Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck with a new broken hoover

Options
  • 08-02-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi i have a hoover that has now broken for the second time the first time it broke i took it back to the shop and was given a new one it is only about the second time to use the new hoover and it has a burning smell coming from it and it keeps tripping the power in the house.

The trouble is when i brought it back the first time it was on sale at the time so the new receipt says i bought it at 55.99 this was bought for 140 it says on the receipt that this is an exchanged one.

So now they do not have any more of the hovers in stock and they do not no when they will be getting them in again if they will even so they can not give me an exchange and they can only give me a refund of 55.99 and will not offer a repair

This is the hoover here
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4065209/Trail/searchtext%3EVAX.htm
    As they do not have my one should i not be able to get a similar one that they do have in stock eg this one or an other hoover at the same value as i paid.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4064169/Trail/searchtext%3EVAX.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I have found one in stock in Tralee i was told if i wanted it i would have to go down there to get it myself i am not going to do over a 800 Km round trip for a hoover it should be up to argos to get it up to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they MUST refund the price you originally paid for the goods not whetever the price was when they replaced the first one for you.

have you got your original receipt? if the shop took this off you you must insist on getting it back unless you have some other proof of purchase showing the price you paid.

go back to the shop and tell them as they were unable to successfully replace your hoover with another that worked any better than the first you are now seeking a full refund.

you do not have to accept store credit or vouchers.

have a read of this http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Why did they take your receipt and give you a new one? How long ago was the original purchase and replacement?

Proof of purchase does not have to be a receipt although it's obviously the easiest. If you have a credit card bill it could be of use.

You don't have to take a smaller refund and I would expect them to ship the hoover to your nearest store if they're offering a replacement. However, keep in mind that if you can't come to and agreement with Argos you'd have to take it to the SCC to get anything.

Are Argos denying that you paid €140?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they MUST refund the price you originally paid for the goods not whetever the price was when they replaced the first one for you.

The trouble is it only has the price of the reduced one on it as when they scaned the box or put in the code of the hoover it came up at 55.99 i did not think anything at the time as i did not think i would run in to this trouble i am not sure why they did not give me back the old receipt.

I rember not so long ago you used to be able to order items that argos did not have in stock if they had them in an other shop.

The replacement is only a few weeks old and the original purchase was only a few weeks before christmas

The trouble is it only has the price of the reduced one on it as when they scaned the box or put in the code of the hoover it came up at 55.99 i did not think anything at the time as i did not think i would run in to this trouble i am not sure why they did not give me back the old receipt.

I rember not so long ago you used to be able to order items that argos did not have in stock if they had them in an other shop.
    they should have stapled your original receipt to this replacement receipt but either way they can easily look up the original purchase and print out a copy of the receipt.

you also state the receipt says it is an exchanged hoover so just tell them it originally cost you €140(they will be able to check the price you originally paid) and that they took the original receipt from you so you demand it back or you will be left no option but to go to the Small Claims Court.

• Advertisement

What about reciveing a simular one that they have in stock should i be able to do that ?

I think they should just get the one in stock in Tralee sent up to the shop im dealing with it would make things so much easyier.

i would not get another VAX as they seem to be made for argos and are not good by all accounts, maybe see if they have another hoover in the €140 price range that would suit your needs and ask about getting that instead.

there are quite a few in the €140 price range that are not VAX, have a look here

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

will ya stop bad mouthing Hoover when it is a different maker of vacumme that you have.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm confused, you say you have a broken hoover but then say its a VAX, I'm assuming you've confused the two brands.

Might be worth editing the title as its misleading and is pretty much paramount to saying your ford car is broken when you actually mean Toyota. Or that you hate Tayto's when you actually mean Walkers Crisps.

Yes perhaps I'm being pedantic but in fairness its correct and they are two different brands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Doesn't look like a Hoover, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Nightrider I havent worked in argos but in any retail store I worked it was the same. Each receipt has a receipt number, when you go to the customer services desk with your receipt ask them to enter the receipt number, this will then pull up your sale which should indicate the original sale and sale price and that you did not receive a refund.

Dont let it lie, they are required to keep the paperwork for a certain amout of time in their offices and if they state that they cannot access that information speak to a manager and insist that he/she find the original receipt as they requested it from you and see that you paid full price and that otherwise you will not let it lie.

My experience from working in customer services, I would always have gone out of my way to ensure that I could help a customer, if I couldnt the successful customers were the ones who stood their ground with management without losing the rag.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

davidoco wrote: »
    will ya stop bad mouthing Hoover when it is a different maker of vacumme that you have.

Oddly enough, both Vax and Hoover Vacuum cleaners are made by Techtronic Industries http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands

The Hoover Company actually no longer exists. It's branding was sold off after the Hoover Free Flights disaster in the UK which bankrupted the company.

In Europe, Candy has the rights to the Hoover name for large appliances e.g. washing machines, dryers etc.

While in North America, the brand only ever made vacuums etc.

Sadly, the quality of Hoover products has gone through the floor since it was turned into nothing more than a marketing tool by other companies buying into an old brand.

Vax, was also picked up by TTI Group, originally a very high quality British brand, sadly and their products are now also rather cheap and nasty too.

It's always worth doing a little research before purchasing something like this as some of the old iconic brands aren't what they used to be!

If you want to get a decent vacuum cleaner :
    Bosch, Philips, Miele, Nilfisk, Panasonic and Electrolux are all pretty good.

Stay away from Hoover, Vax and store own brands.

Anything < about €100 will be really noisy and pretty poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm confused, you say you have a broken hoover but then say its a VAX, I'm assuming you've confused the two brands.

In fairness to the OP -hoover is one of those brands that has moved from being a brand to being an everyday term (like to google something).

I think the correct term the OP should have used (to avoid confusion of pedantics- yes i get the irony that i'm being pedantic) is "Vacuum Cleaner" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Solair wrote: »
    If you want to get a decent vacuum cleaner :
    Bosch, Philips, Miele, Nilfisk, Panasonic and Electrolux are all pretty good.
    And henrys, the ones with the smiley faces you see in offices, there is a reason professional cleaners use them and they can be got cheaply enough.

I think we have an old looking electrolux in work that has been through the wars, and a newish dyson. I overheard the cleaners looking for "the good one", I went out presuming it was the dyson but they "didn't want that crap". There is an irish online store that sells henrys to the public, I think they used to be hard enough to get for normal punters, I see them on powercity online now. There might be professional versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Nilfisk was always pretty indestructible, if a bit pricy.

My granny's 1970s Nilfisk is still running perfectly!

Argos seems to have them.

I got it sorted got my full money back and there is loads of vacumme's on sale now :D

Advertisement