Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Foundry ...

Options
  • 08-02-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Im a 31 yr old lad from Carlow town . I have a gf and all but every now an again I go out on the town with my mates and the gf stays home. Last sat nite we were out for a few drinks in town , at the end of the nite we said we'd head to the Foundry/Tower to finish the night off ..... BAD MOVE .... The place should be renamed ... The Play Barn ... It was full of tinney boppers and creepers

We went straight to the bar in the foundry when we went in 2 get a drink and while we were waititng to get served i had a look about ... Kids everywhere ... the tower wasn;t much better when we went in there.

Now Im not bein a auld crsuty lad or anything and I aint passed it by any means but I couldn't believe how young the crowd in the foundry was , the age group has deffo gone down . They were mostly between 16 and 26 yeas old ... and if Im to be honest with meself , when I look'd round (and id know a fair few ppl who'd be in there , with me bein from the town and all) most of the people there the same age as myself were single and on the prowel. Im not paintin every1 with the same brush but im jus sayin what we saw. I saw a few lads in the cornor of the tower right beside the bar that looked in their mid or late 30's and they were chatting up young ones , buying them drink and generally being sleezy. I no some of them and i no that they have wives and gf's at home cos they are from the town 2.
    Thre were 4 of us in all and 2 of the other lads were single while me and my best mate have gf's. We both wanted to get out of there as quick as possible .... Im not sayin that there is anything wrong with going there when ur single - but if your not why bother ....? I love going out with the boys but the place is not for me any more
    Ill never let on but I do now relise why my gf hates me headin there without her. I always say to her that she dont trust me but I know it's not that at all, it's jus that she no's what that place is like . pick up joint springs 2 mind

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You're just beginning to realise you're getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tigerlily01

Im jus beginin 2 realize that I shd have copped on ta myself a good while ago ....Was deffo the wake up call that I needed. I gave the gf such a hard time over tellin me 2 grow up and cop on 2 meself but i now realize she was right all along ........

Im jus beginin 2 realize that I shd have copped on ta myself a good while ago ....Was deffo the wake up call that I needed. I gave the gf such a hard time over tellin me 2 grow up and cop on 2 meself but i now realize she was right all along ........

Welcome to my world! :D

Well at least im not alone ..... Suppose come 30 we all have to grow up . Should have prob grow up at 28 !!! .....Most of my mates dont even go there anymore .... well not any of the ones that have gf's ...... and the rest are all messers so thanks for the reply .... I know now that it's time to man up ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The age group is between 18-25 yeah

I don't really see the problem with the foundry, tis you with the problem!

• Advertisement

Your rite SV ... "tis me with the problem" , Im 31 and still going to the foundry ... Like you said the crowd is 18-25 year old ... Im 6 years older and dont need to be there

The Med is where all the older lot go, late bar too. Tis grand.

Yeah that's more like it I tink .... Older crowd - 28 and upwards . Time to leave the foundry and embrace life as " not a teenager anymore"

Thanks Testicle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Yep, the Med is the place to be for 25+ people these days!

I hear the DJ up there is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Apart from getting older, the problem I find with the foundry is that it is the one place everyone goes every weekend. I spent about 7 years of weekends in the foundry, having practically the same night week after week! The place and its occupants loses it's appeal... after nearly a decade!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ottostreet wrote: »
    Yep, the Med is the place to be for 25+ people these days!

I hear the DJ up there is fantastic!

I heard he tends to be a bit creepy and plays the worst music?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The Foundry is an awful place. I'm astounded it took someone to reach their 30s to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

I haven't been i there since 1997 , it was ****e then... sounds like it hasn't changed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

people tend to look alot younger the older you get too, im 28 atm and I could swear that some of the new 1st years I saw walking around the IT couldn't have been older than 15 yet they'd likely be old enough to legally get into the foundry.

ah it's just for the younger crowd I suppose godwin , 18-25 year olds like SV said ...
    If your in that ages group Im sure it has what ur looking 4 - if ur over tat you shd really steer clear ......
    It was jus the wake up call i needed last sat nite .... time i grew up an stopped thinkin i was missin someting if i didnt go ... Codulnt admit tat to the gf thou !!!! cant let her tink she was rite all along :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

SV wrote: »
    I heard he tends to be a bit creepy and plays the worst music?

I dunno man, all I know is it's busier there than it ever was, so he must be doing something right! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'm the same age as the OP, and haven't been to foundry in over a year. Don't miss it at all. Last time we were there it was cos one of my mates girlfriend had her friends down and it was their 1st time in Carlow so they had to go to this amazing foundry they'd heard so much about!

Med Bar is where all our nights seem to end up now, its a good spot but a bit expensive esp when near closing time they stop serving pints and charge u more for a bottle! But at that stage they know most ppl will just pay whatever to get more drink in before closing!

Reading all the replies just makes me tink ... what the hell have I been doing , still going 2 the foundry at 31 ???? ... I always come out thinking that its full of kids but Id still go back the next time the lads were going an id use the excuse that " sur that's where the lads are goin" .....

My gf used to always tell me to cop on ta meself and grow up but I jus thought that she was being old before her time and she didnt trust me .... now I know it's not that at all .... She's right.... It's time ta cop on and act like a 31 year old with a gf and not a 21 year old single lad

Time ta start acting me age .....

Thanks for all the replies ...... they ave been really helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kiab

Im living in the town ten years ... since i was 15... always disliked the foundry since around the time i was legally allowed in there, and found the tower that bit more bearable. Havent been there in over a year... and last time I was there it reeked of desperation. Also not a big fan of a couple of the DJs.

It has become the Copper Face Jacks of the south east and Age has nothing to do with it whether your 18 or 25 ya only go there for one thing....

Advertisement