Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Carew in tattoo fail

• 08-02-2011 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

This is too funny to go unnoticed.

1297161848166_825.jpg

John Carew's new tattoo is supposed to read "My Life, My Rules" (in French) but the accent over the E is facing the wrong direction, and as such, language professors have said that it actually says "My Life, My Menstrual Period". :pac:

Google Translated Link here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Get off Twitter and get a job hippie! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He should squeeze that spot below his ear as well. Begging to be popped.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That spot is strangely distracting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He got bigger man boobs then myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The OP is seriously lacking thanks. That is funny as fúck :pac:

[Edit] just read that link. Ah no Brady that's not as good. The tattoo is just wrong. If the accent was the right way it would still have two possible meanings - rules or menstrual period.

You sir are a sensationaliser! [/Edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Pro. F wrote: »
    The OP is seriously lacking thanks. That is funny as fúck :pac:

[Edit] just read that link. Ah no Brady that's not as good. The tattoo is just wrong. If the accent was the right way it would still have two possible meanings - rules or menstrual period.

You sir are a sensationaliser! [/Edit]

Ah I misread it in that case. But still, I imagine it's the English equivalent of somebody wanting a badass "My time is now" tattoo getting a "My period is now" tattoo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why would a swedish dude a get a tattoo in french? why do irisk lovely gurls get chinese menus on their asses?

lifes little mysteries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Grammar nazi's are going to love this..

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Ah I misread it in that case. But still, I imagine it's the English equivalent of somebody wanting a badass "My time is now" tattoo getting a "My period is now" tattoo :D

lol yeah it does sound funny when you say it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

John Carew, Carew,
    He's lazier then me or you,
    He might score one or two,
    Then miss matches because of 'flu'
    John Carew, Carew.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Now why would someone from the associated press feel the need to run to a series of linguisic professors to find information available in any pocket dictionary? And why mention the fact that (dun-dun-dun!) a word might have two meanings?

What you can't see under the the collar of his jumper is "de grammaire de d'orthographe."

Now why would someone from the associated press feel the need to run to a series of linguisic professors to find information available in any pocket dictionary? And why mention the fact that (dun-dun-dun!) a word might have two meanings?

What you can't see under the the collar of his jumper is "de grammaire de d'orthographe."

They rang the professors because that's what the press do. It carries more weight if you get the word from the horses mouth.

And Tom's post above shows why it's funny, or could be funny, if it is equivalent to the example he gave.

So go on clever clogs, what does the French bit mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

John Carew, Carew,
    He's stuck with a shit tatoo
    He might score one or two,
    Then miss matches because of 'flu'
    John Carew, Carew.

Fyp :pac:

They rang the professors because that's what the press do. It carries more weight if you get the word from the horses mouth.

It really doesn't. Asking a linguistics professor to provide knowledge that any ten year old child with access to the internet and ten seconds to spare makes you look like you're wasting people's time on some pathetic crusade to make fun of a footballer for the entertainment of the drooling classes.
    And Tom's post above shows why it's funny, or could be funny, if it is equivalent to the example he gave.

It's about as funny as someone having a tattoo saying "My life, my rules" and some clown falling about the place saying "but rules can also mean 12-inch sticks of wood used for measuring! And Life is also the name of a popular American periodical!".
    So go on clever clogs, what does the French bit mean?

My life, my rules of grammar and spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's about as funny as someone having a tattoo saying "My life, my rules" and some clown falling about the place saying "but rules can also mean 12-inch sticks of wood used for measuring!

Ruler?

mars bar wrote: »
    Ruler?

No, 'rule'. It means the same thing but it's less common used, which was my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yakult wrote: »
    Grammar nazi's are going to love this..

there shouldn't be an apostrophe in that sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Des wrote: »
    there shouldn't be an apostrophe in that sentence.

There should be a capital letter at the beginning of that sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You should all get back on topic FULL STOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Shouldn't it be written in Norweigan?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why would a swedish dude a get a tattoo in french? why do irisk lovely gurls get chinese menus on their asses?

lifes little mysteries.

John Carew is Norwegian. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

John Carew is Norwegian. :rolleyes:

Theres a difference ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

He probably thinks he is of Norman descent. Carew Castle is a Norman castle in Wales. Carew is the name of the area though, not the builder. As a surname it appears to be of Cornish origin.

It really doesn't. Asking a linguistics professor to provide knowledge that any ten year old child with access to the internet and ten seconds to spare makes you look like you're wasting people's time on some pathetic crusade to make fun of a footballer for the entertainment of the drooling classes.
    I wouldn't trust the translation abilities of some random journo, or some child as you suggest. I would more likely trust the word of a professor of the language. People make mistakes when translating all the time. Just looking something up in a dictionary is not a very sure way of getting a good translation. And since they wanted to go to somebody for a reliable translation, it's reasonable to go to the best source available. It's standard practice.

Some people got a laugh out of it. You clearly think the humour is beneath you. I would suggest you get over yourself.
    It's about as funny as someone having a tattoo saying "My life, my rules" and some clown falling about the place saying "but rules can also mean 12-inch sticks of wood used for measuring! And Life is also the name of a popular American periodical!".

You don't actually know that. It could be as funny as Tom said, or it could be as mundane as you say. Either way it's a bit of harmless diversion. If you didn't have a snobby attitude about the whole thing you might have been entertained yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Maybe he's a Dr Alban fan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

to be fair to the OP, it does appear regles is a very common term for a period. Even just the wiki shows this; http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstruation

A quick google of the word features much more heavily in period related things (please noone at work check my internet usage for today!) than it does for "rules"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

When asked about his tattoo mishap, Carew threw a hissy fit and blamed the media for not supporting him, and not buying him flowers. He said he shouldn't have to ask for flowers, and that it would be nice if every once and a while he was surprised with some. Five minutes later he was bawling his eyes out apologizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

pwd wrote: »
    He probably thinks he is of Norman descent. Carew Castle is a Norman castle in Wales. Carew is the name of the area though, not the builder. As a surname it appears to be of Cornish origin.

He spent a couple of years in France - that may have influenced him.

I wouldn't trust the translation abilities of some random journo, or some child as you suggest. I would more likely trust the word of a professor of the language. People make mistakes when translating all the time. Just looking something up in a dictionary is not a very sure way of getting a good translation. And since they wanted to go to somebody for a reliable translation, it's reasonable to go to the best source available. It's standard practice.

Ask yourself how the 'story' itself was presented to the 'newspaper' - hot scoop, possible mistake in angle of diacritic in tattoo on footballers neck, quick -call in the ministry of diacritics! If you're going to make a story out of nothing to appeal to idiots why waste someone's time with it? It's not as though the type of bug-eyed cretin who slobbers over this kind of 'article' would have the contacts to verify the source with the king of French grammar or the manual dexterity to open a dictionary. The very fact that the newspaper would apparently go to such lengths to research something so unutterably inane while at the same time pulling fifty stories with an actual football angle out of their arses on a daily basis is staggering.
    You don't actually know that. It could be as funny as Tom said, or it could be as mundane as you say.
    It really isn't that funny.
    Either way it's a bit of harmless diversion. If you didn't have a snobby attitude about the whole thing you might have been entertained yourself.

Yeah, in a thread designed to poke fun at a tattoo artist's poor grasp of the intricacies of accent markings, I'm the snob.

• Advertisement

Ask yourself how the 'story' itself was presented to the 'newspaper' - hot scoop, possible mistake in angle of diacritic in tattoo on footballers neck, quick -call in the ministry of diacritics! If you're going to make a story out of nothing to appeal to idiots why waste someone's time with it? It's not as though the type of bug-eyed cretin who slobbers over this kind of 'article' would have the contacts to verify the source with the king of French grammar or the manual dexterity to open a dictionary. The very fact that the newspaper would apparently go to such lengths to research something so unutterably inane while at the same time pulling fifty stories with an actual football angle out of their arses on a daily basis is staggering.

It really isn't that funny.

Yeah, in a thread designed to poke fun at a tattoo artist's poor grasp of the intricacies of accent markings, I'm the snob.

Having a laugh at a footballer's dodgey tattoo is a bit of harmless entertainment.
    Getting in a huff about the thread and calling the people who enjoy the joke slobberring bug-eyed cretins is having a miserable and snobbish attitude.

Advertisement