Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cmd box disappears

• 08-02-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Im trying to convert a hard drive to FAT32, but the software that I am using, Fat32format, says that I need to put the letter of the partition in the cmd box. When I run the programme it brings up the box for a split second, then it vanishes. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Could you not just run the .exe with the attributes via command prompt instead of launching (double clicking) the executable?

For example. Launch command prompt. Type the following:

C\Documents and settings\Folder where Fat32format is\fat32format.exe <put in details of drive you want to format>

Actually wait, I found this on it.

http://www.ke5ter.com/archives/2007/11/01/format-hard-drive-with-fat32-in-two-steps

http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/FAT32format-Screenshot-79375.html

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Im trying to convert a hard drive to FAT32, but the software that I am using, Fat32format, says that I need to put the letter of the partition in the cmd box. When I run the programme it brings up the box for a split second, then it vanishes. Any suggestions?

Go Start / Run, and then type cmd.exe

Once in the command window, go to the folder containing the executable for Fat32format, and then type the name of the file, including any parameters.

You will then be able to see the results without the window disappearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

dilallio wrote: »
    Go Start / Run, and then type cmd.exe

Once in the command window, go to the folder containing the executable for Fat32format, and then type the name of the file, including any parameters.

You will then be able to see the results without the window disappearing.

Which is exactly what I said! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have put in where the folder is loctaed and it isn't working :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I have put in where the folder is loctaed and it isn't working :(
    Writing "it isn't working" doesn't help too much with diagnosing the problem. What error message are you getting? Don't forget that if you're supplying pathnames as parameters, they should be enclosed in quotes if they contain spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

chin_grin wrote: »
    Which is exactly what I said! :p

:o
    Sorry chin_grin - correct

I had the reply box open, but got delayed responding... In the meantime you had posted.

Finally got it working, it's formatting now, but is taking a while. I read that there can be errors when formatting due to the size of the hd being above 32gb. I am trying to format 320gb of hd. Really hope it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Not sure why you would want to format such a large drive to FAT32

But there is a great drive partitioning and formatting tool for free called Easeus

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

It's a personal home edition that is free and quite powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

BordorFox wrote: »
    There's lots of reasons. PVR/DVR for example, some will only read/write FAT32, and there's no point in having a 2GB drive for that :D

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-large-hard-drive-fat-fat32/

BordorFox wrote: »

But there is a great drive partitioning and formatting tool for free called Easeus

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

It's a personal home edition that is free and quite powerful.

The reason I want to format it to fat32 is because my xbox will only read the drive in this format. I have a tonne of movies and stuff on my laptop hd, that I want to just be able to plug in and play. Anyway, it did not work for me. I left it on all night doing the format and when I woke up this morning it said the hd was too large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

what don't u just share the films on your laptop using windows media server???

xbox will read it over the network and you should be able to stream to it.

what don't u just share the films on your laptop using windows media server???

xbox will read it over the network and you should be able to stream to it.

I remember trying this a while back, but for whatever reason it didn't work. I just figured it would be easier to plug the hard drive in and watch it off that. I'd still prefer to do it this way if I could. I'll have to look into a bit more.

Advertisement