Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

translate into irish

Options
  • 08-02-2011 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

can anyone suggest a translation for 'fighting irish' into Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Tricky-ish. You can't really use a good direct translation for that: Trodaí Éireann is a possibility (lit. Irish fighters)... Here's a link to an Irish-English dictionary. Try a few different combinations or possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jmcadublin

Thanks for that. Had a feeling there wasn't a direct translation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You can always try asking in the Gaeilge forum?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭pooch90

Tricky-ish. You can't really use a good direct translation for that: Trodaí Éireann is a possibility (lit. Irish fighters)... Here's a link to an Irish-English dictionary. Try a few different combinations or possibilities.

Na Trodaí Eireannach(a) would be closer as Eireann just means Ireland, not Irish
    Or Trodaí Gaelach
    Would def check in Gaeilge forum though. My spelling and grammar in Irish are rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

pooch90 wrote: »
    Na Trodaí Eireannach(a) would be closer as Eireann just means Ireland, not Irish
    Or Trodaí Gaelach
    Would def check in Gaeilge forum though. My spelling and grammar in Irish are rubbish

Of course! Sh!te, my Irish has gotten truly awful in the last while. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭pooch90

Of course! Sh!te, my Irish has gotten truly awful in the last while. :o

Not to worry, had been thinking about it for best part of a day before the Gaelach part dawned on me!

Advertisement