not mean made in Ireland. There is many a product produced in Ireland but not made here. You really need to be very careful with label definitions. Would be nice to know either way.

I'm a bit suspicious whether it is actually made in Ireland at all. It just says Bottled in Ireland ... which is a far cry from even being produced in Ireland which in it's self does not mean made in Ireland. There is many a product produced in Ireland but not made here. You really need to be very careful with label definitions.
    Very true. But if it was distilled in a traditional rum-producing country then surely that's a selling point for the label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Does anywhere stock Varadero Rum? Haven't tried it but want to.

Not that I'm aware of, it's hard to get outside of Cuba, and not that great apart from the dark 7 year old. Havana Club is better and easier to get hold of. If you want to try something special from La Isla Grande then Ron Santiago or Matusalem are worth seeking out. My go to rum is Havana Club Barrel Proof, a fantastic dry rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

BeerNut wrote: »
    It says on the website it's made with cane sugar. I guess they import the cane and have it distilled from that. Seems to me that having it contract distilled abroad would make a lot more sense, but then you'd put the country of origin on the bottle. Oh, unless it's distilled somewhere not known for its rum, like the UK or US.

I think that uinlikely, as rum is produced from molasses (or rarely sugar cane juice) - imagine the amount required to make just one bottle of rum! It's more than likely distilled abroad and doctored and bottled here.

MediaTank wrote: »
    imagine the amount required to make just one bottle of rum!
    Oh yeah :o
    MediaTank wrote: »
    It's more than likely distilled abroad and doctored and bottled here.
    Or, they just tanker in the molasses and distill that.

Advertisement