Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this tree?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Can anyone identify this tree as I was hoping to find out more about the root system.

Thanks.

photo14801.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

When was the photo taken?
    From that view and with vigourous growth, I'd say Salix species.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Mothman wrote: »
    When was the photo taken?
    From that view and with vigourous growth, I'd say Salix species.

Hi, it was taken last May, it would remind you of a bamboo tree in a way as it grows long single branches from the ground but does have a main trunk. It reached 16/18ft tall in about 3 years from a small 4ft plant. It was there when I moved in and I now have a garage about 3ft away from it and worried about the roots and what they may do to the foundations. I will have a look for some more pictures of it close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Hi I agree with Mothman it is a willow poss white willow, I would say that it is too close to your garage and could cause damage to the foundations by sucking up all the moisture out of the ground beneath them and causing subsidence, if I were you I'd remove it but they also can be coppiced down to ground level say every two to three years and this may keep the roots in check. it takes really easily from cuttings even thick cuttings so mabey push some cuttings in further away from buildings down the garden. they are great in a soggy spot . hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Hi I agree with Mothman it is a willow poss white willow, I would say that it is too close to your garage and could cause damage to the foundations by sucking up all the moisture out of the ground beneath them and causing subsidence, if I were you I'd remove it but they also can be coppiced down to ground level say every two to three years and this may keep the roots in check. it takes really easily from cuttings even thick cuttings so mabey push some cuttings in further away from buildings down the garden. they are great in a soggy spot . hope this helps:)

Thanks for that, decided last night to cut it down fully, pity though as it had grown into a fine tree. Anyway I have a broadleaf lime tree (I think) about 10' away which I have shaped nicely & the willow was growing into it. Should I use stump killer?

147233.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Well if the willow may be an issue for foundation etc, I'd say the Lime will be a similar issue. And unless it is a restricted variety, Limes grow into large trees! I'm not familiar with garden varieties

I'd say the reason the willow was planted there is to make a living arch via the frame, it would need clipping once or twice a year.

The willow will reshoot with numurous stems that can be cut with loppers after a year.
    I know nothing about chemicals.

And sorry about omitting "willow" It must be almost the only species of flora and fauna that the scientific name seems to come to my mind rather than the english name. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement