Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JJB Gym

• 08-02-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about joining JJB or whatever its called now. :P

Does anyone know the membership rates now and also whether they have the usual facilities sauna, pool, tanning (for the misses) and free weights.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Various membership deals at the moment. €319 for 12 months, €99 for 3 months, €50 for 50 days et. Gym has all that you asked for, not sure about tanning, maybe in ladies changing rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Theres a sun bed yoke in the gents changing room so I'm sure ladies have one to!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I was a member for most of the year last year and loved it, dont have the time anymore.
    There is a standup sunbed in the ladies, there is a pool and sauna etc but to be honest there always seemed to be a problem with these facitilites - either the jacuzzi or sauna or steamroom (sometimes all) weren't working, don't know if they have sorted this out. Also there was an ongoing problem with the air conditioning, that said I used to go during the day and found the range of classes - spin etc really good.

would love to know if they got the problems sorted out, might make the time to rejoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey - I freelance teach classes over there (don't work for them, just work in there for some classes).

There were some issues last year that really needed ironing out and to be fair, they have got on top of some of those issues. Got rid of the jaquzzi ( :( ), as it was causing a lot of hassle, sauna and steam room seem to be grand these days but i don't really use these so can't fully comment. Sometimes people complain about the pool water temp but tbh it's something i never find a prob. From freelancing in a few other places, it's big and has a lot of classes on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Yes I've been hearing bad stories about JJB - was supposed to be top class when it first opened but the standards have progressively dropped since.

UL gym doesn't seem too bad, anyone know the rates for there, also whether you can purchase your membership in increments (3 months etc)

I'm interested in Dominator, got a flyer for it while buying protein and theres some deal on 99 for 3 months, don't actually know what the gym itself is like.

I've been looking at Grove Island but not too familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Limerick FC have a loylty card scheme starting up which costs €10, this gives discounts in a number of gyms like the one in the southcourt and the Strand, and also buy one get one free pizzas in Fourstar! So you have something to work off! :D More information here: http://limerickfc.ie/commercial/loyaltycard.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Auzirish

JJB has decent enough facilities, far more than UL (i've been a member of both). Depending what time you visit, it might be mobbed or relatively empty, in both places.

I stopped using UL because i was trying to use the pool a lot, and there seems to be swim meets on every other week, so the pool was closed to general public too often for me.

In regards to cost at JJB paying by monthly DD will almost double the cost of joining up front for the year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Auzirish wrote: »
    JJB has decent enough facilities, far more than UL (i've been a member of both).

You are joking?

JJB does not come near UL interms of facilities. Not even close. I am a member of both gyms currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Auzirish

john_cappa wrote: »
    You are joking?

JJB does not come near UL interms of facilities. Not even close. I am a member of both gyms currently.

speaking purely about the machines and weights section, maybe it's improved from 6 years ago, but it was pretty sparse then. not enough floor space...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Auzirish wrote: »
    speaking purely about the machines and weights section, maybe it's improved from 6 years ago, but it was pretty sparse then. not enough floor space...

Ive been in and out of UL for 8 odd years, recently joined back up to jjb having not trained there in 3 years or so (50 quid for 50 days)

The way I see it......

UL has dumbells up to 60/70 kg that go in 2/2.5 kg jumps----jjb is up to 50 in 4 kg jumps from 30 on

UL has 4 adjustable benches that can be used for flat barbell press
    JJB has one incline, decline, flat

UL has two squat racks with cages and several squat stands, jjb has one rack, no cages

UL has every type of bar/attachment imaginable, jjb has no selection of bars except the very basics (ridiculous really)

UL has a dedicated lifting platform with bumper plates

Machine wise its fairly even, jjb have some nice lever machines that ul dont and UL have some nice ones that JJB dont have.

JJB cardio machines have tellies, UL dont

JJB is tidy, UL is often a mess as the staff are too busy on facebook to give a ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

For the avaerage joe who tips away with a bit of cardio and weights jjb is the best value!
    For more serious powerlifting/oly lifting etc UL is superior no arguments!
    Just depends what your after realy!

Advertisement