Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[FORUM Q&A] [DUBLIN SE] Put your questions to Dylan Haskins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Having reviewed all your campaign literature, videos and various interviews as well as your shamelessly self-created and self promoting wikipedia page:
    Do you have any actual policies beyond "I'm Dylan Haskins and I've done some things that are kinda good and positive but that have absolutely no relevance to politics whatsoever" or is this just a vessel for self promotion to get your name out there, as it appears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If elected will you resign from RTÉ as there is a conflict of interest there.
    Well I'm not sure if you're employed directly but you've done work with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

What is your view on Lisbon and further EU integration?

Where do you stand on multiculturism following views expressed by European opinion makers such as David Cameron and Angela Merkal?

You support free education but what other reforms would you like in our education system to help drive the smart economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Give details of your educational qualifications.
    Have you finance experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

one of your statements on your website you mention a creative investment fund, you state you wish to seek funding for this from the corporate social responsibility funds of the many large corporations based in the constituency and from international corporations who are here to take advantage of our corporation tax rate.

this seems like an idealistic plan that has not be reastically thought through, would you disagree?

if you disagree, how much would you envisage could be raised through targetting these corporations for money?

Best of luck, it is refreshing to see independents making a stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Tragedy wrote: »
    Your shamelessly self-created and self promoting wikipedia page

I don't see the point you are trying to make here.

Q: Dylan, how do you plan on persuading older voters to side with you and, separately, are you proposing to donate a quarter of your salary to a creative fund due to personal interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Irish language is a topic in the news

You're not long out of school

Are you fluent?
    No harm if you're not, just a quick question

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

What are your thoughts on the problems of our ageing population in the coming years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You say in your document that Registration fees for 3rd level need to be cut and that students should only pay what the actual cost of registering a student into a college is. So who pays the remainder? Our near bankrupt country or our heavily indebted 3rd level institutions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Who is funding your campaign? Were you part of the aborted Democracy Now grouping?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chowdown

How do you deal with the criticism that when you're elected, you'll just be a Jackie Healy Rae/Michael Lowry for Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MareAtlanticvm

Tragedy wrote: »
    your shamelessly self-created and self promoting wikipedia page:

Actually I really wish living people contributed to the accuracy of their own pages more often. But from what I can see it was mostly edited by 'Fionnkidney' who is listed on his campaign website as part of his team/ his campaign manager. They could have left it with just the IP address but I think it is good that they didn't. They don't seem to be hiding the fact that they are putting factual information on his wikipedia page. If things aren't properly cited then delete them or ask for citations. You can contribute to wikipedia too, that is the point. As for it being self serving- he is running a campaign. Lots of people use wikipedia. He promoting himself/ the work he has done, and he is doing it through a popular public medium. I would do the same thing if running for election. I really would. You'd be foolish not to. Silly point.
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Who is funding your campaign?

To be fair, the is perhaps the exact silliest question to pose to this candidate of all candidates in the GE, as AFAIK he is the only candidate publishing on his website (the front page of it no less) the details of his campaign accounts. If you had looked at his website for even 10 seconds you could see that. No other candidate in DSE has done that and all claim they would bring transparency.

Q. You are running as an independent. Independents can't make laws, can't make changes to laws and can't even speak in the Dail if they are not in a technical group. Why should I vote for you instead of Creighton, or Quinn who will likely be in a position to make laws/actually debate in the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

As a young candidate, what's your stance on the issue of 3rd level fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Do you intend on putting any real policies on your website?

Much of the talk of political reform is based on the belief that parochial politics is harmful and short sighted. What is your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dannny1

You state that you want public sector pay negotiations in the Seanad. This effectively involves the press in negotiations. How do you refute the claim that private negotiations are a necessity in these types of negotiations, not simply to keep them secret but to maintain their integrity? How do you predict the press would effect the integrity of negotiatoins?

While running your public forum how will you combat the fact that most constituents problems are with other constituents and that by involving yourself so directly you will be forced to make an immediate decision and lose objectivity?

You advocate trimming the public seector, but fail to mention where and how (areas, figures, facts and reasons please)? Also, do you have a plan to re integrate the people whose jobs are gone back into the private sector? Do you have tax proposals? Which taxes would you alter to stimulate growth? Do you advocate increased taxes or cuts to spending? Is your decision ideologically motivated? How?

Advocating 'regular reviews of progress', basically stating that you want to reduce bureaucracy but also bring in some sort of target system? An indepenent body? If people don't meet the recquirements set by you or who you hire are they simply fired? Or trained? In the health service, would these targets be of the 'no. of patients treated' kind? How would you combat increased ineffieciency?

I realise you won't answer all of these questions. But if this thread stays as bare I would expect answers to the majority if them. Also, I expect numbers and percentages, not hopes and dreams. Please don't choose the easy ones, and please maintain integrity. For the record, I respect what you're doing, It's encouraging to see a young man get involved, whatever my opinion of your policies.

Thanks

(My p.ie username is HipPriest, just in case I'm accused of plagiarism)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

To be fair, the is perhaps the exact silliest question to pose to this candidate of all candidates in the GE, as AFAIK he is the only candidate publishing on his website (the front page of it no less) the details of his campaign accounts. If you had looked at his website for even 10 seconds you could see that. No other candidate in DSE has done that and all claim they would bring transparency.

Exactly how does anything on his website answer my question? :confused: Lot's of numbers alright but I don't see any names...not that he has to submit such things, I'd just love to know. What with the accusations of dodgy backers for Democracy Now and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

What's your position on abortion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

How do you feel about the protection of pensions and multitude of other OAP benefits, at the expense of un-necessecarily high taxation of the working class, purely to protect the "grey vote"?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

Name three items of Budget 2011 that you would change, and exactly what your alternative would be.

Name three items of Budget 2011 that you wouldn't change and why. It's a large document, you'll find something.

If you could choose which Department you could be a Minister of, which Department and name three changes you would make there in the first 100 days. Consider you have a fixed budget so if you spend somewhere, you have to choose to cut/levy elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

On your website, in section one of your policies, you rightly claim that a TD should be concerned with national issues and not local ones. And yet, section three of your policies is titled 'Reinvigorating the City' where you speak at length about your own constituency. Do you not find this a bit hypocritical?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stick to the Kebabs

Is the 'economy of ideas' really 'booming' or is it just a nonsense and vacuous soundbite/catchphrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

why go straight for the Dail, given the quite obvious lack of political experience, not to mention lack of policy making experience)?

Why not run in the council elections before trying to go for the dail?

You seem to have sussed the new social media aspect of campaigns, and have garnered support amongst it's adherents. How exactly are you going to turn what is essentially a facebook popularity event into getting actual voters into the booth to vote for you?

As mentioned, you're courting a youth vote, purely on the appeal that you're young too. how exactly is that a sensible plan given that the huge amount of actual voters tend to be in older age groups? how are you going to appeal to the vast majority who don't follow you on twitter?

How do you feel about the idea that your GE campaign could be ripped straight out of a Ross O'Carroll Kelly novel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Did you remember to hand in your application to get on the ballot?

Edit: Apparently so. Leaving it to the last minute like all the hip cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

whats yer favourite colour???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Ok we've had the Q.

Now wheres the A?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yaydarr

Dylan came into us yesterday and answered your questions - you can find the interview here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70732774

Advertisement