Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

part-time work, about 20hrs/week, how will it change my JSB?

• 08-02-2011 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi,
    i have a chance of some barwork and have checked the citizensinfo site but haven't got a conclusive answer.
    the work will be mon - thursday, 6 - 11, which is 20 hrs, will i have to change over to jobseekers allowance?
    PC

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If i am reading your post correctly you would be classed a having two days work you would therefore lose two days jsb,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you work 4 days you will not be paid any benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CurtisPadd

darn,
    i think you are right, i though you might get something if you worked half a week. if my 20 hrs (or less) were done in 2 days it would be worth it!
    unless anyone has any other angle on this?

If your 20 hrs are done over 3 days you get paid for 3 days if over 2 days you get paid for 4 days

if one of they 4 days they are offering you is sunday then you will get paid for 3 days because sunday is not counted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CurtisPadd

Thanks for replies.
    I rang social welfare office and I was told that I can work 20 hrs over 3 days and get job seekers benefit for the other 3 days.
    I still have a few other queries. will my medical card and rent allowence be effected?
    I was told it would be for a few months, will I have any trouble getting back on dole if when I finish up?
    PC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Squire7

CurtisPadd wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.
    will I have any trouble getting back on dole if when I finish up?
    PC

Is the work temporary? Will the 20 hours a week cover what you were getting on JSB?

CurtisPadd wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.
    I rang social welfare office and I was told that I can work 20 hrs over 3 days and get job seekers benefit for the other 3 days.
    I still have a few other queries. will my medical card and rent allowence be effected?
    I was told it would be for a few months, will I have any trouble getting back on dole if when I finish up?
    PC

You will have to contact your community welfare officer with regard to your rent allowance as far as I know you medical card is issued with an expiry date so if that has not expired there is no need to worry about that. You will have no problem getting back on to JSA as you will have to change your claim to a casual claim and will be paid by cheque... you will have to send in weekly dockets and if and when this employment is finished you will go back onto your normal rate of JSA once you notify your local office of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Im in a similar position to CurtisPadd in that i might be able to get some shifts on a temporary basis. Firstly, may i ask what the difference between JSB and JSA is? Also, Im assuming the amount you earn has a bearing on whether your entitled to part payment of dole... say if i make E280 pre-tax in 2 days, would that put me over the threshold for being eligible for payment on the other 4 days?

Bernice101 wrote: »
    Im in a similar position to CurtisPadd in that i might be able to get some shifts on a temporary basis. Firstly, may i ask what the difference between JSB and JSA is? Also, Im assuming the amount you earn has a bearing on whether your entitled to part payment of dole... say if i make E280 pre-tax in 2 days, would that put me over the threshold for being eligible for payment on the other 4 days?

Hi Bernice,

JSB is paid through your PRSI contributions. JSA is means tested. Are you on JSB or JSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Hi eastbone

I am on JSA, would i be cut off if i earn over a certain amount? It might be only a day of work here and there, but ive heard some horror stories like the guy on liveline yesterday who worked for a day or two and was no longer entitled to any assistance. So im wondering if ide be worse off in the long run.

• Advertisement

Bernice101 wrote: »
    Hi eastbone

I am on JSA, would i be cut off if i earn over a certain amount? It might be only a day of work here and there, but ive heard some horror stories like the guy on liveline yesterday who worked for a day or two and was no longer entitled to any assistance. So im wondering if ide be worse off in the long run.

Your claim will be changed to a casual status and you will have to get forms signed by your employer which will include the amount of pay you will be getting.
    Your earnings from your casual employment will be used as means but if you will only be working a day here and there I would think that you will still be entitled to some JSA. The means will be calculated and for every day you work in a week a certain amount will be taken off your JSA payment. If you work more than 3 days in a week you will not get any JSA. You will be given dockets to fill in to say what days you worked.

Advertisement