Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipt for rent paid

Options
  • 08-02-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all. We've been renting our home since early 2008. Our landlord only officially registered us as tenants & himself with PRTB in Jan 2010 (ie nearly 2 years into our tenancy).

We want to be able to furnish the banks with proof of paying the equivalent of a mortgage for the last 3 years, is the landlord obliged to give us a receipt for all rent paid during our full tenancy to date, or just since Jan 2010?!

Should I assume because he wasnt registered with PRTB before that he was not declaring the rental income, and may therefore be difficult about giving us a receipt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

He should have provided ye with a rent book. As a landlord, I provide a rent book to the tenants that I sign anytime I visit them and provide receipts for each month's rent. You could ask for a receipt and if he refuses, am sure there's other ways of making him agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Most landlords don't give out rent books because most rents are paid by DD and are traceable through the bank.

If you paid by bank transfer then you can just get a printout of your transfers to the landlords account over the three years. If you paid by cash then you should get a rent book

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Penguino wrote: »
    Most landlords don't give out rent books because most rents are paid by DD and are traceable through the bank.

If you paid by bank transfer then you can just get a printout of your transfers to the landlords account over the three years. If you paid by cash then you should get a rent book
    :confused:
    Your landlord by law must provide you with a rent book or written letting agreement or lease. All payments made to the landlord, must be recorded either in the rent book or by written statement. http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

Advertisement